Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TCD mark from fan notch...which side?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: TCD mark from fan notch...which side? Reply with quote

Okay, I have searched for this subject but cannot really understand the answers to the question I have (if they are there) so I am going to ask it. Sorry if it has been asked 100 times.

I am putting my engine back together after a detailing. My fan does not have a TDC mark, notch, or any other indication of where it should be. I have been told that I can just straight-line up from the notch in the center of the fan and mark it on the outside of the pulley from there. I just can't remember which side of that notch I should measure from to mark it. Anyone know?

Thanks, and speak slowly. I am an idiot.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://type2.com/library/electrip/timemark.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock on.

Thanks man.

mike
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed that thing out and then went out to my garage with it. Upon further inspection, it became clear as mud. I found the little notch in the pulley, and the notch in the hub of the fan, but I will damned if I can figure out how the two relate. He talks about both and their relationship, but then starts talking about taking one of the notches to 3:00 and then sort of just drifts off into the stratosphere. I just hope that the notch in my fan is correct.

Anyone read that link and understood it? For the record, I had two other people in the garage at the time and neither one of them understood it either.

thanks.
cree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear as a bell to me. Find the notch at the center of the pully. Looking at the pully, find the right edge or clockwise edge of the wide notch. Get a straight edge and make a line through the center of the pully outward and then hit the right edge of the wide notch or clockwise edge and continue the line till it hits the outside of the pully. Mark that spot on the outside edge of the pully. Now that is the timing mark but it is not exact because of the straight edge being off a little or the person lineing things up or other slight erors. It is almost exact but not perfect. The true timeing mark is on the front edge of the pully (against the engine side or in side edge of the pully ) and useing the line that you have made find the factory notch with your fingernail or a pen knife blade. Scratch around awhile on the backside of the pully near where the line would hit and you should find the factory notch or timing notch. It is small and that is why you use a knife blade or a fingernail. Now to confuise things a bit. Sometimes the pully has no factory notch. In that case use the line to mark the aproximate spot where the timeing mark should be and put a spot of paint there so when your timeing light goes off you can see the spot. Hope this helps. Cree 79 Bay
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the nut/bolt in the lower picture holding the pulley to the fan? It's the only one shown and it's inline with notch in center of the pulley.

What those instructions need is a measurement from the end of the bolt to the notch CW. First find that bolt, then measure:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The earlier fan dosen't have the notch. I'm thinking I should take a photo and devise a measurement scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is it there Mike!

I found that notch with my fingernail but didn't have my bus with me so I could not confirm that was in the correct place. I feared that the PO had done something bad.

This 78 GE code engine was in kind of tough shape when he got it. Gobs of RTV sealant everywhere and enough acorns and crud in there to make it run wicked hot. A 009 to boot!

We are looking good now though. A good 205S dizzy, new seals everywhere, nice sandblasted and repainted tinwork. It is going in his 75 Westybus until his 78 gets repainted. The 75 Westybus had a 80 vanagon engine in it that was just "made to fit". Fair amount of missing parts to boot.

A couple of questions:

He has pretty new 72-74 heater boxes on this and we are trying to figure out how to get blower air to the heater boxes for some real Maine heat. I just don't know how to get some blow in there. The left box gets its air directly under the oil cooler but there is not good way to get it through the tinwork to get it there. I have been over to the bus boys website looking for something that will work but haven't been able to find what I think is a metal piece that turns 90* after it leaves the box and connects to the blower by means of the usual hose. I can't remember if that is a retangular or round heater box hole. Some thoughts out there? If you refer to the bus boys site with a letter, I will know what you think we should be looking for. VDub tech over in NY has been helping us with the tin and might have something to help if we can figure out what we are looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks Cree, Ratwell. I was just overthinking it. The factory notch is in fact there, but I thought it would correlate directly to the straight line drawn from the right hand side of the hub notch, which it did not, so I was quite confused (go ahead, say it, "doesn't take much!"). But then the more I looked at the notch on the front pulley, the more I realized that it had to be original. It's just that if I drew a line from the notch in the hub, the timing notch would still be to the right of where the line would be, so I couldn't accept that this was in fact correct. All set now.

Thanks again for all your help.
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
That is it there Mike!

I found that notch with my fingernail but didn't have my bus with me so I could not confirm that was in the correct place. I feared that the PO had done something bad.

This 78 GE code engine was in kind of tough shape when he got it. Gobs of RTV sealant everywhere and enough acorns and crud in there to make it run wicked hot. A 009 to boot!

We are looking good now though. A good 205S dizzy, new seals everywhere, nice sandblasted and repainted tinwork. It is going in his 75 Westybus until his 78 gets repainted. The 75 Westybus had a 80 vanagon engine in it that was just "made to fit". Fair amount of missing parts to boot.

A couple of questions:

He has pretty new 72-74 heater boxes on this and we are trying to figure out how to get blower air to the heater boxes for some real Maine heat. I just don't know how to get some blow in there. The left box gets its air directly under the oil cooler but there is not good way to get it through the tinwork to get it there. I have been over to the bus boys website looking for something that will work but haven't been able to find what I think is a metal piece that turns 90* after it leaves the box and connects to the blower by means of the usual hose. I can't remember if that is a retangular or round heater box hole. Some thoughts out there? If you refer to the bus boys site with a letter, I will know what you think we should be looking for. VDub tech over in NY has been helping us with the tin and might have something to help if we can figure out what we are looking for.

The heater box hole under the oil cooler is oblong. And like Randy said, it is jammed way in and under, and then the engine tin has a round hole in it, which would lead one to believe that there is either some kind of cap that went on the heater box to accomodate the heater hose, or that there was an oblong-ended hose that came out of there. I know I have had several people suggest that I get '72-74 tin and that would solve my problem. That is exactly what I did, and it is the same as the tin that was originally on my engine.

I am beginning to think some fabricating may be in my future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: