Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just some kinds words about my wife.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Just some kinds words about my wife. Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I am I really lucky guy to have such a great woman. I bought this van as my daily driver. She wanted to buy a new minivan when she got pregnant with our second child. We looked of course I wasnt against it we needed it. The van was not very reliable. In the meantime though The old WBX motor blew. So now we had one vehicle. I bought a small crappy daily driver for myself. And she was making due with 2 kids in a suzuki aerio as our family car. So we of course we car shopping. We had about 4K saved for a downpayment, And shopped for a good 4 months. Went as far as to almost sign the papers on a 4 runner, (would have been too small). So one afternoon my wife suggested why dont we take the money we have and start fixing up your van for me. I wasnt for it at first we needed a car in a hurry so I was thinking an engine conversion would be what I wanted to do. And The time frame just wasnt what I was looking for.

So finally she convinced me and I decided on the diesel conversion. Everything seemed to falling into place or so I thought. I was quickly learning major engine conversions Are not that simple.So Im about 6 months in and still not done. Someone smashed my daily driver. So we are bam back to one car. All while im working fulltime at my job. So again out to get another cheapo daily driver. And it takes me about another 5 months to finish the job. (due to 72 hour work weeks).

So thats where we are at now she has yet to drive it. My daily driver is breaking down so she has just been hanging out at home while I take the car to work. Today I took the van and was running errands and it did really good. Although it revs a bit high with the auto trans.

I came in and told her honey we need new tires and wheels to get the Rpm's lower. She said Ok does that mean I Cant drive it. I said no just running around town is fine.

her only question was "when can I get it detailed? "

Just thought the women who support us in this hobby deserved some recognition.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say you said it all.
Save this post for when it needs another upgrad then show it to her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will She really is great considering I have spent close to $7k on a van I originally spent $400 on .
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should marry that woman.... OH! you already did. Good choice. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend/almost wife loves our transporter. Finds it comfortable and likes riding in it. But she really likes it because it's much slower than the beetle.
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for supporting wives.
As my Pathfinder rusted, the wife had actually listened to my reminiscing of my former bus and she was agreeable with how great it would be for our camping trips...especially after a recent one that poured rain and made the tent miserable.

She not only found my current bus at an estate sale and encouraged me to look at it, but fully supported the purchase.

Of course, this means that if she and the kids have free days and I'm working, she gets to use the bus for a camping trip while I use her minivan to get to work.
But I'm cool with that.

She also supports my tweaks and mods, as long as I can convince her of the usefulness. The most recent aux battery project was halfway justified so she could have a fan on hot nights and a place to charge her cellphone...

We've plenty of things to argue about Wink but thankfully, at least so far, the bus and its needs aren't one of them!
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. It is always good to have the support when investing so much money into 20+ year old vehicles. I got lucky in the sense that a Westfalia happens to be my wife's dream car, but towards the end she was having her doubts! But now, it's all good. We just got in from a day trip, a.k.a. mini-vacation. Very Happy
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a happy spouse is a happy house Wink
BigNick0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I need to contribute to this thread. My wife has been trying to talk me into pulling the trigger on a rebuilt WBX for our van. The current engine is running great, but dripping a bit from the passenger-side head gasket and OP is a little low. It's got 180K on the bottom, so it's ready. I'm just a little nervous to spend the cash in these economic times. My job is highly unstable and will be impossible to replace without relocating. Somehow in her mind, buying a new engine for the van makes more sense than saving some cushion cash for the looming rainy day.

Shouldn't I be the one fighting for a new engine?

I consider myself fortunate. And, the engine WILL get replaced sooner rather than later.

-Nick
momsvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a gal and mom, I guess I can chime in. The way to many a woman's heart is to appeal to the practical aspects of van and camper ownership. Anything that is going to make her and the family more comfy camping, and getting around is usually considered money well spent. More than 'just a car' Very Happy

allsierra123, you've got a keeper, and it sounds like you are a good worker yourself.
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife let me rebuild our engine in the kitchen. It was her idea, in fact. Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skaaudivw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice my wife drives our 85 westy all spring summer fall. about 4 months ago she said we need a syncro. So i've been looking and missed a few nice ones but still looking. Im in no rush as I want this one to be my last one. Hopefully we get one before the snow falls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 22 years camping in our '86 Westy, my wife decided she wanted a trailer instead, something with a shower and bathroom, so, while I was down in Baja, she ordered a 17 foot fiberglass trailer (Casita). She also had to buy me a new truck to haul it.

I, however am not willing to give up on our Vanagon. It has many advantages over towing a trailer. She knows how much I love it so she has not insisted we sell it, and meanwhile we have the best of both worlds .

When we want to spend 5 weeks in the mountains of Idaho, we take the trailer, but when we want to go camping for a weekend in So. Utah, the Vanagon is perfect for the dirt roads (all those places that you can't tow a trailer).

I have to keep reminding her about all those wonderful places we can go with the Vanagon, and taking her there so she still appreciates it also.

I doesn't get as many miles on it as it used to, but at 130K it should last a long time at the rate we're using it.

Rich
jetta jimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: I, too have a very understanding wife Reply with quote

We had our first child in February. We love camping (well, I do). We also have a 70lb yellow lab. We all are not going to fit in either my jetta or her car. I thought the best thing would be a westy. I looked and looked. Finally found one on Craigslist in great shape and for a good price.

Sunday, I took my brother and we went for a 2.5 hour journey to see the van. He's a mechanic and looked it over - all good. The deal was made and we were on our way home.

Tuesday, I got laid off from my job. She has not even mentioned a thought of getting rid of the camper. She is awesome and I can't wait to have many adventures with our growing family.

Laughing

64 Split
73 Super
74 Baja
82 Westy
00 Jetta
95 F150
05 Element
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went out to dinner with my wife and explained how we needed the 15" Rheins with Nokians for the '87 Westy, plus a few more (4) Rheins in reserve (for the furure trip to Alaska) since they are not going to be around in a few years. She gave the OK. Very Happy Shocked Very Happy

What a great woman to have married. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: