Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road, bus trans?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MfromM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Off road, bus trans? Reply with quote

I'm going to beef up the wifes Thing for alittle more agressive off roading.
I'm thinking of using 29 or 30" tires. Bus trans sound good? If so I might start with a rebuilt KCR. Any thoughts on diffs?

Matt
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the one that's in it. The 181 transaxle will handle the larger tires just fine. The last owner of mine had 31" tires (?) ( I need to check those old tires to be sure about the size) on his for many years, and he drove it daily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MfromM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Are the 181 trans any tuffer or lower geared than type 1?
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check and see if you still have a Thing transmission. When they do crap out people often just slap a Bug transmission in there instead.
MfromM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the original and I have another on the shelf,but thanks that's a good point!
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing trans is geared slightly lower than a Bug trans, but its still a Type 1 trans, no stronger.

If you plan to play rough at all, Id have a few Type 1 trans ready to go. You will be breaking them often.

Change to a bus trans and it will be stronger, and you will break them way less often,,,,,although you will break those too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard, although I can't find where, that a thing trans is more like a bay window bus trans than any other. However, as of late someone tells me they are just type 1 trans. It seems like VW would have used a beefier trans in the 181 do to the fact that they were intended for military and utility use. I guess I'll have to search to get the answers.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW....shoulda, coulda, woulda. The Thing should have also came with a T4 engine due to its weight.

See if you can find the info on Thing trans being like IRS bus trans. Every Thing trans Ive seen is a T1 case with different CV flanges, but I havent seen them all.
You may have seen a post by someone that said he had his 181 trans built with certain 091 parts that are the same in a T1 trans. I have an idea what post you read that lead you down that path.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, I found the thread. However, I did find the info leading me to see that the thing trans is just about the same animal as the T1 trans. I can see why someone would compare a bus trans to the thing, similar gearing, not exact. How close is t1 gearing to the thing?
Cool your jets, thanks for the correction.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: