Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How did they accomplish this?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: How did they accomplish this? Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just crazy, but my armrest has me stumped. The previous owner installed split Bus armrests on the doors of my '70 Westy. It looks OK on the passenger door, so I figured I'd leave it alone for now. But the drivers one is hacked up all around the armrest, and today I found out why Confused .

I went to remove the passenger door panel today, to replace my vent window with the broken latch. After taking everything off the door, I realized that armrest is holding the door panel on. After examining the hacked-up one, I found out they're bolted on, from the back with bolts through the metal behind the door panel. I can't get the door panel off until I take the armrest off, but I can't get the armrest off until I get the panel off. Ahhh! Obviously if it went on, it has to come off somehow. I don't want to chop up my nice door panel, like the P.O did to the other one. Any ideas? Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the offending armrest behind the seatbelt in this pic. Don't mind the flower, its gone now Cool I had to tape my window shut today with 60MPH tape so I don't have another snowdrift on my floor, so I really need to fix this thing.
tonguetwiztid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: thats a good one... Reply with quote

i wish i could help ya on that one....are you able to kinda flex the corner down enough to squeeze an arm and a wrench behind the panel???
Did you get the post i left you about having a original plaid curtain?? By the way... what kind of heat do you have in your bus? Since we are in the same weather i was wondering what works good up here. I am in the process of getting a gas heater right now and figured that would do the trick. its a real nice used eberspacher that would go in the engine compartment to the left of the motor.

LONG LIVE THE AIRCOOLED VW!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangeeyesore
Samba Bammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im guessing you already tried taking the window crank off as well as the other parts on the front section of the panel and then tried pulling it back far enouth to get inside????

As it says, who have you got as a quote in your signature line and why?
orangekoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that the armrest slides onto the bolt? Have you tried sliding it up or down or to a side to get it off? Like you said, if it got on its gotta come off.

Maybe you can hack a bit further on the driver side door panel to figure out how to get the arm rest off...
thenexttownshend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe door panel snaps into its place, unsanap as many as you can from the bottom and sides untill you can reach behind and undo the armrests

-1973 Bus Type II
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did take everything else off, and I undid the door panel. I'm afraid of wrecking it since they seem a bit brittle. There doesn't appear to be enough room for my hand and a wrench to get down there. But I should probably "practice" on the one thats already wrecked. I'm usually good at this stuff, this one really perplexes me Mad

Tonguetwiztid, I actually haven't even tried the heat yet. I know some stuff needs to be hooked back up, after that I'll decide if I want a gas heater. If you get that gas heater, let me know how it works out. I found a guy who supposedly has a few around here.
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if there are plastic plugs on the ends of the arm rest... if there are pop them out, might be screws holding it on.

That being said, given the struggle you've been through you've probably already checked! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all need to pitch in and add a chapter to Bentley entitled, "Moronic Crap Dumb POs Did To Our Buses, and How To Fix Their Ef-Ups."
Hell, I could write a chapter myself! Rolling Eyes
bdann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penthink wrote:
I think we all need to pitch in and add a chapter to Bentley entitled, "Moronic Crap Dumb POs Did To Our Buses, and How To Fix Their Ef-Ups."

I could help you with that. I've got more "mystery holes" drilled, and wires that don't lead anywhere than I care to think about!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdann wrote:
penthink wrote:

I could help you with that. I've got more "mystery holes" drilled, and wires that don't lead anywhere than I care to think about!

I hear that. I was cleaning up my dash today, and I kept finding more and more buttons, switches, and other mysterious items. And there are all kinds of various wires, boxes, and connecters under the dash that definitely didn't come stock in any Bus. Theres no way one tape player can account for them all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: