Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what year bus do you drive? take a quick vote
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What year bus do you drive?
3%
 3%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
8%
 8%  [ 30 ]
20%
 20%  [ 69 ]
7%
 7%  [ 25 ]
5%
 5%  [ 20 ]
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
6%
 6%  [ 22 ]
8%
 8%  [ 30 ]
15%
 15%  [ 52 ]
7%
 7%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 343

MR Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68 ASI Riviera Camper...but mine was actually born a Van before it was converted to a Camper, does mine still count (or should I switch forums now)? Rolling Eyes
inch pincher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71 ALL THE WAY
69westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Westfalia
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR Bill wrote:
68 ASI Riviera Camper...but mine was actually born a Van before it was converted to a Camper, does mine still count (or should I switch forums now)? Rolling Eyes

No way. Doesn't matter. Passenger, camper, commercial, its all good here! Go 68! Very Happy We're leaving 75 at the bottom by themselves! Twisted Evil
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 25 of the '73-'74 buses. Very fine motor vehicles. I want to visit each one of them.
Let's get the dual carbs set up NICE. (LY)
Colin
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet 78 is up there just because of age...

I was surprised there aren't more 72-74's in there.

Colin, you'll get to visit mine this summer. Hopefully have my freshly rebuilt carbs by then too. (Your deposit will come by the end of the week. Very Happy )
Volksfolk74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'75s oh yeah! Since there are so few we should be so proud of our "Rare" and lovely rides. How 'bout colors!!!???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schmooey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I apply the Splitty crowd's "Rare is Kewl Even if it Doesn't Run" theory to my 71, it's the anti-kewl! Laughing
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
There are only 25 of the '73-'74 buses. Very fine motor vehicles. I want to visit each one of them.
Let's get the dual carbs set up NICE. (LY)
Colin

Colin, you can visit us if you come through the Portland Metro area, Emily is a '74 (built 11/73) Very Happy

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even taking the production numbers into account (thanks Ratwell), I again think it's interesting there are so many 71s. I've owned 3 bays total and all where 71s - the first one was chance but the 2nd I specically wanted a 71 and then I happened upon a great 71 parts bus.

I think the only bay window year I would dread owning is a 72, no rear engine access hatch and they didn't have the extra body structure making it a tad safer...har har har.

But man I love the type 1 dual port and disc brakes STOCK.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
david a.
Samba Artist/Designer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Of some interest i quess... Reply with quote

Ran the %s for the production years versus the forum results thus far. Not sure what it means, but hey take a look anyway.

Year______POLL %s_________Production # %s
1968______4%______________9%
1969______8%______________10%
1970______8%______________11%
1971______19%______________11%
1972______5%______________11%
1973______8%______________10%
1974______6%______________7%
1975______2%______________7%
1976______7%______________7%
1977______8%______________7%
1978______13%______________6%
1979 8% 3%
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dickcharlton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I think the only bay window year I would dread owning is a 72, no rear engine access hatch and they didn't have the extra body structure making it a tad safer...har har har.

It's a pain in the butt but you definitely make do. I hear some people cut a hatch out. I haven't yet. the rear shift linkage is weird too.
The good points are you get old front signals with old bumpers but a type 4.
ChuxBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One might assume the spikes at 71 & 78 to be a result of knowledgeable busheads (the types that would be reading this board in the first place) seeking out specific years. When I was looking for my second bus, I was looking for a 71 or 78. I got the 78 for the combination of FI, hydraulic lifters, sliding side windows, and HTF exhaust components Wink
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the best of each.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a bus *driving* connoisseur, I find the '68-'70 buses to be the best stomp-n-go city buses. The rigid engine/transaxle mountings let you get on it with elan. These cars will take a New York City rush hour pounding without a care. These cars are the quality jewels of the Bay run.
The '72s (and desmogged '73-'74s) are the Porsche driving style buses. They love high rpm driving but require much more in the way of finesse with shifting because the engine/transaxle mounts will get involved with spastic driving technique. The '72-'74 has the fastest factory blessed cruising speed of 78 mph even though its acceleration is slower than the later buses. With their excellent brakes, you can drive the hell out of these cars on cross-country banzais through the Rockies and across the plains. Not as fun in the city though. The lapses in quality don't yet interfere with the reputation.
I think the '75 bus is probably my favorite out-on-the-road driver. The quality is still skidding downhill, but an injected 1800 with a 4,800 rpm horsepower peak and the driveability of FI with the 4.86 transaxle is good stuff for getting on it.
The later buses are good for the mature driver. They are more civilized, fuss-free, and devoid. . . Shocked of that unmistakeable quality for the sake of quality. The shared parts bin approach (they did what they had to do) was sad to watch, but the driving manners are lovely.
If I had to go get a bus today, assuming I get to keep my '73, I would get a '68. If it pulled a stud and dropped a valve on the way home, I would get a 78 with a sunroof.
Colin
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic... could you further explain the quality issues?

You've tickeled my cheap bone! Laughing
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously it's subjective, but what would lead someone to pick a '78 over a '79?
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
obviously it's subjective, but what would lead someone to pick a '78 over a '79?

The 79 is an 1.6 or 1.9 inches wider in the body... Question
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm The 71 seems to be the most popular. I always assumed the 5 lug bays were more popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocknrod wrote:
Amskeptic... could you further explain the quality issues?

You've tickeled my cheap bone! Laughing

Over time they got rid of chrome trim, real metal window surrounds, the gas door, pretty interior colors, took out huge quanties of rugged seat padding and upholstery in 1974, plastic parts invaded the engine room, even things like the front shift rod bushing were switched in 1974 to this cheesy skinny plastic donut over a hollow tube, ewwww grosss! sorry Ratwell, but its true, ventilation controls got sleazy plasticky, the paint used to be 4 coats of baked enamel that went everywhere then it was barely sprayed on in the later years, and yes, they had their reasons but that doesn't change the result, the sliding door was a beautiful mechanism until they changed it in '74 to get that Ford trash can lid feel.
This is not to disparage a fine automobile, they had to do what they had to do. . . .
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: