Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing with Subaru Engine
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Thing with Subaru Engine Reply with quote

I am in the market for a Thing and have found a 73 with a subaru engine (locally).....price seems right, however I prefer one with a VW engine....anyone out there had any experience with this setup, I have not seen or driven the vehicle personally, just looking at pics now....I am more of a stock person...is it possible to put a VW engine back in after a conversion like this has been done? Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, myself would steer clear of a thing with suby engine. Of course a look would help, but how was it fit in? was the body cut for the conversion? is it the stock tranns with adapter, or a whole new set up? Where did they put the radiator and how did they plumb the hoses? was the body modified for the cool system?
I'm into my thing for its og condition and stock simplicity. I don't mind high proformance mods to the og set up, but a whole different engine sounds like a can of worms.
Good luck.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked this one out?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=139784
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do happen to go look at the Thing with Subie, Id be interested in what you see(pics would be great). Im planning a late model Subie engine in my Thing. Is this an older Subie engine(EA series, or EJ series), or a newer gen engine? If its newer, and you want to buy the car and convert it back to VW, Id be interested in buying whatever Subie conversion parts, radiator, engine, etc. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Holmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have no experience with watercooled engines in a thing------- but personally I would jump at the opportunity to get one with a Subaru in it. It should be a rocketship on wheels. I like the concept of amazing performance in a standard looking car. I have 120 bhp in the back of mine and could never go back to the original setup...

Lars
59 Type1
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see pictures of the conversion. One of our RoMTOC club members who lives in Michigan has a buggy with a 3100 Chevy motor and uses a pair of Rabbit radiators for cooling. He is currently puttinga 3100 into his Thing and has a nice set up going. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want one with a VW engine, buy one with a VW engine. i have no problem with hybrids... as long as i build it myself. adopting someone's half-built project usually means that you have to spend a ton of time and money re-engineering the work that has already been done. generally speaking, if someone is getting rid of it, they're getting rid of it for a reason.

I learned this the hard way. a lazer 917 kit with a 500 ci. caddy el dorado drivetrain stuffed into the back end sounded like a good idea, but....
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the advice, I will go look at it this week and take lots of pics!!
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other "thing" to remember,.. it still might be worth it to get and put it back to normal again,knowing myself how hard it is to find things in the south let alone one with a good body. Think

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a way to make the thing go faster is a worthy goal. Things should have had 100 hp engines to start with. I would also like to see pics of the conversion. I'd sure miss the sound to the Type 1 on steroids, though. Laughing
asagodowns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of pics in gallery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: