Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remixing old paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Remixing old paint Reply with quote

I bought a 74 Panel that was painted with PPG DAR Delstar Acrylic Enamel (color L54D Marina Blue) The job is a couple of yrs old.P/O gave me a gal. can that has about 3in of paint in the bottom that has seperated and become lumpy tho not to bad. Is there a way to Remix the paint well enough to use for touching up a few parking lot dings and what do I use to thin it? Thanks,DavidK
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sombody help a brother out?
onelowzuki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you can try this but I won't make any promises. Take the can to nearest home improvment place, have them put it in their shaker. Most big time chain stores won't let you but it won't hurt to try. When its is done pop the can open to see if it looks ok, If it does I would guess to say it is ok. I would put some on a test panel just to be sure though. Just thin it with enamel reducer when you need to spay it.
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to get a stir stick and scrape all the crud on the bottom of the can loose and then shake it.
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you take it to be shaken, why not buy a little quart can at the home store and move the paint to the smaller can. That will help the shaking work and will make it last a little longer once you do get it mixed up.

Of course, you could just transfer it to a pint or quart jar and start stirring with the stick. Might take a 1/2 hour, but that is much less time than it takes for me to drive to the store. Add a couple table spoons of thinner if you want.

Chubber
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reducer not a cleaning thinner(lacquer).
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.I know the fellow at the paint dpt. at Home Depot.I'll have him add reducer and shake the shit out of it then transfer it to a pint can. Thanks again!
David K.
70 Weekender
71 Deluxe
74 Panel
onelowzuki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend buying the same brand of reducer that the paint is
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: