Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping Doors and large parts
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

Who is a good shipper to go through for a pair of heavy large packaged doors? I've called UPS ($1100), USPS (too large), DHL ($1400 for air, not sure on sea shipment yet they are closed), who else is there? FedEx I think said $559.

California to the UK... 69LBS... big... how are guys shipping these? Someones gotta be cheaper... ?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plane ticket & stuff your undies in them.... bus or boat.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard recently that Fastenall (the nut and bolt place) will ship from store to store, presumably using their delivery trucks. You should check them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shipped a large piece of exercise equipment from TX to MA and used:

Jeremy Bauer
Logistics Broker
214-295-7430
[email protected]
www.myfreightbroker.net

I don't know if he handles international but he is a good guy to talk to. Maybe he can help?
Flush_Gordon337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know someone with a UPS account, have them check. I shipped a bunch of stuff to England. They guy I was shipping to had his company send a call ticket for the packages. Complete with customs and shipping info. It was about a 1/3 of the price I got from UPS. Still not cheap but better.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not what you want to hear, but $559 sounds like a pretty good price for two doors to the UK. The dimensions are gonna kill you no matter what.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

Hello yall. Im looking at getting a T1 door shipped coast to coast. Ive had good luck with Fastenal, but last time i tried using them they weren't driving their trucks across coast.

Any recomendations?

Thanks
Aiden
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

Greyhound?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

I just checked their calculator. Unfortunately, they be a little pricey. The great thing about Fastenal was you put your item on a pallet and the prices rarely differ. i shipped a fully loaded 40 horser for like 135 during the beginning of the pandemic.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

Well SURELY something is amiss from their calculator.

Because we all know that during the past year and a half everything has gotten cheaper and easier, and there are NO logistical or transportation issues effecting the country.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:

Because we all know that during the past year and a half everything has gotten cheaper and easier, and there are NO logistical or transportation issues effecting the country.

Wheres the love the sarchasm button??

Very Happy

Alden - use the Samba and find people moving/travelling cross country and get it moved in stages. Use the Samba Force for Good.

This is also called MIlgram shipping - after the guy who did the famous connectivity experiment, who then got pilloried for electro-shockling people.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Mr. Unpopular wrote:

Very Happy

Alden - use the Samba and find people moving/travelling cross country and get it moved in stages. Use the Samba Force for Good.

This is also called MIlgram shipping - after the guy who did the famous connectivity experiment, who then got pilloried for electro-shockling people.

Totally agree with Mr. Unpopular.....I mean ...as cheap as gas is right now...I could just skip a zoom meeting, throw your crap in the back of my Golf and boogie cross country...drop it off and swap in a bale a of weed and a couple of "undocumented" bodies to pay the return home cost! Laughing

Ray
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Mr. Unpopular wrote:

Very Happy

Totally agree with Mr. Unpopular.....I mean ...as cheap as gas is right now...I could just skip a zoom meeting, throw your crap in the back of my Golf and boogie cross country...drop it off and swap in a bale a of weed and a couple of "undocumented" bodies to pay the return home cost! Laughing

Ray

Yea man, like do it!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular sure likes his sarcasm lol.

I didn't think about using the samba like that. I want to spend like 600 bucks in sheet metal over in cali but just can't bring myself to pay 800 bucks to have it all shipped.

I'll have to try the samba hitchhiking or milgram idea.

And yeah um mr ray, ill watch while you try that lol.

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Doors and large parts Reply with quote

greyhound still works, sort of. they will take up to 100 lbs and max length 108". However the routes are way reduced , many more terminals will not handle freight, wait times of up to 6 months are considered acceptable, customer service has died ( there is no way to actual speak to corporate) and most terminals no longer answer the phone, insurance on car parts limited to $100. there is a way to attach an apple device tracker that lets you follow its progress.

I have used CL rideshare to move cars and parts with great success although CL is dying at the hands of FB marketplace ( which I would never trust ).

The time has come for an uber type app that connects packages with drivers. Not for little stuff, rather anything over 48" in length and 25lbs ( that is when the pain really starts with usps,ups,and fed/ex). It may not be super fast but each driver could become a mini-hub that collects and moves items in real time to other participating drivers. Something like 90% of car traffic is single passenger deadheading and most cars have some hauling ability. The Big 3 would be forced to compete the same way taxis had to when uber came around online. Surely a super sambanista who knows how to pitch start-ups and write code will step up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: