Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chico Performance Racing (Anibal) - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: steel buggin
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: March 31, 2024
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that you are in Australia so you just have to assume that communications will be slow. There's just no way around it.

Did you tell him that you needed the intake manifolds tapped for a brake booster? I'm sure you have the emails to verify it.

Oh, and if you think i'm defending him because I have a business relationship with him... i've never purchased anything from him. I've installed engines that he built for others that they purchased. And my personal engine was built by another company.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seany
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, I sense a bit of unnecessary hostility. I gathered that you're defending him because you've had good experiences dealing with him. That doesn't rule out the possibility of others not being so satisfied - the two are not mutually exclusive. I'm not really saying I'm completely dissatisfied with my dealings with Chico, especially not overall. As I've made sure to mention, I cannot fully comment on the motor because I haven't driven it yet. I'm just not satisfied with email communication.

For the record I've spoken with Chico this morning and he has been ultra responsive and has helped me with my concerns, so top marks there.

The purpose of this topic (and indeed my post itself) is to share your experiences to inform others. Anyone reading my post would certainly not be deterred from dealing with Chico, particularly given the 30,000 positive posts in this topic, but they may be more aware of the possibility of delay and that it's generally best to call rather than email.

All of that being said, and at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, emails aren't sent by carrier pidgeon Glenn - it doesn't matter what country I'm in, I'll get an email when it is sent and vice versa.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hostility intended... some people are not email people. Personally I like to talk to someone to make sure that everything is understood. With the time difference and the cost of the call, I fully understand that it is not practical in your case. That was my point in noting that you are in Australia.

I have a home based business and like you I like to do most communication via email. It leaves a paper trail, but I have my share of customers that insist on talking on the phone. I do, reluctantly give me personal cell number for those. When I asked one customer, who owns a restoration business, why he insisted on talking to me directly, he explained that his time was valuable and the less time he spends on the computer, the more time he can spend working on customer cars. And that a 5 minute phone call can save him a half dozen emails and 2 days of replying to get the same point across.

Again, no offense to you or your location, i'm just trying to give a vendors view.

And I do agree that if you send a email it should be replied to... in a reasonable amount of time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original order from Sean was for a 1776cc type 1 engine then 2-3 weeks later he calls to tell me his bus takes a type 4 engine so of course it going to take longer then the original order because its a new completely different engine so yes it took a few weeks longer then the normal time and yes most of the time it takes up to 48 hours to return e-mails and yes there was times I didn't receive his e-mails they would go to junk mail which I rarely check. All that said Sean I built you a bad ass 2.0 yes my supplier was out of 2.0 H-beams rods for 3 months they are not as common as a type 1 so if they run out they are out so I built the engine with a set of OEM VW NOS rods I had in stock, the engine is a 95HP build anyway and h-beam are over kill but you did ask for them and I could not get them, but I talked to you on the phone and you where OK with this change I never charged you for them since I only had a 50% deposit for your build on the total. I will say that my mistake on not taping the intake for the power brake. Like I told you it would be worth the wait and last time we talked you where very excited and on good term with us, also the shipping was 100.00 more then I quoted you and I never even thought about it and didn't I even hook you up on the paper work to save you a few hundred dollars on duties. Anyway I know you will be happy and hope you continue to believe you got a kick ass CPR engine. Thanks

Chico
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sean M 2.0 Chico build engine

After you drive it leave your feed-back Very Happy
seany
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chico, thanks for your response. I think my post has come across as being a LOT more negative than I intended. Re-reading it I can see how it has been interpreted like that.

I really don't want to get into a slagging match, there's no need to. It's not fair at all on you and your business and it's of no benefit to me. Especially so where I'm not in a position to comment on the engine yet. But i've gotta say re ordering the wrong engine (because it makes me look bad) that my first email to you was asking for advice as to what is the most suitable engine for my 1975 bus. You said a 1776cc. I thought that was the same as the 1800 Type 4 I had in my bus so I went along with it. At that stage I was completely ignorant and I guess I should've known better but I think we can both share the blame that stuff-up, plus I didn't count time until I paid the deposit for the type 4.

Like you explained to me, your business is expanding so I totally understand that it may take longer to respond to emails, though there were times when some went completely unanswered. I guess it happens, particularly when you're the guy running both the workshop and communications at the same time. I don't blame you, I'm just commenting that it often took longer than expected.

I didn't know the OEM VW NOS rods cost more than the rods included in the package before I went with the upgrade to H-beam. If they did then I appreciate it. The same goes for the shipping being $100 more than quoted, again I didn't know that. If that's true then that's great of you. And you did hook me up on the paper work.

I AM still excited, my engine should hopefully be sorted by weekend and I'm looking forward to taking a long cruise and hopefully coming back here to say it was well worth the wait.
texas58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been doing my homework for sometime now and have decided to go with Chico. We talk for just a few mins today and I was sold. Put down a deposit on a Pro Street Fwy Flyer and next week when I pay up on it I will put down my deposit on the Motor!!! I live in Houston Texas and will be driving to Vegas for the Holidays and with a little luck my Motor will be ready and I will just pick it up and bring her in my 63 for the new Year. Very Happy Until then my Air ride install will keep me busy.
1957 hardtop - Sinister 57 is BACK!!
2013 Jetta - Company car

See my build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558932
seany
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my engine in over the weekend. In terms of performance I can't fault Chico. My motor drives brilliantly and it's got guts. Very happy with the end product. Looks like it's built to last.
texas58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, another year has gone by.... Reply with quote

Tee Dub wrote:
Chico !

Thought I'd stop in and say Hello and Thank You for all you did for me.

Anyone interested in working with this guy to bring about your dream engine should have no fear. First Class all the way !

You can see a Youtube video of my engine on the Dyno here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdcjhZBIBg

If you want to see it installed in my car, here is another link as it was shown at Manassas, VA last year. The Green one, about 1/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=40

2 X Best in Class and Best of Show winner !

Thanks for your contribution Chico !

The orange bug in the photos was mine at one time when I lived in Las Vegas. I sold it to a guy and his son in Cali. That car brings back memories, I was robed at gunpoint while driving it the night before I was delivering it to the new owner.
1957 hardtop - Sinister 57 is BACK!!
2013 Jetta - Company car

See my build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558932
cdadaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Chico 2110 for going on four years now. It still looks like new, no oil drips and most importantly kicks ass. I think it is actually getting stronger! I looked at other possible builders and Chico stood out among the rest including some of the more noted builders.

I was happy with the service and several telephone calls before and during the build. I actually talked to Chico himself. We've had a couple of follow up emails as well.

I just bought a 13 Window Deluxe Split that I am saving up for another 2110 from Chico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westisbest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: TM-20 Reply with quote

I ordered a 2017cc TM-20 engine package (115-120HP) from Chico back in September. Class act. Sure the engine will kick ass. Very excited!!!
dunekahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that Anibal Chico cares about every customer, whether you are spending a few bucks or several thousand. His reputation is well-deserved.

A few months ago, I decided to change out the 009 distributor in my '70 Bug (1600DP w/ 34 Pict3) with a SVDA 034. I called CPR to get a price on one. I spoke with Anibal himself for several minutes, he told me that I wouldn't be disappointed with the SVDA. I paid for the order over the phone. I thought I was going to be near his shop (on business) a week later, so I told him I would just pick it up.

Fast forward a week, it turned out that I was not even close to his shop, so I called him back. I mentioned that I was supposed to pick up my distributor but wouldn't be able to. He remembered me by name. He told me no problem, he would ship it out to me.

I think it was two days later, he called me to apologize, they happened to be out of stock but had more on order and would be receiving them within a few days. He told me he would ship one to me immediately once he had them, or he would refund my money if I preferred. I told him no problem, and thanks for the update.

Less than a week later, my distributor arrived at my house. I looked at the invoice, he didn't even charge me for the shipping!

He gave me first-class service all the way. Rest assured Anibal, when I squirrel away enough for a good performance engine, YOU will get my business! And you were right, it runs like a different engine. I will never go back to a 009!

Friendly, reputable, honest- his business is run with integrity.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally fired up my CPR built 1904 longblock and broke in the cam. Perfect in every way. Here's a video of cranking it over to get the oil flowing. 15 secs before the oil light came on! And another video firing it off. No leaks and it sounds great! I have two of his engines now and they are both superior quality. Thanks Chico!

Link

Link

azenlunatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a set of rebuilt, balanced connecting rods last week, have them sitting in front of me today. Very fast service.

-Rob
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine just runs smoother & quieter the more miles I put on it. Really stoked I went with CPR. Cool
westisbest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Chico engine rocks Reply with quote

Hey Chico, just a quick note to say my engine arrived in the uk and is clearing customs tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your help and especially for the pics you sent me as you were building it, my kids loved watching it all come together and got really excited when a new pic arrived (so did I). And the dyno vid is AWESOME Cool . I'll send you pics when it is in the bus. Peace and Love man.
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chico, i am planning to order soon to you a turnkey TM 1914cc (I live in Italy...), does the engine comes with a list of parts and internals that you use for the build?
I will i actually know what is inside before the building or just after delivered to my door?
What is the order procedure?
Thanks.
Tony

ps. Your engine seems to be the cleanest of all!
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a set of pistons and cyls, very helpful and fast shipping Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An order for a 1914cc engine turnkey was placed on October 28th, 2011 and Chico was very accommodating with my request to use my own carburetors and distributor. He was also very good at providing input on how to design the engine for maximum performance for my driving style. During the building process there were some minor changes to the design and Chico was prompt at pointing out any cost adders to the final price.

I would definitely recommend CPR to anyone that is looking for an engine for their VW.
Bmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on the engine. There was a SNAFU with the fan, which became unbalanced and damaged the alternator, fan, fan housing, and alternator stand. I called Chico, explained the problem and asked about a solution. He was very good at backing his parts and providing replacement parts for the engine.

After installing all the new replacement parts, the engine runs great.

Thanks for all the help Chico.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: