Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon air condition "performance"
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Vanagon air condition "performance" Reply with quote

I've had my full westy for 12 years, but really never cared for A/C. Now I have two 'chitlins and a wife that is used to riding next to a Honda refrigerator. It's been murmered that perhaps a Eurovan would be an improvement..gasp..gasp..pant...

I live in East TN where the summers are 90/90 degrees/humidity. Will tinting the windows, putting on a new? R12($100 per lb.) compressor do any good. I've read on the Volvo boards that R135 does not work well with R12 systems, true? One plus with R135 is that is economical, easy to get and with my vacuum pump, I can do all the work as often as I like till I get it at max performance.

I wish we could all live in NorCal where I understand A/C is not needed. Bu, I really like my house payment at what 1/2 a apartment rents for.
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you pain, I now live in Miami Florida where is hot and humid all the time. I can tell from experience that tinting the windows (specially if you use the tint which utilizes metal oxides to tint instead of a dye) that your interior will be cooler. Also the heat transfer via radiant mode is greatly reduced.

As far as R134 be aware that when you do a conversion you most remove all the old oil including the dryer. The R134 is not compatible with the old oil and it must be replaced. Furthermore R134 is not as efficient as the R12 but since you have the old system it would be cheaper.

I assume you have checked your evaporator, condensor, hoses and there are no leaks, right? The system in my 70 Beetle was so far gone that it was cheaper to install a new one. I chose to go with the one from www.gilmore-enterprises.com.

Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: