Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

400lbs teardrop
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

not sure I posted this in the right place

any opinions on this ?
i's supposed to be a 400lbs teardrop
looks to be about $6500 (01/09/2023)

https://roadtoadcampers.com/index.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

Just an opinion from someone that's never slept in one of these. Why? no room in the bus? I've slept in lots of different cars but I've never had any interest in a tear drop. Way too small for me and would be a pain in my butt to trailer this around to places I go. Everyone has their own idea and methods to camp but this isn't one I'd go for. Not to mention just another thing to find a place to store around here 99% of the time.
The beauty of the Bus is it can do it all in a small and efficient manner. I'd focus on how to make my bus work as a camper before I pulled the trigger on one of these. Maybe there's a place you could rent one to try it our first?
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

good tips

I was think of a longer run then just a week or so, more like a 2 year tour
having some place to store a few things and lock them up (yea false security) and get stuff out of the van, haul the bikes, ....

but yea, dragging a trailer around isn't ideal
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

Back in the 1980's I built a little box trailer to tow behind my Westy that I used to store firewood, lawn chairs and stuff. It freed up space in the bus, but was hell to back up, and now there are more strict rules on transporting firewood, which was my main reason for the trailer so I don't use it anymore.

1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382

Last edited by Globespotter on Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

a small trailer behind a bus makes sense for luggage, spare clothes, food, water, tools etc., the kinds of things that get in the way. I pulled a small six person tent trailer back to Gainesville GA from Riverside CA for the SCCA finals one year because the 71 bus was full of tools and spare parts, engines etc., for the race car, plus we needed extra bunks. Looking back it would have been just as easy and cost efficient to rent a motel room but it was nice being alone and out near a big lake after each day's hectic activities.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

I pull this trailer often and it frees up a lot of space.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips

I was thinking of using a HF 4x8 but with the feedback maybe a 4x4 would be enough to do the job and a lot less the $6500
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that 400lb trailer is likely going to be well over 1000lbs by the time you outfit it with your stuff. And speaking from experience, you won't just be moving what's already in the Bus over to the trailer. When you have the space, you'll find even more things to bring along on trips.

I have a ~600lb Eriba Puck that I sometimes pull with a Thing. I wouldn't dream of hitting the mountains with it. It pulls OK on the flat lands, but definitely not an easy drive. Pulling that trailer with my Bus with the same 1600 engine would be horrible I think.
If you have a more powerful engine, maybe it wouldn't be too much of an issue?

All that being said, we've had tin top Busses for the past 5 years. With a family of 4 (and the kids getting bigger), using the trailer along with the Bus is a game changer for giving all of us a comfortable sleep, even if it means we sometimes have to bring 2 vehicles to make it happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Homey '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the teardrop/bus combo. We've pulled this one for 1000's of miles on the standard dual port engine. I kept it coastal and avoided the Sierras. I recently upgraded to a 2L stroker and we can go anywhere with it. It weighs in at about 1000lbs. In my opinion a teardrop is not quite an RV, and neither is a bus, so the marriage of the tow vehicle and the trailer is key. We camp a lot more than we would without it. My wife and I sleep in the trailer's queen sized bed and the kids sleep in the bus. Besides the comfy bed, our favorite feature is the galley in the back. I would not consider buying a teardrop trailer without one. The last photo is how I've set up the bus interior for lounging.

PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 400lbs teardrop Reply with quote

that's a nice setup
I like the PIT tag on the trailer too
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: