Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trickle charger and ac/dc wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Jet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Trickle charger and ac/dc wiring Reply with quote

Has anyone added an automatic trickle charger to their westie? I have an 85 with the regular battery and a deep cycle battery. I was thinking of adding a trickle charger to the deep cycle so that whenever I plugged the westie in for the fridge it would also trickle charge the battery at the same time. alternately set a switch so the interior lights would work off the plug when it was plugged in and off the battery when it was not. I haven't looked into the second option at all I am just brainstorming prior to starting anything. My wife always jokes that what takes mechanic X number of hours I do in X number of days. so before I start I am hoping to get a little guidance if possible. Thanks The Jet (Jet is on my licence by complete random chance, I still have the wasserbox under the hood so the licence is a little irony
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy For the trickle charger, you can hook it up strait to the wiring for the city power.. You can probably hide it under a cabinet somewhere. Just find a good place for it to fit, and extend the outputs to reach the batery. since you will be passing low amps, the wire should not warm up or anything. as far as the light thing, the trickle charger should put in to the batery just about as much as the lights take out. if you have a good gharger, the drain on the batery should be negligable. If you must have them wired up to city power, see if you can get a big 12v power supply from an old lap top or something, and wire it in at the same time as the trickle. Then you need to run a wire from the lights (take it from just before the fuse box where they get power) to a 2 position switch. they should have three connections on the switch. the negative wire from the power supply gets grounded, and the positive goes to the switch on one side. the 12v power from the battery goes to the other side, with the output to the light in the middle. Switch one way...batery power, switch other way....power supply. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope,

Never did it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, wait...

Yes I did. Cool

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/vanagon/hacks.htm

$19, and 20 min. I even added a spare cigar socket behind the seat..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy You da man..... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: