Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus roof racks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

volkswouter wrote:
Got the roof rack home and dropped it of at the powdercoaters place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone a suggestions for what color code Below used as grey or a similar code for modern grey?

I don't know if this will help much- but I faced this at the powder coater with a beetle rack. I simply had to look at their swatches and choose something that had that 'cold steel' look. My local (great) shop had tons of metallic (too shiny or flaky) and lots of gray tones (all were too solid). But they had a custom mix they literally call "camaro silver" that they use on some wheels. It has very little metallic content and comes off looking very much like steel rather than shiny. I'm extremely pleased with the result. Sorry for the distant pic- but zoom in on the beetle rack if it helps.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
kruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
kruno wrote:
@ mdege: Do you have a picture of the carriers, I couldn't find them? Sad

BTW kruno, I really like your series of pics!

Link

rescuing a package trailer from an orchard Wink
'05 renault modus Smile a little gallic gay car
toXic rust
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Anybody know what the first line of this sticker reads, regarding the roof load (in German)? In this pic I believe we see the second line, which correlates to the vehicle payload, but not the first. I'm a Bay guy but my non-internet buddy has this rack but the placard is partially obliterated. The line is missing two words, I think, followed by "Beladung" (cargo, I believe).

Thanks
robot909 wrote:

VWAG / VAG racks:

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Since the 2nd line says the same thing as the English text but in German, is the first line the same thing?

Can you post a pic of the partially damaged line?
I think that would help people figure it out, even if it's damaged
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Since the 2nd line says the same thing as the English text but in German, is the first line the same thing?

Can you post a pic of the partially damaged line?
I think that would help people figure it out, even if it's damaged

Yes, I would think the first line would say the same thing as its English translation below. But interested to know how they worded the original German. All my friend can make out is two missing or illegible words, followed by "Beladung". My friend (and the rack) are an hour away. He has neither internet nor smart phone, but asked me because I know just a little German. Thing is, even if I were fluent (which I'm not), there would be any number of ways it could have been worded. Next time I'm up there I will indeed try to get a pic.
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Got the rack back from powdercoating last week and am happy with the result.

This is the RAL color i chose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

BruceJ wrote:
Anybody know what the first line of this sticker reads, regarding the roof load (in German)? In this pic I believe we see the second line, which correlates to the vehicle payload, but not the first. I'm a Bay guy but my non-internet buddy has this rack but the placard is partially obliterated. The line is missing two words, I think, followed by "Beladung" (cargo, I believe).

Thanks
robot909 wrote:

VWAG / VAG racks:

not quite sure what you are looking for? but the missing 2nd line in german probably said: Maximale Dachlast von 100KG oder 220lbs

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

robot909 wrote:

not quite sure what you are looking for? but the missing 2nd line in german probably said: Maximale Dachlast von 100KG oder 220lbs

Yes, that sounds about right. This was my friend's guess as well. He's reproducing a sticker and wanted to get it right.

Thanks!
59`Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

I recently got hold of this beautiful luggage rack. It was lying around here in Germany for decades with someone who, according to his statement, personally drove this ingenious part on the t1 bus he was driving at the time ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

It looks like a crown.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

How does it mount to the bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
59`Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
It looks like a crown.

Yes it looks very cool...
59`Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
How does it mount to the bus?

Usually through the roof.
but i take rubber feet and then make holders that hold the rack in position.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Snazzy. What are the half circles for?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Snazzy. What are the half circles for?

big fire hoses?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
59`Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Tell me ...
unfortunately I don't know either!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

59`Panel wrote:
Tell me ...
unfortunately I don't know either!

It would hold 60 feet of water supply or drain pipe in my opinion. I'm guessing made for municipal water company fleet or sewer work. Three pipes would be enough to be dispatched for across-street repairs?

I just checked all my transporter books and didn't see that specific rack.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

It's a fire truck rack. I know I have seen a more definitive photo in here somewhere, but this one was posted by Everett from a show in Florida in 2007 and claimed to be for a fire truck.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
It's a fire truck rack. I know I have seen a more definitive photo in here somewhere, but this one was posted by Everett from a show in Florida in 2007 and claimed to be for a fire truck.

Agreed - Someone will find a pic Im sure. Here is a hack job(bespoke Kustum) with a big pipe that would fit that rack.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

From back in 08 in this thread...

VolksFire wrote:
hbpoolguy wrote:
60DoubleTurd wrote:
EverettB wrote:
ezcamper wrote:
I picked up this rack over the weekend. It needs a little work, but it is really not bad. Anybody have some Bekowa clamps for sale?

I saw that at Bug Jam - good price I thought.

What was the price?

This thing is sweet. what are the indentations for, do you think? Pipe, what??

They look perfect for ocean kayaks.

The indentations are for fire hoses. These racks were used by the Fire Department on their busses.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 60

Jump to: