Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch TOB Operating Shaft Bushings
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Edwards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Clutch TOB Operating Shaft Bushings Reply with quote

I recently removed the clutch TOB operating shaft on my 73 Thing. I ordered a bushing kit because I mangled the old one during remomal. Notice how the shaft had two rubber bushings (or seals) and a plasic bushing.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=195527

The kit I received had only one brass bushing. Note how much thicker the walls are than the original (on the left). Also, it has what looks like an insert. Doesn't seem like this one will fit over the shaft.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=195528

Has anyone had any experience with this? Did I just get the wrong part? I know that sometimes replacement parts can be different from original. For example, maybe this new thicker bushing is designed to replace the rubber and plasic pieces that came off the original.

Any insight appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got the wrong part.
Mike Edwards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think my mistake was ordering the "bushing kit". I was able to find the correct parts by ordering individual part numbers.
113141711A
Clutch Op Shaft Bushing Right

113141707C
Clutch Op Shaft Bushing Left

N012416 1
Lockring 16x1

113141721A
Rubber Bush, Op Shaft
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch TOB Operating Shaft Bushings Reply with quote

I need the brass bushing that was mentioned above. If I remember correctly, it goes inside the plastic bushing with the screw hole? I took it apart about a year ago and I’m not quite sure. I don’t see it in the parts diagram, but it is shown in a listing on thingparts.com for a used set of clutch shaft bushings. Anyone have a number for this? Is it in the diagram and I just don’t see it?

Photo from things parts.com:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch TOB Operating Shaft Bushings Reply with quote

The part you're calling a "brass bushing" is neither brass, nor a bushing. It is aluminum that is gold anodized. It is a sleeve that goes into the trans case, and inside that goes the factory plastic bushing.
Strangely, it is not shown in the exploded view diagram you posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch TOB Operating Shaft Bushings Reply with quote

The thick-walled bushing looks like the one made by Weddle. It replaces the hard plastic bushing that was used originally, that also has the two rubber boots on either end.

According to Weddle it's OK to have the bushing without the seals, but I wish they'd make one with the steps in it for the seals. They are used on the Bus transaxles and late Type 1 units.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: