Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

I'm excited to contribute a bus to this thread!

1960 15 window that I've started buffing but am on the fence about CLR'ing the driver's side. I like how it's faded since that was the side not in the trees, but can't help but wonder what it might look like with some of the rust stains gone...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

These 3 pics are of my 62 delux, as found in 1988, OG paint, then later in 2010, kind of glad I didn't restore back then in the 90's, going to clean it up and put back together and drive, stripped all the parts off and bagged and tagged everything, sunroof was shot so will use a 67s roof I scrapped about the same time as the 62 acquisition, hey, they were cheap and plentiful back then! Sorry first pic is old, no digital camera back then!

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

I love me some OG Paint!

superjet437
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Drove my OG paint 1966 to work yesterday. So many people asked me when am I going to fix the dents and paint it!

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Squilly wrote:
I'm excited to contribute a bus to this thread!

1960 15 window that I've started buffing but am on the fence about CLR'ing the driver's side. I like how it's faded since that was the side not in the trees, but can't help but wonder what it might look like with some of the rust stains gone...

Wow! The less done, the better.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

I bought my '61 mouse grey standard over twelve years ago. It was entirely original paint, except the wheels and bumpers had been bomb-canned white. The bumpers looked OK, but they were really pretty bad. I never removed the rear bumper until last week, when I installed an original paint bumper that I found a while back. Anyone who plays the original paint bus game knows how hard original paint rear bumpers are to find.

Before:

After:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I bought my '61 mouse grey standard over twelve years ago. It was entirely original paint, except the wheels and bumpers had been bomb-canned white. The bumpers looked OK, but they were really pretty bad. I never removed the rear bumper until last week, when I installed an original paint bumper that I found a while back. Anyone who plays the original paint bus game knows how hard original paint rear bumpers are to find.

Before:

After:

Are you going to leave the new bumper as is? You could wipe the burnt looking area very carefully with a weak solution of CLR and water and lighten it up a little. Or do you like the contrast?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Lind wrote:

Before:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2093744.jpg
After:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2093743.jpg
Are you going to leave the new bumper as is? You could wipe the burnt looking area very carefully with a weak solution of CLR and water and lighten it up a little. Or do you like the contrast?
I am fine with the dry rust look. I will probably clean it some, but just with soap and water.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
Lind wrote:

Before:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2093744.jpg
After:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2093743.jpg
I am fine with the dry rust look. I will probably clean it some, but just with soap and water.

I’d be torn what to do with that bumper, to not touch it, or treat it here and there. Finding one like that, the right bumper for the “right” bus, sure is a good feeling though.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Some updated photos of my patina 15 window, more put together and cleaned up now. I just need to find some patina'd beauty rings and put the bumper trim on and I think it'll be all set for the exterior.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Squilly wrote:
Some updated photos of my patina 15 window, more put together and cleaned up now. I just need to find some patina'd beauty rings and put the bumper trim on and I think it'll be all set for the exterior.

Nice, those tires look meaty.

On the rings, do you mean dinged up or faded or ?
Most of the used ones I see are dull and not very nice due to age.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Squilly wrote:

Nice, those tires look meaty.

On the rings, do you mean dinged up or faded or ?
Most of the used ones I see are dull and not very nice due to age.

Yeah, I think a set in that condition would be perfect. Noting too shiny on this one!
55bundt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

This has been one of my favorite threads and cant believe I never contributed.
This is my 1959 tourist delivery deluxe found sitting under a carport in Electra Tx 20+ years ago. Basically a complete bus minus rear seats. Last registered in 1971.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

dang - there is a username I havent seen in a while. nice bus
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Killer interior
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

Killer exterior.
1964 Chop Top
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

55bundt wrote:

I really love a bus butt without over riders. Such clean lines.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

55bundt wrote:
This is my 1959 tourist delivery deluxe found sitting under a carport in Electra Tx 20+ years ago.

Yours is only the 2nd euro 15 window Ive seen to still exist, the other was from TX too but had semaphores (Skim). People said euro 15s didnt exist but a photo and these two buses are proof of these rare birds

You should put it here for the count.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399327
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
55bundt wrote:
This is my 1959 tourist delivery deluxe found sitting under a carport in Electra Tx 20+ years ago.

Yours is only the 2nd euro 15 window Ive seen to still exist, the other was from TX too but had semaphores (Skim). People said euro 15s didnt exist but a photo and these two buses are proof of these rare birds

You should put it here for the count.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399327

I saw one with a Denmark delivery code.
The earliest 15 window known is a German delivered '51
There is another pile of BD 15 that came out of a rock quarry in the Netherlands I believe.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Reply with quote

What about the Euro 15 with Japan export code, came out of N. Idaho some 12 years ago? Coded for OG safari's and ambulance fans.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 82

Jump to: