Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need carb/dist help
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Need carb/dist help Reply with quote

Have been plagued with hesitation with my stock engine. Have new aftermarket (carquest)vaccum advance dist. Bought new stock 34PICT3 Pierburg/Kafer carb. New extractor with "mondo" muffler. New carb will not take up under quick acceleration even with 135 main jet. Car now has "miss" when driving yet seems to have more power and revs more quickly once underway..
Hesitation and skip worse since I put on the extrator and "mondo" muffler. Today I reset the valves, new points and have new NGK plugs (B6HS) to install. The dist has advance and retard ....(stock) The hose from the "front" of the dist. can goes to the tit on the rear facing maifold throat. The other hose (with metal insert) goes from the tit on the dist can that is in the tapered and rear facing area of the can to the left side of the carb. Is that right? When I suck on the metal tubing, nothing happens in the dist. I simply hear air passing through something, but the dist plate doesn't move. When I suck on the hose connected to the rear throat nipple( and from the 'front" of the dist can), the dist plate moves clockwise. Do I have something wrong? Should I dump the 'mondo' muffler and go with a single QP> I wonder if this muffler is too unrestrictive for a stock engine. Is the 135 main jet too big? Crying or Very sad Come on...I need some help.Help...help Crying or Very sad
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill,

if you suck on either hose the points plate should move one direction or the other, it sounds like you have malfunctioning vacuum advance.

from your description you have the canister hoses in ther right places. advance is the nipple that is on the outer part of the canister pointing away from it, on a stock thing DVDA distributor it points downward and it attaches to the left lower side of the carb through the metal line with the two short rubber/cloth lines. the retard nipple is on the inside close to the distributor body and it attaches to the rear carb nipple, and is usually attached with a green cloth hose.

if you can get another distributor for testing, one that has working advance, that will help. any VW distributor with advance will work for now. retard can be eliminated completely if you like, it is not helping you at all, as an experiment remove and plug the retard hose, re-time and see where you are at in performance. you are using a timing light i assume and if you also have a degree pulley - time the engine to have 34 degrees or so of total advance at 3400 rpm. then let it idle and recheck timing against idle specs. you want a compromise between "all in" advance (how far does the timing advance before it will advance no more) and idle, and you should always check total advance as well as idle timing. you are looking to maintain healthy advance at idle - between 5-10 degrees, and stay around 34 degrees advance. at cruising speed. this is somewhat oversimpilfied and the number are "safe", but should get you on the way.

you may be right about the mondo muffler. but i suggest a slow approach, don't change too many parts at once or you will not be able to track the progression of tuning.

first get all the components functioning to spec, so now that means get vacuum advance working. make subtle changes to timing and see if you are getting better performance. you will find a sweet spot. keep track of this, then make any other changes, like going back to the smaller muffler. you may need to almost "start over" at this point, but you will know where the sweet spot was, start there and find the new sweet spot...
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott: good advice. I am beginning to think that my vaccum can is not working. Will continue to trouble shoot. Will get back to you with additionbal info as I discover it. Bill
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott: BTW: if I go to buy a new distributor should I go with a single advance and just plug off the retard...or should I go back with a double...or can I buy just the can and use my current Dist.? Where might I find these things? Bill
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK: vacuum can shot...leaks like a screen door. Found single advance can at cip1 for $29. Checking with Mike Basso first. Will leave everything else as is until I get vac advance working proper. Bill
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vacuum advance cans are available. the thing specific one you need is even still available, but the price will hurt. it is # 07 114. a 74 beetle one is 043 905 271A or 07 059. that is probably what CIP is selling. their price is good.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
the vacuum advance cans are available. the thing specific one you need is even still available, but the price will hurt. it is # 07 114. a 74 beetle one is 043 905 271A or 07 059. that is probably what CIP is selling. their price is good.

Scott: Just curious. Who carries the thing specific vaccum advance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one http://www.germansupply.com/. Hey Scott how much used stuff do you have around?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
Scott: Just curious. Who carries the thing specific vaccum advance?

we do Smile

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16627

not that i think anyone will actually buy it, at the price it costs. Wink
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckly wrote:
Hey Scott how much used stuff do you have around?

we have a small building full of used parts. a very mixed bag of incredible finds and absolute wastes of storage space. mostly parts from the 60s-80's, VW & Audi, some porsche.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott: Given that the retard side of the vac can is not a requirement for operation and most people plug it.....I can't see spending the $$$$for a "thing" specific" vac can when a single vac can can be had for $30. Except for the occasional "purist." Am I missing something here? Confused
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioman wrote:
Am I missing something here? Confused

no, i would agree with you.
califblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a complete 74' THING intake manifoild w/ carb and oil bath air cleaner and Distributor. I took these off my THING the day I bought back in 1989 w/ 25k on the clock. They have been boxed up since, if your interested email me at [email protected]
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved! Tuning problem not associated with new exhaust...just a coincidence. Trouble was failed advance side of dist. can. Replaced can withone from cip1 and retuned carby. Car runs great now and no hesitation for the first time in many months. The disty with can was replaced about a year ago (remanufactured item) and I wrongly assumed since it was new, it was working properly. While trying to over no vaccum advance I got the carby and timing so messed up, the car would hardly run. Super right now. Bill Very Happy
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radioman. Glad you got your problem solved. I have a similar problem with mine that I hope the vacuum advance and new carb I have purchased will cure. A Jacobs coil setup has been installed in mine as well as a Petronix pointless ignition. I have had problems with the Jacobs in other vehicles so I will look at that as well. I have the interior out now and am working on the floor pan. Trying to do all this between rainstorms we are having here in the west, as my car is outside.
I am seeing a lot of reference to California models and non-California models of carbs and distributers and advance modules. Can anyone tell me what the difference is and how to tell them apart?
Thanx
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: