Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sagging rear and electrics
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surftypeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: sagging rear and electrics Reply with quote

greetings all in westy land- so then , my 85 westy looks like its fully loaded when its not. how do i remedy this?? also, why cant i plug in my tv, or use my electricity when i am driving? thanks in advance-
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rear end sags to much the correct fix would be new springs, but you can compensate with air shocks, or air bags in the rear springs
http://airlift.r-catalog.com/choosecats.asp?hdnUK=27354
The AC power on the cabinet by the refrigerator works only when the outlet on the outside of the van is connected to a power outlet, via an extention cord, (Westys came with a big thick black one) like at a campsite with electricity. if you want to use anything while driving it has to run off 12 volt and you plug it into the cig. lighter. This is why people get second batteries.
surftypeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the reply..........
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my story. It seems there is a group of 85 (early?) Westies that are nose high all the time. Mine started at 18 inches in the front and 16 in the back. So I added syncro.org rear springs, thinking mine we saggy. It settled into 16.5 inches in the back. UGH. So on the advice of another member in post http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151963 I got a pair of Napa # 58595 shocks. I installed them in the back and they seem to be settling in to aroung 18 inches. I had to modify a small flange on each side of the van so the spring would pass. No big deal with a air powered die grinder with a cutoff wheel. We'll see if I add airbags, later. For now, I am pretty happy. Ride in the rear improved and it seems a bit more stabile. I may later only add a front sway bar now. We'll see how this setup works.

BTW: An old time VW master mechanic told me the Vanagons with the high noses were done that way for stability. I have not noticed a difference, yet in that regard. My van seemed more stable on the freeway. Trucks did not bother me. In fact, I did not even notice trucks, come to think about it. YMMV.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - I just installed the syncro.or springs all around on my 87 Westy
2WD. THough I would need spacers on rear due to sag. But entire van settled in at 17.5. I was stoked. I'm sure over time the rear will give in a little because of the weight. but that's another day!
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161643
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.knology.net/~vw/vanagon/sag/

this is what I did...works like a charm. same thing as sold on syncro.org but i made them for 6 bucks and used a dremel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 81 westy measured at 16 up front and 17 in the back.

while it doesnt make it look like the but is sagging, I think the front shocks are pretty much shot - which is why it sits so low up front.

do these napa shocks fit the front as well?

how is the ride now that they have been broken in?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weak shocks won't affect the ride height. Weak springs will.

There may be coil-overs that will fit the front, but you need to wade through specs to find the correct mounting hardware dimensions, and the extended and compressed lengths. Then find the specs for OEM replacements, and compare.

NAPA recommended front:http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.as...60+-+Front

Possible NAPA coilover replacement (lower mounting hole is bigger):
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.as...er+-+Front

That was a quick five minute online check. If you have the spec book from Monroe (maker of the NAPA shocks) you could narrow the search down more rapidly.

I would caution you that there are more dynamics at work in the front end than the rear, and substituting the load-adjusters may not be a great idea. Sure worked sweet on the rears, though!

Good luck-
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the airbags mentioned above. They lifted my van 1.5" and lock the back down in cross winds. They were my 2nd most noticable upgrade after the light/relay upgrade.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own an '85 Westy Wolfsburg edition camper, which as you may know are famous for being very tall in the front and just so average in the rear. The combination is laughable.

I devised a very simple spacer solution:

http://www.knology.net/~vw/vanagon/sag/

Polyethylene cutting board is easy to cut in an ironic sort of way, yet it's tough enough for this application. I put nearly 50 thousand miles on them over 2 years with no problem. I ended up reducing the number of spacers to two.

JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear springs are probably not worn out they are just too short compared to the fronts on an 85.
On my 85 I had 19 in the front and 16.5 in the rear, I put the Monroe coil shocks on and gained a little over an 1" so it still didn't look right.

I did the cookie board and that got the van level but now the Monroe shocks are to short, they top out over bumps. So now I had to buy Syncro rear shocks.

Jeff

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above link is dead along with my web hosting account. Here's the updated link with pictures:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4116136#4116136
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: