Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kadron vs Weber
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Kadron vs Weber Reply with quote

I know these questions are asked alot, and I'm sorry if it's a repost, but I really didn't see anyone this question specifically.

I have a 1776 engine in my 66 bus. The engine is very much stock except for the larger pistons/cylinders. I want to add dual carbs for some extra power, and I was thinking about adding Kadrons since they are a **cheaper** option. But, after looking at all the "hidden" costs with Kadrons, I am thinking a pair of Weber 40's might be better.

Kadron kit from AJ -> $399
Scat Linkage -> $39
Tap for Vaccum dist -> $40
SVDA from AJ -> $139

Total cost for kadrons at $617 doesn't seem very cheap anymore when I can get a set of Weber 40's for $675, and I already have a 009 to run with the Webers.

So, $617 Kadrons vs $675 Webers, is the question. I'm thinking the Weber 40's would be better in the long run.

What do you all think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your in the 600 ballpark, why not also consider baby dellortos?....

also, alot of people run the 009 with kadrons, so that kadron price of yours is not quite accurate...you should add the SVDA dizzy cost and tap cost to the webbers if you want to consider apples to apples...

i bought aircooled net's svda and was very impressed (with a 34pict3carb)...i'd take the kadrons with the svda dizzy over the webbers/009....i think a quality dizzy is more important than quality carbs for driveability...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark- thanks for your replies. Here's some more thoughts...

marklaken wrote:
if your in the 600 ballpark, why not also consider baby dellortos?....

I don't know why, maybe I should think about them too.

marklaken wrote:
also, alot of people run the 009 with kadrons, so that kadron price of yours is not quite accurate...you should add the SVDA dizzy cost and tap cost to the webbers if you want to consider apples to apples...

I've not heard of people tapping the webers and running SVDA's. Are people running that combo? I have definately heard that the kadrons run like crap with mechanical advance distributors more so than the webers. On my bug, I have weber 40's and a 009, and it runs really good.

marklaken wrote:
i bought aircooled net's svda and was very impressed (with a 34pict3carb)...i'd take the kadrons with the svda dizzy over the webbers/009....i think a quality dizzy is more important than quality carbs for driveability...

How are you running a SVDA with a 34pic3 carb which has two vaccum ports? Isn't the 34pic3 supposed to work best with the stock two vaccum dist?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally what you have to do is just plug the vacuum retard port at the carb with the SVDA and all will be fine.

The webers also run better with a SVDA.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragman, I've run several Kad's with 009 and the stock linkage in the past few years and they run "fine". I've also run a set with the 009 and the Scat linkage and they run fine too. The Scat is a "better" linkage than the stock Kad, but if you have a NEW stock Kad linkage, it "can" work fine too. With a stock Kad linkage, one major factor to making it work/adjust right is the ball ends have to be new and not worn.

Have not made the jump to an SVDA yet.

The Weber 40IDFs that I have are already tapped for vacuum, if I recall. One of the small brass tubes near the base of the carb. If you don't use the vacuum port, it needs to be sealed off with a tight-fitting rubber cap.

What kind of linkage does the proposed Weber 40 IDF kit come with? Quite important for the overall running of the setup. Also make sure that you get the smaller venturies (28mm) for your stock-valve 1776 on the Webers. I think you'll get at least as good fuel mileage with the Webers compared to the Kads using the same type of distrib.

Baby Dell's (known formally as Dell'Orto 34 FRD) have not been made or several years. You'd have to find a good used set, and such a set would certainly not be worth $600; more like in the $200's. Dell'Orto's also made dual-throat carbs called "DRLA" for their down-draft design. Those have also not been made for a while, and used complete sets (add a pair of rebuild gasket kits) can range from $300 to over $500. They came in the sizes 36, 40, 45, 48 DRLA. A pair of 36 or 40 would be fine for your 1776, but once again you must get the right venturie. A 30mm venturie would work well.
drago
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ragman

My experience with Kads is very limited other than what I have read and seen. I have a heap of experience with webers on engines other than VW's particularly with rally car race engines.

Webers in my opinion are the best carb built and are made to a very high quality that last for years and are totally rebuildable when they get old. The castings are top quality and as long as the jetting is right they are spot on.

If you compare them with a set of Kadrons the Kads dont seem to be any where near the quality of the webers and that is probably reinforced when AJ Sims says that he checks every set of kads and any parts that are faulty are swapped. You would rarely hear of that happening with a set of webers.

So Carb v carb I would go for the webers. Plus I reckon they look cooler Very Happy and are thought of as more upmarket than the kads for resale later on.

From a VW performance viewpoint it seems that they are much of a muchness once the kads have been worked on by someone who knows what they are doing.

Aircooled.net have good quality weber intakes/air cleaners/linkage kit for about $120 on special.

I reckon go with the webers. Very Happy Not that the kads wouldnt work Wink

cheers drago
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Generally what you have to do is just plug the vacuum retard port at the carb with the SVDA and all will be fine.

The webers also run better with a SVDA.

yep...what he said...i am very happy with the combo (34pict3 and svda on a stock 1600cc dp with stock exhaust), but i have a pair of old kads lying around that have recently been calling my name...they need a total rebuild though...

i also had a pair of webber 40's (bought new) that i used to replace a PO's crappy solex carb on a 2.0L FI bus....i was not impressed...pawned them off on mike H. (who was not impressed either)...i honestly think they were cursed...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
bugntjw
Rants Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about CBs carbs with the dual chokes? Anyone running these? What do you think? Price seems good with carbs and linkage for $300

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1180

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solex PDSITs were used on type IIIs in the late 60s and performed well. THese are the same carbs with aluminum manifolds. I used a set for years coupled with a 010 dizzy and ran like a top. A set of Kads will give you a little more top end though.
vwfan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that the CB dual solex 34 is absolutely awesome. I haven't personally run them, but a few of the top big drag gurus in my region can't say enough good about them for mild performance. That would be my ideal setup.
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it were me, i would go with the weber 40's. at least the venturis are easy to get to as well as the jets. ac.net sold me a great set of 44's and i love them. set them up for me as well. Dave. :2gunfire:
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality wise, Kadrons can't hold a candle to Webers, IMO.

I vote for the Webers, hands down, no contest.

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
Brad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running the CB Dual 34's on my 1600 in the Beetle an it adds some nice pep to a stock motor with stock style stainless exhaust. But for my 2010 I will be running dual Webber 40 IDF's. I think each of these carburetors have their place in the vast VW world and most of them cross over and can be used for may applications. I had found a nice chart on a German site that covered the applications of different carburetors and placed it in a post I made when I installed my dual 34's but the site has moved and while typing this post it took me an hour to find the new location of the chart on the flat4.de webpage but here is the url to the page the chart is on http://www.flat4.de/zcarb.htm Translated http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl...f%26sa%3DG and here is the chart
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
According to it the Webber 40 IDF's are to small for my 2010 but it's going in a Double Cab and I want it for torque and reliability not to blow the doors off of the guy in the next lane. I hope the chart helps and the length of time it took me to find it excuses my ramblings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: