Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where to look for VW thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
torboon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: where to look for VW thing? Reply with quote

i am looking to buy a thing, probably have less than $3k.
any web site that has vw things classified ad besides thesamba and ebay?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: vw things classified ad Reply with quote

Hello

You can try this one:

http://type181registry.com/Classifieds/

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Thing for under $3K will needs lots of work to make it a daily driver. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the country are you in?
torboon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am in california, if you wanna sell one of your two things, please let me know.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things in California seem to bring higher prices than elsewhere. You may have to travel to get one for $3k that is worth having, and it may take quite a while to find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned your search on a Thing email thread with a link to this thread. Maybe it will help.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: May I ask, as a fellow California resident: Reply with quote

torboon wrote:
i am in california, if you wanna sell one of your two things, please let me know.

What are the ramifications of bringing an out-of-state Thing into California? I know the law has changed recently, but I cant remember how. Is it that any vehicle 25 years old or more is smog exempt and importable, or is any vehicle before a certain year? Or what?

Thanks in advance,

— Spalding
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not from cali, and never want to be. I have seen threads on the cali smog laws. Its seems there's not a problem with them yet. Since they were only imported for two years the newest thing out there is 1974, which it seems is older than the new laws require to have tested.
And thats a big "I THINK".

Things do seem to sell for more in cali. I bought both of mine at the same time. $1500 for both, and I did have to do alot of work to get one driving. I had to steal a couple parts of the other, but nothing major. I think I'll beable to get Them both running. The none runner just needs some body work on the front clip, and of course all the stuff a thing needs after its been sitting for 19 years.

Any way if your willing to travel and import from other states you may have an easier time hunting one down.
I would try the Thing Shop in AZ,
Mike Basso http://www.thingsunlimited.net/, he's in NY, but knows alot of thingers and may point you in the right direction.
There is a guy up here in WA, but all I have is his email, Don, [email protected].
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem with bringing out of state Things into Cali. I did it two years ago and the DMV didn’t even blink. Personally I would look up north for a good Thing. All the ones I have seen from up there don’t seem to have as much rust and are reasonably priced. (Oregon and Washington that is)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought my thing from a friend up here in washington and i got er for real cheap plus with a motor and it dosent really need a lot of work the biggest part is done and that was the floors when im done i ll prolly only have a bout 3 k in to it so i think thats a pretty good deal i got
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent Thing purchase was found on eBay and was located 30 miles from my mountain. After some look see and banter I drove Kubel Panzer home for $1700. I had to stop a number of times to do "on-the-road" repairs to get home. Currently I am reworking her as a "road car" I suggest that you keep your eyes peeled and stay in contact with all the "best" Thing lists. Two years ago I had a line on a very nice 73 Thing in Hemet for $1500 but time and geography made the deal go to someone else. The type 181 registry is a great place to find the Thing of your dreams at the price you can handle. Your online Thing pals are your passport to the right price Thing. I am dead broke rihgt now but if the roght thing at the right price came up in the right location, I would be on it like original top latches..... K-mann
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story:

Years ago, I went to look at two VW Things. One was a parts one a 73 and the other a driver, a 74. Were talking 4, 5 years tops.
The white one was in pretty good condition, just needed a good tune up for the engine, and the top had a few small tears. He wanted $1500 for the pair. I offered $1200 and he didn't take it. What a idiot I am.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove all the way to Tulsa (5 hours) pulling my trailer to buy a 73 thing that I saw on AutoTraderOnline. The car was not "as advertized" as it was much more worn and "rigged" than the pics showed, but I still had to have a Thing so I offered the guy $3,500, instead of his asking price of $4000. I had cash, $100 dollar bills in a fat roll that I showed the guy. He would'nt take a penny less than $4k. I drove home without a new toy, pissed, dissappointed, thinking that guy was an idiot, yada, yada. Looking back, with what I know about these cars and the market, I would offer this guy $2800 today for that car. So, be patient and cast your net over a wide area like the lower 48 and you'll find a car that fits your budget. Just don't pay a premium because the deal is "here and now". Its a mistake money wise to do that, IMHO.

Hey, if you stumble on a 50's-60's double cab in running condition I want to hear about it. I'm patiently looking around for a "deal".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: