Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what year bus do you drive? take a quick vote
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What year bus do you drive?
3%
 3%  [ 13 ]
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
8%
 8%  [ 30 ]
20%
 20%  [ 69 ]
7%
 7%  [ 25 ]
5%
 5%  [ 20 ]
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
6%
 6%  [ 22 ]
8%
 8%  [ 30 ]
15%
 15%  [ 52 ]
7%
 7%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 343

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
If I had to go get a bus today, assuming I get to keep my '73, I would get a '68. If it pulled a stud and dropped a valve on the way home, I would get a 78 with a sunroof.
Colin

If I had my choice based on my personal fun factor, I would pick up a late splitty standard. They have the "legendary" look and I get a Type 1 engine to play with. That would be my thrash around town bus.

My 73 would be my vacation vehicle (with occasional daily drives to keep him happy.)

Factoring in my family, I'd love to get a later bay with an automatic. Team Spatula has one for sale in NC for $1400 and I tried to talk the wife into it since it would be for her (lupus means no shifting). What she said isn't printable. Wink
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know... I've been contemplating the auto... but I just cant see "Complicating" things... Shocked

I gotta thank you guys for putting up with me... I feel like such a moron when it comes to asking some of the questions I have. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

If I had to go get a bus today, assuming I get to keep my '73, I would get a '68. If it pulled a stud and dropped a valve on the way home, I would get a 78 with a sunroof.
Colin

When you come to Indiana, there will be a panama brown/ dakota beige '78 sunroof bus eager to have you behind the driver's seat to show me the phenomenon of double-penetration...I mean double clutch... Razz
fabmonkey72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my 71 last month. My first BUS and couldn't be happier. Most of the folks in the local VW club (Albuquerque) all have 71's too.
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote "If I had to go get a bus today, assuming I get to keep my '73, I would get a '68. If it pulled a stud and dropped a valve on the way home, I would get a 78 with a sunroof. "
Man, you surprise me every time, I really had you pegged for a late bay guy. A 68' no less!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did qualify it with "if I get to keep my '73. . ." Very Happy
I have had some excellent times in a '68 dualcab waaaay overloaded with old Packard parts on the way to the Hershey Auto Show. I loved that old reliable bus which must have winced (if it could wince) every time the driver's door opened. Poor thing, driven across the country NONSTOP overloaded driven by maniacs who think the redline is merely a suggestion to think about shifting at some point. I got to drive it for three years in Los Angeles as the parts runner for my uncle's restoration shop, LA freeways with huge V16 cast iron engines roped down in the back and long swoopy fenders sticking out of it, and those hot drum brakes while traffic was accordioning. Who needs a bow-flex?
Colin
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bus hauling Packard parts, that's about as road-warrior-antiquely-weird-post-apocolypse-double-anchronistic (sp?) as a feller can get!
Ya know, I'd never admit it, but I could use a bit more power climbing mountain grades....and drums alla round sometimes means I'm pushing my luck. All and all, a 69' can get more places than a passenger car.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, my dad's a packard guy, '30 roadster. goes to hershey every year.

nice one.
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabmonkey- 71 passenger busses rule- I got one too. I like the wide five early busses but the 71 is the best compromise between looks and daily useability.
Duroc, with you on the late splits, drove a great 67 panel and a crewcab with 2.1 stroker on twin 45's which developed about 190bhp- apart from the stupidly low suspension that was nearly my ultimate bus, went like stink but a pig in traffic thanks to race clutch and fk89 racing cam! Went for well under what it was worth and the new owner gort conned out of the engine just after he bought it, having refused my offer of $1600 he swapped it for a stock 1600tp!
I love bay crewcabs, there was one down the road from me when I was a kid, guy cracked the case on it and it just sat in his garden. Its been there at least 10 years now and is almost totally rusated out now. I didn't have the knowledge to build an engine for it then, which was a bummer as he only wantred $500 for it and the drop sides were really clean.
Rust Collector.
California Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Westy here!! Bought it because I got a good deal on this Pearl White low mile rust free always in the desert Bus. I've always been a bug guy so I was really unaware of the differences in busses before I came to thesamba.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hambone wrote:

I'd never admit it, but I could use a bit more power climbing mountain grades.....

I know you didn't admit anything so like *typical* as like you "need" more what? like "power" to what, like blow off that rice rocket? NOT!
What you need is TIME. . . TIME! Time to smell the flowers and look at the pretty trees, your VW is TRYING to help you get zentered, man. That bus will crawl up the side of a wall if you give it time, man, dig it. You and that mountain, man, are supposed to spend the morning together Cool
Colin
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I totally agree. At first arrival at the woods, I'm all twitchy, sped up from the city and the long haul. It takes a while for the internal smoke ta settle, and get centered in the miracles of Ma Nature's hands.
Lemme tell ya tho, there's this crazy road (US 97) that climbs outa the Columbia Gorge, heading South thru sagebrush and grass. The wild wind HOWLS, so much so that the area is called "the windsufing capital of the us" whatever that means...and there's a HELL of a grade, and it's very remote. I've actually had it down to 2nd, wind blowing me all over the road. I think "am I crazy bringing this thing out here???" Feels like you left the planet. But most times, it's just pppfffffffffft 3rd gear crossing mountain passes, "ooooh lookit!" etc. for a good 1/2 hour. Believe me, I'm in no hurry, I bike everywhere in town, travel by AC VW elsewhere. My wife drives a Vanagon, and sometimes I take it out in the boonies. You just get spoiled climbing a hill in 4th, zip-zip. Of course, you pay, as the gas milage is terrible. I'd much rather be white knuckled in the 69', you really feel like you accomplished something after a long journey. Sucker just keeps goin' too. Plus there's a whole nother tactility (?) to driving such a "primitive" vehicle, power streering, brakes, wind up dolphins BAH gimme cable brakes! Crank start!
I read once about this guy that drove a Model A Ford cross country, now that takes some gumption!
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought it'd be a ball to try a tin lizzy... they've made it this long, albiet not as daily transportation...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chopped50ford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 71 Deluxe...wanting to trade for westy or hard lid camper.
1966 Kombi - SOLD
2wingsonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a crew truck (bought 3 days ago) and I voted because they are so simular at less half of it is. OK maybe it should only count as half a vote.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put in for my 71 which I drive although Ive got a 68 right now too. I don't think everyone has voted on this yet that will, at current there are about 80 to 110 Type 1's to Type 4's but since there are also only 4yrs of the early years to the 8 yrs of the later bays.

Im gonna bet if we give this more time the years will be pretty even with a few years being the favorites like 71 and 78.

All in all its awesome there are nearly 200 bay people out their no matter the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of this thread I found by accident. Vote up!
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just voted...
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is damn near six years old....

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coal64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought there were more 72's in the world, of the 2 bus's I know of in town they are both 72.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: