Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Roach
Samba Deputy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

So I got a call a few months ago from a man in moab utah introducing himself as Tom Tom. He told me he has a yard with many, many old volkswagens. After doing a little research on the samba, I found pics of his yard, and sure enough, it exists. Has anyone been down here? It looked like there were a hundred or so. How many vw are there really? And of coarse the most important question, is he willing to sell any at a reasonable price? I saw he had a banged up split down there, but heard that he wont part with it? What can the forum tell me about this guy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on down we'll all go together. homeboy invited me to come over this spring too. Quoted me prices so high I thought I was going to have a nosebleed.

Still, some of us southerners plan on making a trip this spring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to deal with tom-tom years ago. he's an alright guy, just set in his ways. he doesn't have a "junkyard", it's a "museum" to circumvent zoning problems. how/why did tom-tom call you?
at the time i dealt with him (early 90's), he would only sell whole cars, and you had to get them out yourself. that would pose a major challenge since most of them had not been moved in many, many years. i also remember something like each vehicle was $2500, non-negotiable.
unfortunately, i haven't been there in a few years. i love that part of the world.
there is/was also a guy, lin ottinger, who gave tours of the canyonlands (on the jeep trails, not the wimpy paved roads) in 23 and 21 window busses. one of the best trips i ever took was on one of his adventures. is he still around doing that?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moab Utah is only about a 7 hr drive for me hmm I wonder should I or shouldn't I.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there last year, I posted pics, no secet and harder then hell to get anything from him and he does have the shit there. He is not a stupid man and loves when all these VW people come there and give him their stories of woo and shit. He'll sit there and listen, let you rummage through the yard, grab a few little tidbits, then bend you over backwards if you want it. He has a computer, knows how to use it, watchs the SAMBA classified and does make some shows. I met him years ago at Phoenix Bugorama.
There s a real nice SC there, he quoted me 4 k when I got back to AZ thought about it, well when followed through it wasn't for sale anymore.
Want to hear a good story ask him about the BD Deluxe he has.
My friend did get some 15 inch beauty rings from him.
Maybe we should have a Moab camp-out and everyone invade his place all at once Idea
It is worth a visit though.

hint. You really need to like cats
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known Tom for quite some time,he's very interesting to put it mildly.He really does not need any money,and,well if you want any of Tom's stuff,you need to pay Tom's price.If it's offered you better buy it on the spot.Don't be a lagerhead and waffle on the price.If you do,you won't be welcome twice.I stop in every time I go that way just to BS and catch up (that takes about half a day) and to camp at the park.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of the place when I lived in Utah also....Never seen any pics or any stories of it till now....

Dave there is a guy down in Payson by the name of Damion...he owns this car.....Do you know him?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: vw graveyard Reply with quote

lin ottinger had/has? a great shop there in Moab. I spoke to him about 10 years ago or so when visiting Moab about his deluxe buses. If my memory is correct, he bought 8 new deluxe buses in 1965 to launch his tour to the badlands and Arches Nat'l Monument business. At the time of our meeting he had 3 still on the road and the rest were being used as parts buses...a hell of alot more classy than the jeeps that were replacing them, it would be one cool ride through Arches at night in the full moon with the top rolled back on a deluxe!!!!!!! It is bone dry down there, so the VW st;uff should be also. Maybe the guy does have a gold mine there. Post some pics if you go. At those prices they are not going to sell fast and maybe will be there as long as the Arches themselves.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
Was there last year, I posted pics, no secet and harder then hell to get anything from him and he does have the shit there. He is not a stupid man and loves when all these VW people come there and give him their stories of woo and shit. He'll sit there and listen, let you rummage through the yard, grab a few little tidbits, then bend you over backwards if you want it. He has a computer, knows how to use it, watchs the SAMBA classified and does make some shows. I met him years ago at Phoenix Bugorama.
There s a real nice SC there, he quoted me 4 k when I got back to AZ thought about it, well when followed through it wasn't for sale anymore.
Want to hear a good story ask him about the BD Deluxe he has.
My friend did get some 15 inch beauty rings from him.
Maybe we should have a Moab camp-out and everyone invade his place all at once Idea
It is worth a visit though.

hint. You really need to like cats

A lonely guy with cats and over-priced VW's with an attitude, no thanks.

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Roach
Samba Deputy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMonster wrote:
I've heard of the place when I lived in Utah also....Never seen any pics or any stories of it till now....

Dave there is a guy down in Payson by the name of Damion...he owns this car.....Do you know him?

I cant say I've ever seen this bug before, and I travel to Payson all the time. I thought I was the only vw guy in southern Utah county but I'll be damned. He must have moved here from somewhere else, cause no way someone from Payson could build a car that sick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Roach
Samba Deputy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know what Tom Tom whats for his split? That, and has anyone ever tried to trade him anything? And whats this about the cats? Is it for real?
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Roach wrote:
KombiMonster wrote:

I cant say I've ever seen this bug before, and I travel to Payson all the time. I thought I was the only vw guy in southern Utah county but I'll be damned. He must have moved here from somewhere else, cause no way someone from Payson could build a car that sick.

You might be surprised at what comes out of Payson, or, actually, out HCR250, at a place called LaCienega Ranch.... Don't try getting in there, you'll just have to take my word for it.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Roach wrote:

It's funny because when I lived there (Orem,UT) I helped him start this car....then he painted it and got rid of it....this is about 5years ago....He got the car back about 8 months ago!..He's currently looking for a good en-expensive motor to throw in it and drive it...(for the first, time) Real nice guy..(he's about 30).pm me if you know of a motor or just want to meet up with him..oh he know of a kewl oval n a garage...tell him to get off his ace and get it!

*WANTED*
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Roach wrote:
Does anybody know what Tom Tom whats for his split? That, and has anyone ever tried to trade him anything? And whats this about the cats? Is it for real?

If I remember right 6 k.
As for the cats, well 1 day we went there to meet him. We needed to get home so called him on his cell phone. About a half hour later he pulled up in his Ford pick me up truck and headed to the front door. It was amazzing, the dam cats know the sound of his truck and before he even turned it off a herd of cats came out of nowhere to his front door. Before he even opened the door he proceeded to open a dead fridge and get CANS of cat food out and proceeded to feed them all. We had to step over cats to get in. When we left a cat wasn't to be seen, they all ate and went back to hiding where ever cats hide.
If ever in the area it's worth stopping by, just to be amazzed at the stuff he has, specialy in the building!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is his place on the north side of Moab right off the highway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been past his yard. If my memory serves me right, he's on the south side of town on the way to one of the mountain bike rides outside of town (yeah I know good description that could be about anywhere!). I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was on the way to Flat Pass trail.
Roamingwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the south side of Moab:

Hwy 191 northbound. Approaching Moab, at the first gas station within the city limit (yellow signage,) turn right. At the first 4-way stopsign, turn left. 3 to 5 miles down, look to your right. You won't miss it.

Time your visit to avoid NASCAR or Bronco games.

Cash talks BS walks.. and what other's have said.

Be personable. You get a better chance that way.

Good luck.
54threefold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: MOAB UT. Reply with quote

ive been there to, just like alot of other people has, toms in his early 80s as for the split its not for sale, that belongs to his son tom, tom is a hell of a nice old guy, he came to vegas last year we talked for along time about vws, he has a 55, 23 window that rolled off a mountain in 56 i believe, he turn down 50,000. from a guy in england, the bad part about all them vws are, until tom goes up stairs,(passes) then i do think his son tom will start saleing stuff, but hes a good old boy, i like him, tom
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk softly, be careful what you say, kiss his ass and get bent over on the prices? No thanks, I'll pass. Rolling Eyes
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamingwesty wrote:
From the south side of Moab:

Hwy 191 northbound. Approaching Moab, at the first gas station within the city limit (yellow signage,) turn right. At the first 4-way stopsign, turn left. 3 to 5 miles down, look to your right. You won't miss it.

Time your visit to avoid NASCAR or Bronco games.

Cash talks BS walks.. and what other's have said.

Be personable. You get a better chance that way.

Good luck.

Ok, I have stopped at that gas station and thought about driving down that road but didn't. Next trip I will. I also noticed a few VW's on the north side of moab on the way to archs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: