Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus roof racks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

I just searched a ton of archive stuff and can't find anything with that rack. I had one years ago that I bought off a bay window
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
I just searched a ton of archive stuff and can't find anything with that rack. I had one years ago that I bought off a bay window

The one I just bought came off a baywindow, too. But it does fit the split better.

I did some searching, too. Came up empty handed. Oh well.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Google "v.a.g. roof rack" and it comes up with all the reference photos needed- referenced of course from this site. I always assumed V-AG was Germany (Allemagne), VWoA was America, simply put. Now for my language interpretation corrections... Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

I got the rack from the man in the picture and he had a few other bus items I figured were ok to show.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:

I love how the stylized shape of these toys matches the stylized drawings on the boxes. But neither have roof racks. Wink
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Google "v.a.g. roof rack" and it comes up with all the reference photos needed- referenced of course from this site. I always assumed V-AG was Germany (Allemagne), VWoA was America, simply put. Now for my language interpretation corrections... Cool

The only thing I can find on the site is the recollections of 1 seller that he bought it at a dealer in 1966 no period photos no sales info. Maybe the part number could be found in a dated parts manual. Interesting I can find bkw and hwe info readily but nothing on a vw part
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I love how the stylized shape of these toys matches the stylized drawings on the boxes. But neither have roof racks. Wink

The newlyweds already have two little girls. What is the panel logo selling?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

The newlyweds already have two little girls. What is the panel logo selling?

Looks like sardine cans. There's a story in there somewhere.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:

But how many roof racks do you see in this picture? Laughing

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
But how many roof racks do you see in this picture?

Arg, I get it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Here's a couple more...

CHASINGJR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

This is my second DIY weld kit by Chad. Chad has a great product and it has worked out great for me. Thanks Chad

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

That looks awesome. Cool
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Here is my recently acquired "VWAG" bus rack. It fits the split better than the bay, but who knows what it was originally designed to fit.

Mine is bent to hell, but I still like it. I only have one original clamp. If anyone has some laying around, I would love to have at least three more.

Roof clearance...

Here's the rack I just picked up. It's the 3/4 version. Mine is a bit hammered too. All I got for clamps are some gross chrome ones. I will probably strip it down and paint it silver.

It clears the giant tent mounts nicely

Does anyone know what direction this rack should go? Looks like the full length versions are same front to back regarding the legs.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Can say for sure which is the front or back, my VofA rack has a tag on it that says Rear. For yours I would try to move it back just a bit so the legs are not over a door opening, 6 inches or so back and the legs would be over a solid panel. Hope that makes sense, or it make not even matter IDK its early and I have had too much coffee.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Can say for sure which is the front or back, my VofA rack has a tag on it that says Rear. For yours I would try to move it back just a bit so the legs are not over a door opening, 6 inches or so back and the legs would be over a solid panel. Hope that makes sense, or it make not even matter IDK its early and I have had too much coffee.

I don't function well until I've had a few cups o' coffee and a smoke.. I see what you're saying though it makes sense. Although the one pictured below is pushed all the way to the back, it appears to be the same as mine with the two closer-together legs at the rear.

fotoroadie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

What color to paint VW roof rack ?

Silver or Gray ? What shade ? Shiny or dull ?

whadayathink?

mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:

Brandon I agree with Big Bill. If you slide it back a bit, the legs will be supported by the pillars and the rear of the bus.

By the way thank you for your generous donation to my 3day Cancer walk. I don't have your number anymore, pm me when you get a chance.
Phil 4:13
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

fotoroadie wrote:
What color to paint VW roof rack ?

Silver or Gray ? What shade ? Shiny or dull ?

whadayathink?

They look best in dull grey galvanized, just like original.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

I am refurbishing my HWE rack and want to show the details. My rack had all 6 legs cut off so I have ordered the clamps, the bows, the feet and the weld on brackets from a rack builder member here. I also ordered a stick of 20mm metric tubing to make the legs. The rack had hard plastic plugs with bolts stuck in them where the legs should be. I had to drill around the center bolt until it would come out then use a paddle bit to hog the plastic out until it was a thin shell.

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 60

Jump to: