Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blown oil filter gaskets
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cocoboots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Blown oil filter gaskets Reply with quote

I recently replaced the head on my 83 vw westphalia. subsequent to doing so, i experience blown oil filter gaskets with oil being spewed all about the engine compartment.
I have replaced the head on the passenger side only, after previously replacing the water gasket on the same side. Can someone suggest what might be causing the extreme oil pressure? thanks
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coco this happened to me on a diesel vanagon several times before someone suggested to replace the oil pump, because the relief valve is stuck.....

Easy enough on a I-4 but a pain in a tookus on a waterleaker. Your relief valve is stuck. You can nurse the engine when its cold, by NOT reving it up. YOU might try flushing the engine with engine cleaner, which MIGHT wash out the crud that has the spring stuck open.

Now, someone who is a wiz with the waterboxer might know if the relief valve is located on the outside of the case, like the old 1300 air cooled engine off of the bugs...which, would solve the issue.

But the oil is thick when cold, reving it up allows probably 100 plus lbs of oil pressure, causing the weakest point to pop...the gasket

wait til you see an oil filter swell up like a balloon and burst Embarassed
cocoboots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i was driving back and forth from the train station, I thought of precisely what you mentioned. I will try to unstuck the oil relief valve.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A old man taught me a fix on this (stuck p valve) Drain 1 quart of oil, add 1 quart of auto trans fluid, start and idle the engine for an hour or so.DO NOT REV! Running a test guage off the sender port helps. Trans fluid is highly detergent and really loosens up the crap.When you are done dump and refill with new oil and filter.
cocoboots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out the oil pressure relief valve; plug came out, spring came out, but the valve is stuck and it won't come out!!!!!!!!!!!
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101603

I had the same problem on my 1600. you can use a bottoming tap and use it to cut e few threads into the bottom of the plunger and then use it to pull it out. Bentley said to use a 3/8 tap, but I needed a 1/2. Keep in mind that this was a 1600, but it might work on the waterpumper too.

You need to hook up a pressure gauge and see what you are getting.
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with auto trans fluid, I used Marvel Mystery OIL on a 1.6 diesel engine that would blow oil filters up like baloons....

YOU need to get that plunger out of engine, clean up the area and maybe if you are lucky you can re use the plunger since its obviously stuck....
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the tap to get the plunger out.
Then use a small file to get rid of the raised parts of the gouges that you are most likely going to find on the plunger, and then finish it off with a good polishing using some scotch brite.
You can use a small peice of emery cloth on a small wooden dowel to polish off any defects up in the plunger bore. After working in the plunger bore, I used a gun cleaning rod with some shotgun size cleaning patches to make sure I got it good and clean before I reassembled. I know that seems a little wierd, but hey, you make due with what you got. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: