Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RIMCO
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: RIMCO Reply with quote

I had a set of cylinders, bored, honed and trued, by Rimco (Riddle Machine Co) last year, 103 opened up to 105, it was $80 to bore and hone, and $30 to true the tops.

I, picked up a set today, that I droped off last monday, 103 opened up to 105, it was $135 to bore and hone, and $40 to true them, WHAT A FN REAM JOB, $65 WORTH OF REAMING.

I asked smiley about the price, he says thats the price, it takes a couple of hrs to do that work, I said it wasn't the price on the last set I had done, smiley then said they raised the prices, I said yea you raised the prices at the beginning of last year, and the other set was done after the increase. I took the cylinders and left.

I, went back in three min later, I asked smiley, to speak to the other guy, the other guy came out, I asked him about the price, I told him what I paid for the last set, he comes of with, you said you were in a hury, and our boring machine was set up for something else, so we set up another machine to do your cylinders, so it cost more. I just shook my head and left.
At no time did I tell them I was in a hurry, I asked them what the turn around was, they said give a call wed, I called wed, they were finally done friday.

In less than 5 min I had 2 different bull**** stories, from 2 of there employees.

I, don't know if anybody else has had any problems with them, but ever since they raised there prices last year, and lost a few of there big accounts, us little guys are getting reamed (Reamed, :fist:, Rimco, Toilet Rim ) , easy way to learn things is by association

Rimco is not the only place that has good machinists, local for us California boys and girls.

2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel as i got the shaft from MoFoCo.

I do think you Cali peeps are spoiled with all the aircooled scene out there.

I am soon to have the ONLY low riding splitty bus in Tallahassee Florida.

peas
RonR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Motor Building Reply with quote

Try the Riffles iin Hesperia.
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got hosed by them too on some lifter bores they did. Check it out:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=76153

It took a lot to get my refund, but I did.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow n' Low wrote:

peas

What is your story?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 4 Unleashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow n' Low wrote:

peas

I, to am interested in what REAMCO did to you.

I, posted this, to help everyone from getting screwed as I did, or anyone else, so the more info the better.

Thanks Richard
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: machine work? Reply with quote

Now that is what I call a ream job. So sorry about your experience.

This is all the more reason some of us should try to find the little guys out there who can also do machine work.

The status quo names are not always the best either.

There are small timers out there just as heavily equipped with machines and just as abled.

Try them out. Maybe they can be of some help to a bunch of us.

regards, NSR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Slow n' Low wrote:

peas

What is your story?

well where do I start/

Was it the bad cam?

Bad head?

That jerk Bruce?

I WILL NEVER BUY FROM YOUR COMPANY AGAIN!

I paid 1600$ for a motor with 041 heads. The cam had a blemish on it that caused it to eat the flange on the cam bearing. The motor had to be torn down. It was 8 months old and less than 10 months. I had to replace the cam, cam bearing. This doesn't include time lost due to work This was all at my cost. Bruce treated me like a criminal on the phone by not believing my problem nor his willingness to accomodate me. I had proof from a local garage of the problem (they were the ones that tore down the motor for me). Then when the motor was being put back together the mechanic (luckily) noticed that one of the valves was soon to be dropping he fixed that for me too. (more money out the window)

One good thing about VW trends ending their publication run is the fact that companies like yours wont be advertised to people in magazine form. As far as I am concerned I will never reccomend you or your parts ever again. I paid good money for supposed good motor (I was assured it was all new with the exception of rods and push rods) If you were more accomodating when the motor did screw up I would have been less critical. But your customer service sucks and so does your manufacturing.

DEATH TO MoFoCo

www.mofocosux.com
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, who are you? When did this happen? What kind of engine was it? You say the cam had a Blemish on it that caused it to eat the bearing....what was the reason you had the engine tore down? Why didn't you send it back for us to tear down? Also what does the sentance "the valve was soon to be dropping" mean?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
First, who are you? When did this happen? What kind of engine was it? You say the cam had a Blemish on it that caused it to eat the bearing....what was the reason you had the engine tore down? Why didn't you send it back for us to tear down? Also what does the sentance "the valve was soon to be dropping" mean?

I am Dave and I live in Tallahassee Florida.
It happened in fall of 2001
yes the blemish on the cam ate through the flange on the cam bearing.
( I have a friend who has worked on VW's for 25+ years at Furrin Auto in Tallahassee, florida and he had never heard of any thing like that.)
I was going to send it back until "bruce" came in the picture.
the valve was soon to be dropping
The valve had a bad seat on it.
MoFoCo 041 Heads.

a 1600$ motor ended up costing me alot more that 1600$ the motor is still running in my car after valve seat repair and new cam and cam bearings.

Basically I got screwed end of story.
But I wont get screwed again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll give you a little background on me. I have been working here my whole life. I took over engine building almost two years ago. I don't understand what you are saying. Why did you have the engine torn down? What was the problem? Was the blemish on the cam raised higher than the rest of the journal, or was it a scratch that was lower than the rest of the journal? Also, how can the valve seat be bad? The reason that valve seats drop is overheating or being put in without enough crush. Crush is the difference between the OD of the seat and the OD of the hole for the seat. All I'm trying to do is figure out what happened.
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll give you a little background on me. I have been working here my whole life. I took over engine building almost two years ago. I don't understand what you are saying. Why did you have the engine torn down?

The engine was making a LOUD tapping noise.

What was the problem? The Flange on the Cam bearing was laying in the supm of the motor. Was the blemish on the cam raised higher than the rest of the journal, or was it a scratch that was lower than the rest of the journal?

It appeared to be higher.
It took 8 months to eat through the flange.

Also, how can the valve seat be bad? The reason that valve seats drop is overheating or being put in without enough crush. Crush is the difference between the OD of the seat and the OD of the hole for the seat. All I'm trying to do is figure out what happened

I couldn't tell you why, All I know is that the mechanic noticed that it was bad and had a new seat put in the NEW head
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sorry that this happened but blaming us is totally insane. We use reground or new cams in our engines. It can't be ground with a raised blemish on the cam journal. That just makes no sense. And it is also hard to make any assertion without seeing it. As for the valve seat, even God can't tell when the seat will fall out. It is either out or in, so that is a load of BS if someone told you they KNEW it was going to fall out. The only other way to know it needs to be replaced is if it beats so far into the head that it won't seal anymore(like type 4 seats). I do disagree with how you were dealt with, I would have gotten you the replacement parts(if that's what you wanted) for nothing. But I do agree that there is no way it was something done during assembly.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Well, I'm sorry that this happened but blaming us is totally insane.

No, it's not. He bought a motor, it started to act up, and when it was torn down, an obviously problem was found. Why wouldn't he blame your company. You may have been part of the company but, as you admitted, you only took over the engine building department a couple of years ago. This happened 4 years ago. You have no basis for commenting on the actions he took to resolve this problem or what caused it in the first place. You weren't there.

Furthermore, even though you haven't got a clue as to who this guy is or what the situation was, you conclude that it wasn't your companies fault.
Quote:
I do disagree with how you were dealt with, I would have gotten you the replacement parts(if that's what you wanted) for nothing. But I do agree that there is no way it was something done during assembly.

Even if he was dealing with you on this subject, by the sound of your last sentence, I doubt he would get any further than he did with Bruce.

The fact alone that he paid another mechanic to fix the problem has got to tell you that he wasn't getting anywhere by dealing with your shop. I'm sure you've noticed that us VW owners are cheap bastards. I don't have a clue who this guy is but I'd bet as soon as he heard the noise coming from his brand new $1600 motor he was on the phone with your company looking for answers. He either has a lot of money or he had to be very frustrated to resort to paying someone else for work that he's already paid for once.

Roy, I don't know you or Slow n Low. The only Mofoco products I've ever owned was a set of 041's that cracked after 5000kms. I'm not complaining about that. I swapped them out and moved on with my life. You'll never get an email or phone call complaining about them. Nor will you see me start a thread about them. This isn't about that. This rant of mine is about companies (not just yours) blaming the customer for everything and finding loop holes in warranties etc that get them out of standing behind their products and services.

A better way to handle this situation, Roy, would have been to send a PM to Slow n Low as the new head of engine buildling at Mofoco who is sorry to hear about his past experience but who is now looking for details of the problem in hope to improve the quality of service at your company. You may choose to call bullshit at your office but at least you won't appear defensive about an issue you know nothing about.

Good service is simply. Set a very reasonable expectation to a client and meet that expectation. If you meet it, you're a good company and you've gained a reference. If you surpass it, you look like heros.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225

Last edited by Envious on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks envious and well Put.

All you need to know about me i s drive vws like crazy. I wish peeps like roy would have worked at MoFoCo at least I could have got somewhere.

Anyway it is ancient history.

Next.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: