Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water Tank for a SO-42
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offroadjunky101 wrote:
I know this thread is old but Inca finally got their website working, they now have a link for the westy tanks about halfway down the page.

http://www.incaplastics.com/page15.html

Anyone order this tank from the link? Are the fittings in the correct area or is there mods that need to be made to design prior to purchase for my application. I'm needing a tank for my 66 Westy. Hoping this items is plug and play?
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Anyone order this tank from the link? . . . Hoping this items is plug and play?

Sorry, I haven't, but I have been seriously considering it. When my parents used our Westy for camping, we used the tank all the time.
If you get a price from them, then please PM me. I'd be interested to know the current cost.

To my understanding, however, it is not "plug & play"... it is ONLY the tank, meaning that any and all of the other parts (Neck filler, Faucet-pump, Bottom Drain plug...).

Then again; I guess that is plug and play; 'cept that you provide the plug(s).

I've got a late-67 SO-42 Walkthrough, and I feel confident that this tank will line-up correctly with my original cabinet.

Here's some forum pictures illustrating some of the other needed parts:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Below is some kind of valve at the bottom that in turn goes through the hole in your floor. My original one, if I recall, had an easy drain screw/knob so that you can empty the tank. This gallery picture I found, it looks like there's a turn-screw release on there(?). Not sure if there's easy after market stuff for any of this, stuff that you can adapt, and how it can be done.
Open to anyone chiming in with what they did/used.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They cost $120 plus shipping
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a real one if anybody needs one. PM me
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my new INCA Plastics SO-42 Water Tank today in the mail here at work (picture below).

vicdan wrote:
...I used a 90 degree plastic barbed fitting with clear plastic tubing for lines.

Question: my guess is that this top (middle) fitting where the pump will ultimately connect to will require a tube, inside of the tank that goes to the bottom of the tank, yes?

Also; simple suggestions of where to pick up the basic hardware (such as a 90 degree plastic barbed fitting with clear plastic tubing for lines.)?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Received my new INCA Plastics SO-42 Water Tank today in the mail here at work (picture below).

vicdan wrote:
...I used a 90 degree plastic barbed fitting with clear plastic tubing for lines.

Question: my guess is that this top (middle) fitting where the pump will ultimately connect to will require a tube, inside of the tank that goes to the bottom of the tank, yes?

Also; simple suggestions of where to pick up the basic hardware (such as a 90 degree plastic barbed fitting with clear plastic tubing for lines.)?

Yes long hard last if tube straighter the better goes from a fitting in top center to bottom of tank. Rv store or homedepot sells this. The fitting that the 90*plastict fitting goes into looks like this

you will have to make this. Simple!! Small piece of copper tube soldered onto the correct hose fitting.
Homedepot, Ace or any good pluming supply would have everything you need.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

So, is this tank for the sink drain (gray water) or for the water to the sink?

What would an SO-44 have for the sink drain?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

This is the tank for drinking water/water pumped to tub on shelf.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

Ok. Must only be for SO42 sink design then.

Where does the sink drain to? Just out a drain through the floor?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Ok. Must only be for SO42 sink design then.

Where does the sink drain to? Just out a drain through the floor?

No sink in an SO42. The water tank has a drain tube that goes directly underneath it and thru the floor.

Edit - photo showing hole:

amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

Which makes me think, VW must of had a proper "sink bowl" they sold with their westies of that age. Any pictures of what that bowl looked like, say for a 1967 Westfalia Camper?

For some reason I picture a barf bowl like my mom put next to my bed in the 60s/70s when I got sick. hehe

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

Our SO44 has a regular sink with a faucet.

AFAIK, the second 10L tank is the gray water?
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:

Yes long hard last if tube straighter the better goes from a fitting in top center to bottom of tank. Rv store or homedepot sells this. The fitting that the 90*plastic fitting goes into looks like this

you will have to make this. Simple!! Small piece of copper tube soldered onto the correct hose fitting.
Homedepot, Ace or any good pluming supply would have everything you need.

OK; back to all this again...

Last summer I got everything rigged up. NOT ideally, however, because it stopped working properly for me.
I need/want to get this all fixed up and working before July.

I've got an overly complex system (pictured below).

This is my newly manufactured tank from Inca Plastics.
The right-angle in the top middle is merely a pass-through point that I painstakingly managed to shove a tube of small diameter plastic tubing through.
It goes all the way down into the tank (lazily, with extra curled up inside on the bottom thanks to gravity).
The brass fitting you see, is merely something I devised so that it would step the small tubing up to a larger size.
The gray part is a "check valve" ("Holds pump prime without overloading pump suction.") which was recommended by someone on the forums (was it Crofty?)...

...and then finally to the after-market hand-pump on the top of the ice box.

Something or everything is failing in this system for me.

curtis4085: The part you made; is that going into the top-center, and then a 90-degree fitting into that?
What do you have going INTO the tank to the bottom?
You had written; "you will have to make this. Simple!! Small piece of copper tube soldered onto the correct hose fitting."
Simple; well, perhaps for those who regularly solder piping parts...?

So in short;
I'm trying to find out specifically what others have done to get their new tanks working. ...and specifically what parts they used.

Much appreciated in advance for help/links to specific pieces/parts and/or someone who can/will build or sell the parts I need.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

If you remove the hose just before it goes into the pump and suck by mouth do you draw water from the tank?

I'll bet you the vinyl hose you have going into the tank is pinched.

You don't need a check valve as the pump should have its own. If you do use a check valve don't use a spring loaded one.

What is the NPT thread size going into the tank as the pickup? Depending on the thread size there are variations of this: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/moeller-marine-fue...fgodsDIJSg
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
If you remove the hose just before it goes into the pump and suck by mouth do you draw water from the tank?

BarryL; did you just tell me I should just go and suck it?!?

JUST KIDDING...

Did as you asked; yes, I can get some water through suction, but either my lungs aren't good enough to get more than a trickle, or, as you suggest, the line is a bit too crimped.
Tested the hand-pump again with a bowl of water, and it works fine.

Fine being relative; the hand-pump works the same way I remember the original one working in the early 1970's: has to "prime" its self enough, and then it releases water in bursts.
This is a replacement I found, and bought mainly because the after-market ones out there that look more like the original require three screws, meaning that you have to drill two new holes.
This one lines up with the original two-screw placement that already exists from the original.

BACK to the problem on-hand:
Having too much line and the step-up and the check-value can't be helping.
I also wonder of the clear flexible tubing I am using is perhaps a bit too elastic?
Might it merely be working against getting a good draw if it is allows for expansion?
Doubtful (that it is a noticeable amount of elasticity), but I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the link, BarryL to the pick-up tubing fixture.
It's obvious that a straight-tube is a much better solution than my gravity method of having extra tubing curled up on the inside bottom of the tank (so that it reaches the bottom).

The "pick-up" is a 3/8" FTP Vent...

http://www.incaplastics.com/VWWF.pdf

...and the internal height of the tank is approx. 26 inches.

Now that I have some better terminology of what I am trying to find, I'm on the hunt. Thanks again!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
This is a replacement I found, and bought mainly because the after-market ones out there that look more like the original require three screws, meaning that you have to drill two new holes.
This one lines up with the original two-screw placement that already exists from the original.

Are you referring to the pump?

If so, where did you find this pump?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

The pump with two screws (like the original) is out of production now. You can find one that looks the same but has three holes a lot of places.

Zebra RV Hand Rocker Pump

http://rvpartaccessories.com/products-page/rv-fres...-zebra-rv/
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
The pump with two screws (like the original) is out of production now.

...actually, perhaps it is again!

I dug up my receipt from 2015, and looked it up, and unlike mine (pictured below with yellow background), if you go to the product now, today (March 24th, 2017),
it looks like the CURRENT JC804 looks almost identical to the original SO-42 with only two screws!

LINK:
http://www.rvplus.com/r.v.-accessories-pump-rocker-chrome-jc804.html

Someone buy one and let us know.

Here's mine from 2015 (with the two properly placed holes):

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
BarryL wrote:

...yes, I can get some water through suction....a trickle...the line is a bit too crimped.
Tested the hand-pump again with a bowl of water, and it works fine...The "pick-up" is a[b] 3/8" FTP Vent.

Try to find a pickup wand that has the 3/8" NPT or use a 3/8"-to-1/4" bushing and go with the type I posted. It should have the stiffer tube on it and not be hose that could collapse.

I think your blockage is where you 90 degree it into the tank top.

DadaCheese wrote:
...the hand-pump works the same way I remember the original one working in the early 1970's: has to "prime" its self enough, and then it releases water in bursts.

That is normal. If you leave the lever in one position is supposedly stays primed and the other it returns to the tank so it can't freeze.

DadaCheese wrote:
Having too much line and the step-up and the check-value can't be helping. I also wonder of the clear flexible tubing I am using is perhaps a bit too elastic?

Step up is not a problem, Check valve if is the spring type will be hard to prime. If you want a check valve try to find a gravity ball type or flap style.
The tubing could collapse under vacuum inside the tank but outside you should be fine but keep it high and short as possible.

New question: do you have the mouse hole or pull ring to open your rear hatch from inside? If not, you may want to add that.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tank for a SO-42 Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
New question: do you have the mouse hole or pull ring to open your rear hatch from inside? If not, you may want to add that.

BarryL; love learning new terms... what the heck do you mean?

We're not talking about the water tank/fridge unit anymore, right?

Are you talking about some way to open the back hatch (cargo, or engine compartment?) while inside the car?
...and if so (either one); why?

...and if you have that rigged up (for what I assume is a great reason), do you have pictures to share?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: