Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

exhaust
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

where can i find a header or stock exhaust for my 73 thing?
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Thing Shop. Things Unlimited may have a used one or be abe to tell you how to modify a Type 1 header/muffler so the tail pipes exit through the bumper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kymco has a thing header with the collector up real high. They also carry a tuck away muffler that works well with it. Their ceramic coating is worth getting if you go that route. The thing shop has reproduction original mufflers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Berg has thing headers/collectors. I think they have both 1 1/2" and 1 5/8". About the same price as a Kymco header. I have Kymco and am happy with it after a 10k miles or so.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
Kymco has a thing header with the collector up real high.

tim,

where can i get one of those collectors? do you have contact info for kymco? i am working on a speedster replica for a cusomer and the high-up collector would be really good to have. we have a collector/stinger now, but it is way low. that one looks much higher.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found these numbers on a different thread. I called the toll free line and it is a good number (2-16-05).
Kymco;Phone: Bus-(949) 642-1835 Fax(949) 642-1847 Toll Free (888) 321- 3560
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Motor Works (www.thingsforthething.com) sells the original dual muffler exhaust system for the 73 Thing. It's pricey, at $345, but worth it if you're going stock. I went with this stock system in my 73, and I love it - more clearance than anything else on the market, cooler running, pipes through the bumper, totally invisible, and no problems with adjusting valves whatsoever.

As an anectdote, and a testimony to exactly how solid this system is, a few months ago, I got rearended by a bus that rolled down a hill and smashed into my rear bumper. It hit exactly where the driver's side pipe exits through the bumper, and bent the hell out of the bumper (both upwards and inwards. I was shocked to see that the exhaust pipe (which also took the brunt of the impact) was not the least bit damaged. In fact, the pipe was stronger than the bumper and actually ended up doing the most damage to the bus' bumper! I thought for sure the impact would have loosened that side of my system, but it was 100% solid - no leaks - nothing.

Another major advantage with going with this system is that it allows you to better see what's going on with your engine. Since it's a dual muffler, divided header system, the left side is completely independent of the right. If you see smoke, for example, coming out of your left pipe, you've just narrowed down the problem to two cylinders, instead of four. I also like to put my hands a few inches from the pipes when she's running, to get a better sense of how the engine's performing - not possible with a single-muffler/collector system.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a stock style muffler and pipes from Mike at http://www.thingsunlimited.net/. It was new, made in denmark and very high quality. I don't know if he has them in stock all the time, but its woth checking and saving a few bucks.
califblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kymco THING header with their ceramic coating started to rust in less than 5k... Crying or Very sad
And I live in SO.Calif!

The Owner told me it's not there problem Evil or Very Mad

I will never deal with them again my .02
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. I have had mine on there about 3 years. Don't know exactly how many miles, but I have done 3 oil changes so it would be around 6,000 or so miles. Other than the red mud that has stained it I have had no problems.
Have run a Kymco ceramic extractor on my 69 westfalia for about 7 or 8 years and close to 80,000 miles with no rust issues except on the scratches in the coating on the bottom of the muffler which came from taking it out places it doesn't belong. (my fault) I have always been into four wheeling and forget that the bus isn't a 4x4. Confused
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to ride Cip1's nuts here, but they just started carrying '74 stock-style setup. They look just like the ones GMW has, only cheaper. I was pretty happy to see that- it's nice to see more Thing parts hitting the mainstream channels. Us '74 owners have had to deal with some pretty ghetto muffler setups until recently. When my original rotted out in 1983, the VW dealership we bought it from replaced it with a Bug muffler! Aside from the Cip1/GMW setup, some guy in Mexico has an ad in the Samba Classifieds showing an OG NOS 74 setup that looks pretty sweet. I'm not sure what the cost would be, but if money were no object, I'd try to scoop one of those up. For me, money is definately an object, and I'm saving up for the Cip1 muffler & pipes (& money to have them coated locally).
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion has been going on on more than one Thing forum. The SS header should also be considered. Mike sells those also. According to anumber of folks who run them they are equal quality and configureation to Kymco. Plus you get to deal with Mike. K_MANN
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that the ones by S&S and the one by Thing Shop that is similar to the S&S, are in such a position that it is difficult at best to adjust the valves. I too am looking for a new system for my 73 as the one I have looks like a muffler shop special and is about to rust out.
I like the stock type, but the price is holding me back at the moment.
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they have a dual after market set up or just dual stock?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: