Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing roll cage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MfromM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Thing roll cage Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a full cage kit is avalible for Things? I have a stock four point and might be able to start with that.

Thanks,Matt
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of a kit for the Thing. Obviously there is the five point “show” bar from the Thing Shop but it’s not a rollcage by any means. Do us all a favor and post any info on a cage kit if you find one. Otherwise it looks like a whole lot of 1 ½” .090 HREW or DOM and a bender are your best options.

Maybe you could modify one of those class 11 kits to work. I wonder if the front hoop on that would block the window latches? Good luck and let us know what you find.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dirt track race car builder is the guy you want to locate for a custom roll cage. There are many here in TX, usually one or two man shops that specialize in designing and fabricating small time race cars. Go to a dirt tract race to find this guy. Its the best way to go because you get what you want in addition to an experienced builder of impact resistent, survivable cars. $1000 is a budget number for a custom cage for a Thing.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keep an eye out as there are full cages out there.
nthangs idea is a very good practical alternative to buying used. Stock car builders know how to build a cage that fits in tight spaces, and do it well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThingDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Thing Cage Reply with quote

nthang - you are right on. That is exactly what we did and we are very pleased with the results. Just watch your heads climbing in and out...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=195748
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, Thingdriver, your Thing is in the hunt for "most likely to haul ass and turn heads doing it". Very sweet car. One on the coolest I've seen.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto, that. Very, very, nice Thing.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is one mean looking Thing!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a fabricator create a Thing cage is the only solution. I am in the process of having my Herr K fabed in that fashion. GO to Samba and look for sick thing posted by kubelmann to see what you want as an end solution. K-mann
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go with race car builders for a cage as was suggested. Some of the worst welds I have ever seen have been on racer's roll cages, and I'm talking even the NASCAR nextel cup guys! Not to say that they all are, but the majority of cars racing out there are put together with awful welds. I grew up in the charlotte area so I've seen more than a few race cars. Go to a welding/fabrication shop. There is always at least one in every town. They'll have pipe benders and all that jazz and will know how to work a welder too. If you want an extremely strong cage, tell them to TIG it first, and stick weld on top.
love,
Pinky
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From Pinky's sig: I hate hippies and MIG welders...

Pinky, the hippy part I get, but why do you hate MIG welders?

— Spalding
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess mainly b/c I'm a pretentious TIG and Stick man- but the MIG has serious limitations in my opinion. A drunk monkey can MIG, and although it may look pretty, very few people out there are actually good MIG welders. Even people that have spent years in technical school doing it. Although most people can make a pretty weld with them, it's very hard to make a great weld with them, and you're usually better off going with a TIG or Stick weld. I'm not a good MIG welder. Will it look good? Yeah, just like a roll of coins, but would I trust it for anything structural? No, not really... In my opinion, MIGs are pretty much only good for sheet metal, and here I prefer to TIG or gas weld anyway. MIG welding was developed during the onset of WWII for building American battle ships, and what most people don't know is that they were designed to be used only for forehand welds. This was so workers in the shipyards could start at one end of the boat, go all the way down and come back on the other side. A backhand weld with a MIG is useless on anything but sheetmetal. Another aspect is that you should only weld indoors with one, b/c the gas works to protect the weld from contamination, and is easily blown away in even mild winds. True, there are electric MIGs that use no gas, but these are extremely small, and again, are only good for sheetmetal. Other welding options have the flux coated right on the electrode, and are not as susceptible to contamination as a MIG. In short, why do I hate MIG welding? Because there are always better options. I'll only use a MIG out of the convenience factor. I'm sure there are many people out there who would disagree, but ask the people that really know what they're talking about, and most experienced and certified (is there really such a thing? hehe) welders would agree.
Sorry to come off as pretentious, but you asked...
-Pinky Wink
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your opinion is strongly stated, you don't come off as pretentious. I agree that MIG has limitations, but I think within those limitations MIG is appropriate for the construction of a roll bar. While a drunken monkey can lay down a nice looking bead, a savvy welder, certified or otherwise can do a competent job under the right conditions - i.e. the job is performed indoors so the shield gas can do its job, the weld is hot enough to ensure proper penetration, etc. etc.

I have done lots of MIG work for my job as an effects man building cages into stunt cars, phone pole cannons, pipe ramps, etc. These welds are subjected to extreme punishement and I've never had one let go. Never.

That said, I totally respect the artistry that it takes to lay down competent beautiful welds via TIG or gas. It takes a lot more technique and experience to do so, and frankly I don't have the talent. If you do, you have my respect.

— Spalding
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that nothing beats a TIG for good penetration, strength, etc. (Don’t like sticks because I think they make messy welds, IMHO) But if you’re a competent welder you can still make a strong cage with a MIG. (not the strongest, but strong enough) We built these with a Miller 210 and I have seen them rolled, flipped, endo’d and generally beaten like a rented mule. The .090 DOM has been bent in a few really bad crashes but a weld never broke. Granted a TIG is better but I think a MIG will still get the job done.

Plus I can't afford a TIG right now. Unless you know anyone willing to donate a nice ESAB.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Pinky has been in school learning the correct ways to form, join, temper metal. I'm glad that he steps in here to make the point about mig limitations. My rule of thumb is to preheat the thicker pieces with a torch, anything over 3/16", prior to welding with mig, to get penetration. Its very easy to think that you got a good weld by looking at the finished bead, only to find that when a load is imposed on the weld, you really only had a "fingernail" weld with no penetration. I like the simplicy and speed of mig welding, but my experience tells me to have a torch handy to get "structural" on it when its thicker than sheet metal.

Tig machines worth a shit start at $3,000 (Millermatic Syncrowave 250). The one I want cost about $4,000. At those prices I think that most of us are stuck with learning ways to make mig work for us and it can.

Last edited by nthang on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt about the weld, gusset the crap out of it.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thing roll cage Reply with quote

MfromM wrote:
Does anyone know if a full cage kit is avalible for Things? I have a stock four point and might be able to start with that.

Thanks,Matt

The 4-5 point is the only bar made pre-fab for Things. If you want anything more, either break out the bender and welder, or find a local fab shop to make one up for you. I dont think $1000 is going to do much for you these days with the escalating price of steel.
ThingDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a fabricator to build your cage, make sure you have your top(s) with the car and ensure your guy knows that you fully expect the cage to give you as much inside room as possible, and also it is your expectation when you pick up the car that the top(s) still fit...

Just my $ .02

Get a pro to weld up your cage - goes right along with the $10 helmet/head rule!

Good luck.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although steel prices are going up, they're still not too bad. I bought 20 feet of mild steel square tubing last week from a steel supplier for $30- Buy from a steel supply shop rather than a scrap-yard. Scrap yards are cheap, but unless you really know your stuff with spark tests and all that, you don't know what you're buying. There's a pretty large variety of steel out there and it doesn't all work the same-
ThingDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an overhead shot, for an example.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: