Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making a bay window 2/3 middle seat in to split 2/3 middle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Making a bay window 2/3 middle seat in to split 2/3 middle Reply with quote

I have heard of this being done. Cutting of the diagonal brace & changing the armrest somehow. Has anyone done this with any success? If so how bad/ good does it look

-r
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only bay seat that you can easily convert to a splittie seat is a '68 only 2/3 seat to '67 only 2/3 seat. the differences in the seat frame is that the top of the backrest is folded sheet metal on the '68 seat, and it is tubing on a '67 seat. the springs for the backrest have a thinner profile on the '68 seat, but that can easily be made up for at the upholstery shop. also, you have to come up with a grab handle for the backrest.

trying to convert any other bay window seat into a splittie seat would be a nightmare. it would probably be easier to start with tubing stock and a bender.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a while ago I posted an answer about welding a single "D" shaped piece of tube ("C" shaped until it is welded in place) to the passanger side leg, flat along the floor. lets any bay seat match up with the stock split mounts.
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
a while ago I posted an answer about welding a single "D" shaped piece of tube ("C" shaped until it is welded in place) to the passanger side leg, flat along the floor. lets any bay seat match up with the stock split mounts.

[email protected] wrote:
I have been unable to find a middle 2/3 seat for my '65 so I'm working with something around a '68. Instead of messing with the floor of the bus, It seems easy enough to modify the seat.
The difference is with the passangers side leg. On the earlier model the leg came straight down on the outside of the seat. On the later models the leg is set in under the edge by about 4 inches. I'm taking a piece of tube the same size af the legs, bending it U shaped and welding it to the leg. This piece will now lay flat on the mat and fits into the original mounts.
If I ever find an original, I haven't messed up the floor or cut extra holes in the mat

There's probably a market for that, with notched tubing ready to weld on. I need one. Wink
adam r3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really old thread, but i am wanting to do the same thing. Does anybody have experience with this kind of thing?
I have a 66 bus with holes in the floor for a 2/3 seat. I bought a bay 2/3 seat, and am going to modify it by moving the right side leg over to fit.

I also am wondering about the grab bars. has anybody successfully added grab bars to a middle seat?

And I found the kick panel for the original middle seat back under my back seat. The clips are rusted off, but I already started to restore it. does this still clip on to the bay middle seat? the bars are a little different.

Here is a picture of what I've got.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a lot going for you. Your old one should mate up pretty well after you move the leg. Are you going to have the armrest pipe continue down?
adam r3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure If I'm going to change the arm rest. I'm trying to find some good pictures of the correct arm rest. I think this is what it should look like.

and this is mine

I think it would need to be moved forward a little in the front, and bent. And would have to be connected in the back too. I have an extra bay seat frame with no springs so I might be able to use the arm rest from the other one to connect the back?

Also the arm rest pad is different.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in my old mango was once a bay window seat. Cut and weld... Move the leg flush with the end etc.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy selling armrest tubing sections ready to weld on.

He was selling the grab bars as well.

As far as I know the armrest is not being repo'd yet; hopefully someone with the ability will make some; there is a market for them.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
adam r3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I think I am going to move the arm rest and have it loop around. does anybody know what the arm rest pad should look like for a 66? I couldn't find that in the middle seat thread. it looks different than the pictures I've seen for the pre 67 short middle seats.

Stocknazi do you have a link to the guy that was selling the armrest tubing sections?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the photo shown above and the arm rest photos in the Bus middle seat thread, apart from the color.
This:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M183kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam r3 wrote:
Ok, so I think I am going to move the arm rest and have it loop around. does anybody know what the arm rest pad should look like for a 66? I couldn't find that in the middle seat thread. it looks different than the pictures I've seen for the pre 67 short middle seats.

Stocknazi do you have a link to the guy that was selling the armrest tubing sections?

Here's the guy, I'll be doing my bay seat well...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1118582
adam r3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M183kombi, those are for the early seats. I need the 64 - 66 style grab handles I think. does the way it is mounted change for the later style? I haven't been able to see any pictures of the seat without a cover. what would I have to weld in? just a tube at each corner? what about in the middle? are they just screwed into the bar?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam r3 wrote:
M183kombi, those are for the early seats. I need the 64 - 66 style grab handles I think. does the way it is mounted change for the later style? I haven't been able to see any pictures of the seat without a cover. what would I have to weld in? just a tube at each corner? what about in the middle? are they just screwed into the bar?

I am not sure if Bay Window seats have tubes but if not - then yes, you need a tube at each end to plug the 64-66 style top grab handle into. They have little screws like the door panel screws that hold the grab handle ends in place into the tube.

The center part of the the grab handle, the little plastic cover, is screwed straight into the top of the seat frame. The center part has 2 holes for 2 screws. Once you find a grab handle you will see them.
Quickest photo I could find:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the repro 64-67 grab bar ad, currently inactive:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1453943

My 67 2/3 middle seat is currently stripped down to the frame - I can get some pics of the mounting points tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Making a bay window 2/3 middle seat in to split 2/3 middle Reply with quote

Digging up 3yo thread here. Hope you dont mind! Cool

After trying to a few years to find a '67 short middle seat that was within reason and without the sellers flaking, I picked up a 68 for the right price (+easy transaction) and I'm thinking of doing this conversion.

Does anyone have pics of this process? I haven't stripped off the upholstery yet but I'm assuming all that needs done is the top 5 or so inches replaced with tubing for the grab bar. Other than the padding that Clara mentioned, are there any other modifications I should be aware of?

Is anyone selling repop grab bars? Called Koch's and they said they no longer sell them.

Z - Long shot here buuuuuut did you ever get pics of the seat stripped down? Razz
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a bay window 2/3 middle seat in to split 2/3 middle Reply with quote

Wow, I suck for never posting those pics. Yes, I have some. Will dig them out and post them up ASAP.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a bay window 2/3 middle seat in to split 2/3 middle Reply with quote

Here are some I posted in another thread. Lemme know if you need dimensions, etc.

azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a bay window 2/3 middle seat in to split 2/3 middle Reply with quote

Holy smokes! The long shot came through! Thanks Z!

Now if only they were in HD Wink j/k

That seat back frame looks pretty straight forward to replicate too.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a bay window 2/3 middle seat in to split 2/3 middle Reply with quote

Yeah, the crap lighting down there doesn’t allow the best pics. If you need better I can probably get it.

It’s s a VERY simple seat frame, and the factory welds are...less than pretty.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: