Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pretty Nice Westy on eBay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I bid a fair price even though I couldn't drive it home on those 165s.

Do not run 165s on a Bus, people.

I second that... when I bought my westy it had 165s on it. What a nightmare. That was one of the first things to go.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've see different colors of bowls.....but I don't remember the cabinet being notced to accomodate this item.
Mauser should also be on the bottom as well;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn keyboarding skillz- "mauser stratoplast" is what i was trying to write
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipseat wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I second that... when I bought my westy it had 165s on it. What a nightmare. That was one of the first things to go.

I ran 165's on my '61 deluxe.....they were cheap and I didn't know any better. I don't remember having any major complaints about them aside from they looked ugly. I don't think I've bought anything but 6.40X15" tires since then.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the intial pictures Ybcool posted, you could just see the corner of the bowl inside the cabinet and I must confess I presumed it was OG and haven't studied it much since. It appears to be the right shape - but I agree - the notches in the cabinet are strange... (good eye!)

I thought I had more jpegs of bowls than I'm finding - and they're all this light green color (which I'd never noted before...) They must be on my other computer...

It would be nice if this wasn't a real bowl, so I could obsess about something else.... <g>

One of the sites used to have a bowl on it if you dug far enough - it's not on Thom's site so it must have been on EB's site back in the day. It was on the site that had multiple shots of the same bus - broken up by about 10 different buses (w/ thumbnails) per page. It had to have been the Samba...back when EB's dog greeted ya at the door! Smile That bowl still had the sticker on it as well which is why it seemed so cool (and memorable).

I wonder if this was a fairly common bowl in Germany back in the day? Seems like the SO-33, SO-34 & SO-35 all got them as well. (There's probably a lot of Mauzer basins sitting in Salvation Army's out on the west coast cuz they ain't sitting in their buses anymore....)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:
In the intial pictures Ybcool posted, you could just see the corner of the bowl inside the cabinet and I must confess I presumed it was OG and haven't studied it much since. It appears to be the right shape - but I agree - the notches in the cabinet are strange... (good eye!)

I thought I had more jpegs of bowls than I'm finding - and they're all this light green color (which I'd never noted before...) They must be on my other computer...

It would be nice if this wasn't a real bowl, so I could obsess about something else.... <g>

One of the sites used to have a bowl on it if you dug far enough - it's not on Thom's site so it must have been on EB's site back in the day. It was on the site that had multiple shots of the same bus - broken up by about 10 different buses (w/ thumbnails) per page. It had to have been the Samba...back when EB's dog greeted ya at the door! :-) That bowl still had the sticker on it as well which is why it seemed so cool (and memorable).

I wonder if this was a fairly common bowl in Germany back in the day? Seems like the SO-33, SO-34 & SO-35 all got them as well. (There's probably a lot of Mauzer basins sitting in Salvation Army's out on the west coast cuz they ain't sitting in their buses anymore....)

Here's a photo of me holding a white one;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everett had some photos of Todd's washbasin (light green) which I downloaded and am currently using in my wanted ad (with Todd's permission).
I haven't seen enough of them to know which color is more common.
Is this the site you remember?
http://web.archive.org/web/20001120195000/thesamba.com/vw/type2/photos/photosaccessories5.htm
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Flipseat wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I ran 165's on my '61 deluxe.....they were cheap and I didn't know any better. I don't remember having any major complaints about them aside from they looked ugly. I don't think I've bought anything but 6.40X15" tires since then.

My westy was all over the road with them on. I replaced them before I drove to Topeka, KS, parked the bus for a couple weeks, and then out to the Classic in 02 with Dan in the Binz. The wind threw me every which way with 165s and there was no way I was driving through the plains facing the wind with crap tires. I put on Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires in 205/75/15, installed a fat sway bar and camber compensator too. That took care of the severe wind problems.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of todd's bus that was one of the nicest most complete mostly original busses i have come across- does he still have it anyone knw or what became of it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last, I talked with him he still had it. I don't think he'll ever let that thing go. I have only heard about it and have never seen it.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: That `61 in Euclid Reply with quote

Hey, Todd S here...I have seen this bus maybe 3 times up close and personal. If you folks want details on it I can do so. Would say I have one of the better trained eyes when it comes to 23s.

The down low...the bus is sweet....but rusty as a mother! When I saw this thing from across the field at one of the last GASS shows (years ago)...i was DAMN another one like mine that SUCKS...then I walked up on her and saw the bottom third of the bus missing...needless to say I grinned very widely and was happy again.

I recall he paid around $5000 for it maybe 5 years ago...I know who gave him the tip on it and the story is correct. The guy is (obviously) not a VW dude, found him rude and a-holish in person, like his posts on here. Definitely not a VW guy. He acted as he had found the Holy Grail back then and still get that vibe)

Again you want my better details opinions email-call me.

BTW Yes I still have my `60 so-23 bus (thus the bastardbus name) It saw daylight last summer when I moved LOL. No not for sale sorry.
Would love to find a cool pre `59 westy again some day...maybe...ahh i dunno...LOL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: btw Reply with quote

Anyone have link to or pics of the -23 from playboy? I lost the damn pics from a comp crash and would love to have those....ummm err for my archives...yeah that is it! HAHAHAHA

so someome has THAT very bus huh?
cooooooool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abuspilot wrote:
Last, I talked with him he still had it. I don't think he'll ever let that thing go. I have only heard about it and have never seen it.

I actually saw Todd driving it!

Some where there are pictures of several of us doing tequila shots from the tumblers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, I have those photos archived and can forward them to you if you want.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: actually... Reply with quote

spoke with the owner of the playboy bus...i was mistaken I was refering to the picture shoot from 60-70s from that nudist magazine....I think Dan ?? from east coast had them on an s0-23 web site about a year ago...or he sent em too me or something....I lost em due to comp crash...they were killer! Anyone have those...

beep!
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey todd... i'm still here. just lurking. i have the pics you are talking about. PM me your email addy and i'll shoot them over to you.

and for the record, i still can't remember if the horrible smelling white bowl that didnt quite fit in my last so-23's cabinet said mauser on the bottom or not. i still wake up in the middle of the night and punch a wall over that.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, glad to hear all is well with you. I sent you a PM.

I think that Jim (Phillips?) fellow up in CT area has the worst "SHIT, I threw it out.. "story...tossing out his original spring bed 55-56's original interior thinking it was homemade!

I think I was the first person that told him that interior WAS the correct one at an Old Litchfield (when it was still at the INN) show. Not many if any Westy folks around at those times...and after talking westys with him .... I actually showed him pics of what it should be...and man he about died right in front of me....said he had it all and tossed it in the garbage! UGHHHHhh think he runs that `58 interior now. Helluva nice guy he is...too bad.

I do not through things out...I just sell em and wish I had it all back years later! HAHAHAHA....man if you knew how many hatch tops i had or parted because they were crappy years ago...eeeek! Or the origi so-44 dormo top with no rust I had probs selling for $2000 but finally did !!! EEEKK....those days are gone...
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey if any of you are up for posting the nudie so23 pics they would be funny to see
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, dan mc nabb, michael heron...me todd s...and who is that from detroit that drank from my shot glasses ? Keith Price...Terrible Ted perhaps...that was that killer mexican tequila!....talk about some old school westy guys...remember the good old days when no one liked these old campers...back when $400 for a mint complete stripe westy tent was top dollar ...and you could actually find stuff around your own town....and those ratty hand typed photo copied Camp Box News letters HAHAHA ....wow that was like 10 years ago
ahh the good ole days...shit I feel old
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to update this I only threw out the spring bed frame not any wood or cabinets cabs ect, that was all missing. My Westfalia was stripped of cabinets when found just the bed Frame and two mustang seats in side.
bastardbus wrote:
Hi Dan, glad to hear all is well with you. I sent you a PM.

I think that Jim (Phillips?) fellow up in CT area has the worst "SHIT, I threw it out.. "story...tossing out his original spring bed 55-56's original interior thinking it was homemade!

I think I was the first person that told him that interior WAS the correct one at an Old Litchfield (when it was still at the INN) show. Not many if any Westy folks around at those times...and after talking westys with him .... I actually showed him pics of what it should be...and man he about died right in front of me....said he had it all and tossed it in the garbage! UGHHHHhh think he runs that `58 interior now. Helluva nice guy he is...too bad.

I do not through things out...I just sell em and wish I had it all back years later! HAHAHAHA....man if you knew how many hatch tops i had or parted because they were crappy years ago...eeeek! Or the origi so-44 dormo top with no rust I had probs selling for $2000 but finally did !!! EEEKK....those days are gone...
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pretty Nice Westy on eBay Reply with quote

Hi Limba-Jimba
Thanks for the timely update.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: