Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom's lives on Reply with quote

Tom J. has been a busy guy at the museum and has been cleaning up around the outside and inside, too. He's moved several of the buses from out in front and is looking to possibly sell some of the bay windows and some of the newer (68 up) bugs. Some pet projects are still NOT FOR SALE, but there are parts to be had, new windsheilds for bugs, some doors and bus sections....and a few domestic vehicles.
Ragtop Rich
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Tom's 23 bd Reply with quote

The April issue of Hot VW's shows a picture of TomTom's 23 window barndoor in Vegas. The guys at KCW in Grand Junction CO did a great job in getting this back on the road. Tom would have been pleased.
Rich
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
DHPfirefighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just now read this entire thread. What a great story. Does anybody know if the "yard" is till there? I would love to go check out all of the old 'dubs.
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: VW graveyard Reply with quote

I ran across another, though smaller, VW graveyard in western Nebraska. There are 3-4 dozen various VW's there. Mostly bugs from 58 & up, some bay window buses and a few type 3's. I posted some ads to help the guy move some of them. I am going out there to pick up my car Aug. 28-29. I will be taking more pictures to post when I get back and hopefully have some pricing to go with each. I already have some specific ones to check over and another friend is picking up a few for himself.
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad and brother just got back from Moab a week or so ago. They were excited to tell me about a yard with a bunch of VWs. I didn't realize this was what they were talking about. Groovy. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there. My fiance really wants to go down the river.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PaintSum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow,, just read this whole thread,,, pretty cool stories and Tom Tom sounds like the typical old collector...

Same scenario happened here in Kansas.. There was an old salvage yard with cars you would not believe.. Goes WAYYYY beyond what Tom Tom has here.. I bought a 53 desoto grille off the guy back in 1992 and I could not believe what was still in the yard... HEMI CUDAS!!! old 30's cars that were buildable rare packards,, nash's, Hell there were HEMI blocks laying in a pile in one area... It was a rod builders dream place. There was over 100 acres of 30's thru 70's cars. The guy was super cool and would work with you on prices,, of course this was before internet and STEALBAY! anyway to the point of this story..

bout in 1995 the EPA comes in and runs some soil samples and what not.. long story short. Everything in this yard,, and I am not kidding EVERYTHING WAS CRUSHED and salvaged to pay EPA FINES!!!! Evil or Very Mad The place was gutted and 5 foot of dirt here and there was removed over the 100 acres to clean up the area. This place had been there since 1937 you can imagine what they found under the ground..Problem is it happens so fast you dont have the time to turn the money on the cars even if you wanted too.. They want this shit cleaned up YESTERDAY!

Better be hoping this place is not next to some special runoff watershed area. although in the desert you "might" be safe. All it takes is one mouth to ruin a good thing. I hope lots of the spillages of these VW's are contained.. This has happened in more yards around here... Remote areas could be targets as more "GREEN" legislation is passed..

Just a thought.. God would that be a shame Jesus!! almost make you sick
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom's Reply with quote

The yard isn't in some watershed, but the city has been pressuring Tom to clean it up and he has been doing a good job of that and re-organizing the cars. He's managed to sell off a few here and there. I haven't been back in a year, but may get another chance to run by there again.
Rich
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom's Reply with quote

For any that might still be looking at this website. Tom sent a link to an article in Moab Happenings.
Go to www.moabhappenings.com/historic.htm
It's an interesting article.
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Miller wrote:
LCB wrote:
Tom Tom passed away on January 13th

tkarnold (TomTom)Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:56 pm

He was involved with this site and the VW community until the end.

R.I.P. Tom

His last login was on the 13th Shocked . He was involved to the very very end. You will be missed. Cool
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to TOm's place this weekend, tried to talk him out of a swivel seat base from one of the only 2 or 3 Vanagons on his place. I failed.

He has zero water-cooled vehicles there, he got rid of all of them.

He claims he will rarely part-out a full van.

Super nice guy, very knowledgable.

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
ajbuggin8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoonerDave wrote:
Went to TOm's place this weekend, tried to talk him out of a swivel seat base from one of the only 2 or 3 Vanagons on his place. I failed.

He has zero water-cooled vehicles there, he got rid of all of them.

He claims he will rarely part-out a full van.

Super nice guy, very knowledgable.

is it tom jr that runs it now, is there alot of stuff there still. did u take pictures, i would/looooove to drive up there but only if its worth it.
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Tom Tom BD Reply with quote

Just a note that there is a thread tracking the rebuild and subsequent sales and international travel of the '54 barndoor 23-deluxe that Ol' Tom had. go to the forum and search "The Tom Tom BD"
Rich
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom BD Reply with quote

Rich Hanson wrote:
Just a note that there is a thread tracking the rebuild and subsequent sales and international travel of the '54 barndoor 23-deluxe that Ol' Tom had. go to the forum and search "The Tom Tom BD"
Rich

or you could just post a link to the thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2290141#2290141

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RTope13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

For all those that are still following this thread, will be happy to know.
After Tom passed, his son is a VW enthusiast and has kept some and sold most of them. Me and my son made the trip back in May and saved a 68.Solid car natural patina and has been down there since 83. Hes been selling them off and most are being put back on the road. The car club im in weve saved 8+. So they havent gone to the crusher. Sold overseas and to fellow dubbers
VWsInTheWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

I know tnis is an old thread but i was feeling i needed to revive it. I have debated for weeks, but now i see someone has beaten me to it, and to talk tom up, so now i'd feel guilty if i said nothing.

I had not been on tne samba for years, so i made a name just to log in and let folks know...tread lightly.

I don't know if working on a vw trike project qualifies him as a "vw enthusiast" like the last user said...lol.
He just inherited the stuff. He knows..."some". He claims to have "restored over 300" VWs though.
Lots of that type of wild exaggeration that i just dismissed as colorful jaw flapping.
The "oldest car in tne yard" he wants more for, because it is a '58. Vin was pretty clear, and it seems to be a '62.

*There are definitely some buildable cars, some fairly intact. Then some good ons that are buried up past the rockers from a flood years ago.
Maybe 2-3 dozen 1962-67s, from shells to almost complete.
Lots of 68-up bugs and ghias. A couple of dozen 1970s Type IIs..

Being years late for the party, (tom sr. Died what, 8 yrs ago?), i found out about this collection earlier this year. But there are no pictures online posted by the owners, no facebook anymore, nothing. No action at all.
Googling, really you get nothing except local moab profiles of tom sr., travel blogs and photographer's pics, (nothing newer than 2015-16) a couple of videos (the newest is an aerial clip from 2016...and there were still cars)..and this thread on the samba.

And no new posts on this thread for years.
Come to find out cars have still been trickiling out...still.

So i Talked to the widow, the son, and went down.

It has been lots or odd things, and some red flags but i got involved.

******At this time i don't want to get into the specifics, but i want to ask anyone who has had an issue with him of any kind, to please contact me via PM.******

Maybe your voice can be heard, i am having to enlist the help of the legal system there to get my money back. Or any action.
I can't begin to explain the wild stuff he has pulled while supposedly titling two cars. Simple to do.
Something that I have had another, honest man in utah do on another car, then lose the title and get a duplicate...all while moab tom has delayed and unfotunately...lied.

I have been doing this stuff for a long time, and this guy is bold. My experience has been quite bad, and despite many options being given to him to *resolve* this amicably, he has completely avoided taking part.
*Even after his mother (the actual business owner) promised me a refund in late June!

Just please be careful, and preferrably take what you buy out right then.
* if that scenario suits you, then yes, you will likely be fine and never see how this gentleman operates!

Oh he did share that he will not deal with "any of those california people".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

From another thread, it's for sale
13-ball wrote:
Maybe this was noted elsewhere but thought it's worth getting the word out.

Link to real estate listing...

https://moabrealestate.com/property-for-sale-details/1341-MILL-CREEK-DR-MOAB-UT-84532/1537084/257/

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

$900,000 for a Highly Visible Hwy. Frontage on two streets (1341 Mill Creek Dr. & 1379 Spanish Valley Dr.) Bring your Thoughts and Dreams to this 0.97 Acre Highway Commercial Zoned property. Vehicles are negotiable. 110/220 V 3 Phase.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

From Google Maps, it doesn't look to be on a highway frontage and I can't see the freeway from the street view so any additional value from that seems unwarranted IMHO.

Maybe someone who has been there can confirm differently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
From Google Maps, it doesn't look to be on a highway frontage and I can't see the freeway from the street view so any additional value from that seems unwarranted IMHO.

It’s been 10-15 years since I have been to Moab but I believe the junkyard is somewhat visible from the small highway that runs through town. That is assuming the properties right along the highway haven’t been built up.

Does anyone know if that’s a reasonable price for a commercial property in Moab? I would have expected less but it’s possible Moab has gone through some changes since I’ve been there last.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
EverettB wrote:

It’s been 10-15 years since I have been to Moab but I believe the junkyard is somewhat visible from the small highway that runs through town. That is assuming the properties right along the highway haven’t been built up.

Does anyone know if that’s a reasonable price for a commercial property in Moab? I would have expected less but it’s possible Moab has gone through some changes since I’ve been there last.

From what I hear that is pretty reasonable for Moab. The properties around the museum are going for more than that. Moab is turning into a tourist trap.

I was just down at the museum last weekend. Everything is lined up and a lot of the vehicles that were there are gone now. its looking pretty good but sad to see it all disappear. I bought a 63 Beetle from him last month. And had to go down there to pick up some things for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: