Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey I think its sad. The chance of those cars getting saved are very low wile roting in his yard, and yes I think hes being an ass hole about it.

But theres no reason for you to act like that about it. Its a free country I have the right to think anyone I want is an ass hole.

And yes there are a few cars that I wouldn't mind getting my hands on, but at this point its not something I am worried about. I just wish he would unload those cars and give them a chance to be saved.

I agree with you... Wink

It is sad that all those bugs and buses will just sit there and not be restored and enjoyed by someone who really appreciates them. His obsession with hoarding stuff doesn't help the VW world. Wouldn't you rather see them restored and back on the road again??? I know I would. Why is it that if someone cuts windows in a panel it's looked down upon yet it's o.k. to hoard vw's and let them sit and rot??? Rolling Eyes I think it's a shame to see all these wonderful vw's sitting their waiting for someday to come and belong to someone who truely appreciates them. I'm sorry but I don't buy the "I love vw's" as you let them sit and rot. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkncarl wrote:
......... I'm sorry but I don't buy the "I love vw's" as you let them sit and rot. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But it's a "dry" rot.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdub wrote:
Hey I think its sad. The chance of those cars getting saved are very low wile roting in his yard, and yes I think hes being an ass hole about it.

But theres no reason for you to act like that about it. Its a free country I have the right to think anyone I want is an ass hole.

And yes there are a few cars that I wouldn't mind getting my hands on, but at this point its not something I am worried about. I just wish he would unload those cars and give them a chance to be saved.

Yes, it's a free country, so he can do whatever he wants w/ his cars, capiche?

Why don't you show the guy some respect, he was probably back from the war 20 years and wrenching on VW's before you were even born. I'm rooting for him, anybody who pisses off both the Yuppies and VW greedheads in the same breath is A-OK by me.

It's people like you that keeps TomTom's alive, this I'm sure. Personally, I'm glad he's doing it.
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom's VW Museum Reply with quote

Well, it's quite clear that "VDUB" will never talk Tom out of one of his cars. I have no doubt that when I can afford my next project, I will have no trouble purchasing one of these from Tom. He doesn't want to sell it to some dumba-- that critcizes him for not parting with his collection...and especially one that says he doesn't want one anyway...SOUR GRAPES! Tom is a wonderful character and if VDUB had bothered to talk to Tom with even the slightest bit of respect....and some courtesy...he might have a different opinion of Tom. For someone like VDUB, I doubt Tom would sell one of his cars to him at ANY price....I sure as hell wouldn't!
Tom is looking for good homes for his prizes. He doesn't need your money, but he's not stupid either. He knows what they're worth and he does have sons to take over...someday. These cars aren't rotting (not roting) in his yard. I've recently been there and spent an entire afternoon looking over this place. He let some guys come in and look around and they repaid him by ripping him off, taking the steering wheel off his 52 splittie. Those guys are the real "assholes" and the reason a nice guy like Tom is skeptical about peoples motives. I'm surprised he lets anybody in there any more.
Ragtoprich
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom's VW Museum Reply with quote

Rich Hanson wrote:
Well, it's quite clear that "VDUB" will never talk Tom out of one of his cars. I have no doubt that when I can afford my next project, I will have no trouble purchasing one of these from Tom. He doesn't want to sell it to some dumba-- that critcizes him for not parting with his collection...and especially one that says he doesn't want one anyway...SOUR GRAPES! Tom is a wonderful character and if VDUB had bothered to talk to Tom with even the slightest bit of respect....and some courtesy...he might have a different opinion of Tom. For someone like VDUB, I doubt Tom would sell one of his cars to him at ANY price....I sure as hell wouldn't!

Thats nice criticize me for caring about the well being of hundreds of VW's. I am such a bad person. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom's VW Museum Reply with quote

vdub wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:

Thats nice criticize me for caring about the well being of hundreds of VW's. I am such a bad person. Rolling Eyes

One old man is worth a lot more than a hundred old cars.
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no doubt that when I can afford my next project, I will have no trouble purchasing one of these from Tom.

Well I guess you must be in his will.... Shocked

Lucky You!!! Wink
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this forum for a bit now and feel it is time to chime in. there is a real good chance that if TomTom had not saved these VWs most of them would be toasters right now. back in the day i am sure that the metal scap yard didnt care if it was a ultra rare type 2 or early type 1, they just wanted the bulk metal, and this man stopped 200+ cars from recieving this fate. i myself am doing the same thing, earlier this year i saved an original 56 ghia from going to the chopping block, now will i get it back together? i would like to think that someday i might but even if i dont it is still a whole car with all the parts, that someday some future owner will appreciate survived. i save every VW i can from scrap yards and crushers, i save 7 bay window buses in late 2004, do i like baywindows? not particularly but none-the-less there are people who do and if i wouldnt have nabbed them they would not exist today, i have currently resued 35 VWs from ending up with an unknown fate, at liest with me they are in a dry climate being preserved for future owners, and on that topic TomTom has every right to be super picky who he sells to, i am too, in fact i have never sold any of the VWs yet becouse none of the prospective buyers seemed genuinely interested in restoring any of my VWs just in making a quick buck. you have to think how much time he has into his collection, he doesnt want to see his efforts end up destoyed, there are many cheap VWs out there that can be nabbed from lots of people, if your a "flipper" dont come around people like TomTom and myself, couse you will not get far......

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval_addict wrote:
I have been following this forum for a bit now and feel it is time to chime in. there is a real good chance that if TomTom had not saved these VWs most of them would be toasters right now. back in the day i am sure that the metal scap yard didnt care if it was a ultra rare type 2 or early type 1, they just wanted the bulk metal, and this man stopped 200+ cars from recieving this fate. i myself am doing the same thing, earlier this year i saved an original 56 ghia from going to the chopping block, now will i get it back together? i would like to think that someday i might but even if i dont it is still a whole car with all the parts, that someday some future owner will appreciate survived. i save every VW i can from scrap yards and crushers, i save 7 bay window buses in late 2004, do i like baywindows? not particularly but none-the-less there are people who do and if i wouldnt have nabbed them they would not exist today, i have currently resued 35 VWs from ending up with an unknown fate, at liest with me they are in a dry climate being preserved for future owners, and on that topic TomTom has every right to be super picky who he sells to, i am too, in fact i have never sold any of the VWs yet becouse none of the prospective buyers seemed genuinely interested in restoring any of my VWs just in making a quick buck. you have to think how much time he has into his collection, he doesnt want to see his efforts end up destoyed, there are many cheap VWs out there that can be nabbed from lots of people, if your a "flipper" dont come around people like TomTom and myself, couse you will not get far......

You know what your right. I didn't think about it from that angle.

and buy the way I hate flippers to. They are the ones driving prices up for there own gain and in the long run we have to absorb that and they get to run with the money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"flippers" are draining the life out of our hobby...this may sound like a harsh statement but its true, and unfortunately it takes place in every hobby. i would say to boycot these "sellers" but i have found myself buying things i cannot live without, so to each there own i guess.......

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which one is worse...the flipper or the hoarder Crying or Very sad
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People like Myself are not "hoarders" we are preservers. We preserve these wonderful little cars for people who are genuinely interested in them.

Main Entry: hoard
Function: verb
transitive senses
1 : to lay up a hoard of
2 : to keep (as one's thoughts) to oneself
intransitive senses : to lay up a hoard
- hoard·er noun

Main Entry: pre·serve
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): pre·served; pre·serv·ing
1 : to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : PROTECT
2 a : to keep alive, intact, or free from decay b : MAINTAIN
3 a : to keep or save from decomposition b : to can, pickle, or similarly prepare for future use
4 : to keep up and reserve for personal or special use

vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval_addict wrote:
"flippers" are draining the life out of our hobby...this may sound like a harsh statement but its true, and unfortunately it takes place in every hobby. i would say to boycot these "sellers" but i have found myself buying things i cannot live without, so to each there own i guess.......

I think boycotting is a great idea. after a wile they will have to unload it cheaper and maybe if they loose money a few times that will move on to something other then VW's.

I have fun hunting for deals so to me I have no problem passing up on something that i think is priced to high.
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippers ~ keep the vw out in the market so we can still drive them...

Hoarders ~ keep the vw in their backyards so NOBODY can drive them...

hhmmm I know which one is worse... Laughing
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkncarl wrote:

Wile I am with you on hoarders the problem with flippers is they price there cars so high that only upper class people can buy them and for that matter a lot of those cars leave the states and there gone forever.
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkncarl wrote:

You my friend are missing the point, we are not Hoarders we are preservers, there is a difference Wink

spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you're not a hoarder if you're willing to flip them so someone else can restore them and get it back on the road... Laughing

or if YOU yourself are restoring them... Wink

Just whatever you do, DON'T let them sit.... Crying or Very sad
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest with you, i would rather have them sit than be put on the road and destroyed becouse the person who owns it just thinks its a car....

vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval_addict wrote:
To be honest with you, i would rather have them sit than be put on the road and destroyed becouse the person who owns it just thinks its a car....

Very true, I have seen some ovals driving down the road in a bad state of repair. Like some 16 tear old driving a split bus that dosnt have any brakes. In a case like that it would be better for the car to sit.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkncarl wrote:
I don't know which one is worse...the flipper or the hoarder Crying or Very sad

Sour grapes on the hoarder comment... No one is saying you can't put together a stash of your own. For some things - money can't buy them - but rare parts (or even complete vehicles) in trade can however. If you ask me, you're foolish not to be stocking away some sort of trading stock. You complain, I'll hoard. Laughing Laughing

As for the guys dogging TomTom out, you might be better off in the Chevy or Ford end of the auto spectrum. VW's have always attracted the oddballs, I think it all started w/ having the engine in the rear. Anyway, to me, that's a big part of the allure. Weirdos, freaks, hippies, hardcore DIY'ers - you name it - we've got it. Sometimes I think the majority opinion on this site is far more to the "normal" side of the spectrum than it should be.

No wonder I have no desire to go to VW shows...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: