Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy In the Bodyshop-Updates
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Westy In the Bodyshop-Updates Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

used to be a nice hole beneath the taillight and no battery tray, new metal for both now Very Happy

this has been keepin em busy at the shop, still some low spots and sandblasting to come

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

velokid1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought, "how expensive?" My 2nd, "how cool!" You've gotta be almost peeing your pants at this point. That's going to be amazing to see. Keep the updates coming!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velokid1 wrote:
My first thought, "how expensive?" My 2nd, "how cool!" You've gotta be almost peeing your pants at this point. That's going to be amazing to see. Keep the updates coming!

how expensive? that won't be known until the job is done. i do know i just placed a $600. parts order and thats just for pieces to put it back together. not to mention all the new window seals i ordered a few weeks ago. it's cool to be seeing it come together. i'm finally seeing progress in the shop. i'll keep you updated.

79 westy
78 westy

pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79 westy
78 westy

keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
Very Happy Cool
Having done many jobs like this on VW's and other marque's I can attest to how much labor/hard work it is if you want it ... well I won't say perfect, but "as nice as can be" with longevity under the paint IE good work, prep, materials etc.

What brand/kind of materials is this place using? Looks like it's close to the stage I shoot epoxy primer over.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Isn't it exciting to visit it at the bodyshop?

Mine had to go completely down to metal. Follow my own development thru the other webpages linked at the top:

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/78_Westy/PhotoAlbum53.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
Looking good. Isn't it exciting to visit it at the bodyshop?

Mine had to go completely down to metal. Follow my own development thru the other webpages linked at the top:

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/78_Westy/PhotoAlbum53.html

Richard, your website has been a constant guide for me throughout this bodywork process ie: ordered all of my window seals from BD, sending the windshield seal and louvered window seals back. ordered windshield seal from oevdub, louvered from WCM. every time i've had to order another piece i've checked your site to see what kind od luck you've had with it. i just layed out another small fortune from gowesty and BD last night and today. new canvas ordered from gowesty, pop top seals from BD etc.......i'm not sure i'm convinced ordering the louvered window seals was neccassary as the area benath those windows were in the best shape of all, virtually no rust other than the screw holes. what's your take on it? i figure i'm doing everything else, might as well buy those also. i won't be able to visit the bus for a few more days. killing me to not witness the work in progress Wink

Quote:
Looking good!

Having done many jobs like this on VW's and other marque's I can attest to how much labor/hard work it is if you want it ... well I won't say perfect, but "as nice as can be" with longevity under the paint IE good work, prep, materials etc.

What brand/kind of materials is this place using? Looks like it's close to the stage I shoot epoxy primer over.

Keifer,
i'm not sure what kind of primer is being sprayed but i think i've decided to go with Limco 3 for a single stage job. i've heard good things about it and won't being helping fund a nascar endorsement. have you ever used the stuff or have any suggestions?

dave

79 westy
78 westy

thenexttownshend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good. Your bus will be the envy of all the other deadheads at a show. Cool

-1973 Bus Type II
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Are you painting the inside also?

Color me "curious".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Dave,

Are you painting the inside also?

Color me "curious".

actually no Randy. i had considered it but decided against it. i did however remove the entire interior less front seats to have another go at it. i plan on waxing the paint on the inside(anal?) anyway, at this stage, it should take at least a month to reassemble(new canvas,clean up interior,redo front seats ect) the bus when it comes home from the shop Very Happy

79 westy
78 westy

Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you posted the pics. The weather's FINALLY improving here in New York and your pics might be just the incentive I need to get out there and start doing body work. Well, no right away, FIRST I'm going to Florida. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pawesty wrote:

i plan on waxing the paint on the inside(anal?) anyway,

There is nothing "anal" about rubbing out and waxing all interior paint, and that includes the fresh air plenum and heater pipe as well as all door frames and windshield surround. You're lucky you don't have a lot of dots on your headliner, then we can talk about a . . . . thorough Very Happy
Colin
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

Seems I remember us discussing paint products another time and I told you that I prefer to spray single stage acrylic enamel with a urethane hardner additive for high gloss shine but durability without need to clear coat. ( you said you preferred single stage too if I recall correctly)

I prefer PPG Delstar topcoat with the DXR 80 urethane additive. But have used Centarui, and Sherwin Williams equivallent products too as well as PPG's cheaper 'OMNI' line with good results. T

he OMNI does not hold out as many years unless your baby is garage kept. Delstar is tough stuff though. The few pics I have posted of a couple cars in my gallery ( yellow vert for one) are PPG Delstar.

There are as many different opinions on paint and product lines as there are on oil! Wink It's a matter of what the painter likes to spray and the results he has had and can stand behind that counts.

I also have had great results from the PPG DP series epoxy primer and even the OMNI equivallent which is cheaper.

If you have seen the results the shop is getting with what they use ( I wonder if you can see some cars they sprayed that have a year or so on them since they were done) and are comfortable with them, then by all means let them do their thing, that's what your paying them for right! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop tom
Samba Member

Looking good. I saw some progress today as well on my '76.
I asked the body shop manager the process that takes place and he said 1) Variprime etch, 2) Uroprime 3) sealer 4) base coat clear, and 5) clear coat. All DuPont products. OEM sage green like you.

mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I'm hoping to run my bus through the same process next winter. Assuming you like the results, if you don't mind, PM me the contact info for the body shop/painter. I'd be willing to have the work done a few hours away for the right person/shop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velokid1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Call me impatient but... How's it coming? Any new photos?

Really interested in the final cost/ hours billed.

Greg
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velokid1 wrote:
Dave,

Call me impatient but... How's it coming? Any new photos?

Really interested in the final cost/ hours billed.

Greg

Greg,
just stopped to visit the bus yesterday but didn't take any pics. the sandblasting is complete,welding is complete,more sanding to come. per my friend doing the job, she's nearly ready for primer, than more sanding. than paint. in the meantime, my jalousies are torn apart being cleaned while i fumble and cut my fingers attempting to reassemble them,a $450. BD order came today, Wolfsburg West package yesterday, basically loads of new parts sitting and waiting for me to reassemble the bus which i estimate will take me a month. i will update you guys again soon!

dave

79 westy
78 westy

jereandjess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, looks great, can't wait to see it all back together! Did they weld the battery tray in with the engine in? I thought I had read that it had to come out? Just curious.

You say that your friend is doing it, does that mean you are getting a bit of a deal on labor? Just curious as to the final cost, not having a friend at a body shop, yet! I would be interested in both prices if you are getting a bit of a deal, what you paid, and what the regular charge for full labor.

Of course I am assuming that you are not paying full.

Keep the pics coming! Thanks for sharing.

~Jeremy
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jereandjess wrote:
Hi Dave, looks great, can't wait to see it all back together! Did they weld the battery tray in with the engine in? I thought I had read that it had to come out? Just curious.

You say that your friend is doing it, does that mean you are getting a bit of a deal on labor? Just curious as to the final cost, not having a friend at a body shop, yet! I would be interested in both prices if you are getting a bit of a deal, what you paid, and what the regular charge for full labor.

Of course I am assuming that you are not paying full.

Keep the pics coming! Thanks for sharing.

~Jeremy

battery tray was welded in with the engine in place. no issues there. i am getting a great deal on the cost of labor and materials. i've been friends with the body man for around 15 years and we made numerous cross country trips in his old blue westy. needless to say, i'm gettin hooked up. thus far i've given him $1500. down at my insistance. he estimates the balance to be under $300. a real deal for someone who owns and has done other acvw's and has 20+ years experience under his belt. the only new metal in ordered was the battery tray and mike has fabricated new metal for places that's unbeleivable. matt, i acn ask mike his normal rates and pm you if you're still interested. i know they are far more than what i'm paying. the bus is in it's 4th week at the shop and just about ready for primer now. and i had a pretty solid bus. more updates to come!

dave

79 westy
78 westy

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<------Jealous!!!

Sounds like a killer deal! Congrats!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: