Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Any opinions or comments would be appreciated before I go out and shop for a new battery. The car had a Sears Die Hard that according to the paperwork I have is about 7 1/2 years old. I suppose I couldn't expect any more than that.

Thanks,
Dennis
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly couldn't ! According to AAA, Average battery life where I am near Chicago is 4.3 years. I'd opt for another Die Hard if you had that good luck !
Generally if the car is all stock a small amperage battery like a 325cca is all you need and last longer as there is more space between the plates.

Now a hint for the frugal few. Find an Interstate Battery distributor near you. They only allow batteries on the shelf at their retailers for 9 months, then they are pulled back and eventually recycled. What happens to them when they come back ? They are sold to you & I as "Blems" for $20.00 w/o warranty. They make many brand names including Die Hard.
I got a $95.00 Die Hard Gold in January for $20.00

I've been running their blems in all my VWs for the past 15 years and never had a premature failure. They don't always have all sizes in a blem so I usually keep an extra here on a monthly charger. I have 12 old VWs here as well as customers so a spare battery usually gets used up pretty quiclky.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interstate group 45 or get a Optima Red Top.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Glenn, to revisit this topic which is your choice for a Stroker in a Super running a 17-X Bosch Starter?

You said in the post above a RedTop.. Are you referring to an Optima? IF so, I do not see one that works for a Super/Bug when browsing there site. But, could be terminal arrangement or what ever.. But are you referring to an Optima here?

And if you can nail it down with what model it is, I would like the info to look it up?

Thanks for ya'lls time.. RB
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Perhaps this thread on optima batteries will be of help:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...le#4821377

Long story, short:
There isn't an Optima made for the beetle (no group 42)...but there are optimas that are a size that can be used (similar to size as group 42).

Optima Red top is 'regular' starter battery
Optima Yellow top is 'deep cycle'

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/battery-basics/redtop-vs-yellowtop-vs-bluetop-battery
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

I’m on the seventh year of my Autozone Duralast group 42. When it finally tests below 12.6, I’ll just get an Interstate Group 42. They fit and are held down properly. Why rock the boat?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Deka 642MF
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

I was a big believer in the optima red top.

Then when I was driving across the state I needed a battery for an Autostick I bought. I went to Walmart and it was something around $30 or $50. It's lasted years. I could buy 3 or 4 of those for the same price I paid for the red top.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Costco! I get the written full life out of them and then return them. Costco pro rates and I get handed a new battery for almost half the cost. All the personal and business auto batteries come from them. I have not paid full price for a battery n years.

Before Costco, I was buying Interstate at m old shop, but those were still above what I pay at Costco.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7542?vehicleAddPDP=true

Die Hard no longer makes a group 42 battery.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

I have Optimas in a couple cars. but my default at the shop is a Carquest silver type 42.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I’m on the seventh year of my Autozone Duralast group 42. When it finally tests below 12.6, I’ll just get an Interstate Group 42. They fit and are held down properly. Why rock the boat?
Tim

That's good life for a battery in the heat. Here in Arizona batteries typically live 2.5 to 3 years.

I use Autozone Group 42 myself, and like 85% of US batteries are made by one company, Johnson Controls. Costco is a few dollars less but doesn't have that many sizes, like no #42.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

+1 Costco.
Hadn't driven my bug for a year (slowest engine rebuild ever..) and forgot about the battery. Dead, wouldn't charge above 4V or so.
It was less than 3.5 years old so Costco replaced it, no questions asked.
I did tell them I left it in a dead car for a year and the guy just shrugged and said it was fine.

The Costco battery I'm using is the Group 96R, no idea if it fits under the stock hold down as mine is long gone, but it fits under the rear seat just fine and has a positive terminal cover.
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Odyssey PC1200MJT. Good and fits, but pricey...
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Costco! I get the written full life out of them and then return them. Costco pro rates and I get handed a new battery for almost half the cost.

I had to check into this. My F150 was in need a new battery. Was considering an Optima Yellow but the Interstate AGM battery was almost half the price at Costco! I asked the woman behind the counter what the warranty process was, she said, "We have a no questions asked return policy. Bring it back within the warranty period and we will fully refund the amount paid or you can apply it towards a new battery." That's sort of crazy! It means a new battery down the road will be just the difference in cost due to inflation of the battery price.

I didn't check if they had any Group 42 batteries, but they had Group 47/H5 batteries which are nearly the same length and width and only 3/4" taller. Since it comes w/ a cover over the positive post it should be a good fit.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Interstate does make Group 42 batteries. However, last time I was at Costco our local Costco did not stock that size.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-42
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-96r
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-47/h5

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They're all very close in size.
96R and 47/H5 even have recessed terminals, which is a bonus on our cars (96R includes a cover as well).

ashman, for my 3y/o battery Costco did a straight swap, zero charge. They didn't even test it...

randayn, if you're only getting 3 years check out Costco batteries :P
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

Change batteries every 3 years? As long as you don't let them drain too low, I typically get close to 10 years or more out of most of them. Was only getting a couple years out of our dune buggy battery before I started using a decent battery tender on it. Hell, my 94 Ranger (bought new) has had the battery replaced once (just basic conventional battery). The Optima in my 65 is 12 years old and the newest Optima in any of the other VWs is 8 years old.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

3 year is good battery life here in Arizona heat.

Whatever battery you use (any vehicle), make sure that it is firmly secured to the body.
robp1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good battery to buy for a '71 bug? Reply with quote

I installed a group 42 in our 73 super from advanced auto and the hold down does not reach the lip of the battery. I'm going to make a block to make up the space but I will avoid this brand in the future. I find it a bit crazy how big the differences in the same group size can be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: