Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

multifunction switch?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: multifunction switch? Reply with quote

This is a very odd electrical problem which I hae never experienced. I'll start my 87 vanagon, and the lights won't turn on, (or my heater or wipers). Sometimes I can turn the key on and off and get them to come on, but sometimes not. However, if I pull the brights (passing lights) everything works. I have looked through the bently at the various switches and conntections in the area around the steering, and have decided to make an educated guess that it is the multifunction switch. However, I was hoping to get a little confirmation before I order the part.

Cheers!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, the usual thing to do, areound here, is to go the Pick-A-Part for that part and just try it. They are not cheap to buy new.

Did you try to reseat the connectors? Did you use the Bentley and a test lamp or meter to verify your suspections?

It is a pretty basic circuit and sometimes the switches can act funny. By funny, I mean the can come unsnapped and act weird. Seen that before.

I'd try and sub another one in, first. You can do that with out removing the steering wheel. Simple. In fact, to test, you can even use switches out a Jetta or Golf. They are all almost identical excepting the switch arm is shaped different. If needed, I can send a brown one that worked for you to test with.

As stated those switches are not cheap. But, then again they do not fail that often, actually.

Good luck,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't tried to test anything yet. I am just in the information gathering stage. I had not even checked the price untill you said they are expensive, and yes you are right. I will have a closer look at my current siuation, and make sure something hasn't just rattled loose. I do spend a little time offroad and on logging roads with it. I hope it just needs a little encouragement.
-Josh
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problems, and it turned out to be the ignition switch! If you remove the cover to the steering column and wiggle the connector or wire bundle and your light come on and the ac works you may have found your culprit. It is a bit of fun to get out, but only about an hour job.

Cheers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like the accer. side of the ing. switch is shot . due to the high beams are always hot you are "by passing the main supply " recheck all pwer supply and relays .remember vw put flimsy wire in .
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ig switch,jump it to be sure.
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out it is the ignition switch. Now on to the replacing. The Bently says to remove the steering column lock. Is that the same thing as the steering lock housing? And if so do I need a special puller? Or will any old puller work?

Thanks everyone

Josh
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the entire silver colored part. Unplug everything take off the turn signal and wiper stalks tap on a piece of 2x4 from the backside, make sure the column is unlocked.

Putting it back on is the trick. You have to make sure that the part where the column compresses (the weird rubber and offeset pin part on the bottom) keeps from compressing when you tap it back in place.

Cheers,
james
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James. That sounds simple enough, and I happen to have a large pile of 2x4 scraps

Cheers!
Josh
walrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced three ignition switches in my Jetta. It seems that some replacements are from Mexico and are junk. When they went out I had power but could not get it to crank.
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success, well almost. I was able to replace the ignition switch with relative ease. Thanks for the tip about keeping the column from compressing. I cut a peice of wood to wedge between the joing at the base and the floor board. Started it up and everything worked perfectly. Except, my horn doesn't function. i made sure and space the sleve two inches from the top of the column, and the turnsignal stich. I am sure that will be easy enough to figure out.
Thanks again
Josh
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: FYI Reply with quote

FYI: Over the years I have come to find out that large key bundles are the main ignition switch killers. Aside from over current conditions, big bundles of keys place a stress on the lock which translates to a deflection in the end inside which pushes on the contacts inside the switch.

I always have a spare in the van, just in case.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a strong believer in keeping the key bundle down to a minimum. I have seen keys fall out of ignitions, with their keychain having at least five pounds of keys on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: