Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat / Steering Wheel Ergonomics
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Seat / Steering Wheel Ergonomics Reply with quote

My recently acquired Thing has Corbeau seats and a smaller aftermarket steering wheel. While the seats look okay, it bothers me that they are not stock, or even VW. Mostly though, the problem is they are very low, and getting out of the car feels like climbing out of a hole. They've got to go, and I hope to replace them with originals. I'm also considering the '72 Beetle seats as well, mainly because of the added safety of a headrest.
Any thoughts on this?

Then there is the steering wheel. I have noticed in many photos I've seen on the internet that lots of Thing owners have opted for smaller steering wheels. Is there a reason for this? Is there an issue with leg clearance under the stock wheel with stock seats? I'd hate to go to the trouble of tracking down and installing a stock steering wheel only to discover that the guys who are putting in the smaller diameter wheels are doing so with good reason. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

— Spalding
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who are used to newer cars often don't like the Thing's setup. the giant steering wheel does get pretty close to the seat, and it takes some getting used to when getting in and out of the Thing. Still, I'm 6' 220 lbs, and have gotten used to it. I prefer the stock wheel and like the look and feel of it- but it's all a matter of taste. It's actually pretty similar to a Bug (alot of people get smaller steering wheels for those, too), so if you don't have access to another stock Thing, try sitting in a stock Bug and see if you can deal with the seat/steering wheel arrangement.
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a smaller wheel in my Thing, a week later I changed it back to stock. The smaller wheels make the car twichy IMO. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs and don't have a problem with stock seats and wheel.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the big wheel- a smaller wheel means more effort to steer, and does make it feel twitchier.
Replace the seats, and see how you fit with the current wheel. You may find, especially if you are a big guy, that the smaller wheel makes getting in and out easier. you can always change the wheel later.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seat / Steering Wheel Ergonomics Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely change the seats first and go from there.

Any thoughts on the issue of stock seats vs. Beetle seats?
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez - seems to be lots of bigger guys driving things out there. Remind me not to cut you off, so I can keep my 5'10", 160lb ass in one piece!

Seriously, though, I'm an average size guy, and I find the clearance between the stock wheel, and stock seats to be a little on the tight side. It's only mildly noticable when getting in or out of the car, and being a "stock purist" I wouldn't want to change it. Another advantage of a big wheel, of course, is better control over rough surfaces - which may or may not have played a role in VW's decision to go with it in what was essentially an all-terrain design.

As for seats, I've had both the superbeetle highbacks in there, as well as the stock lowbacks. Personally, I can't say that I honestly prefer one over the other - I mean, they're both fine, and they each have their advantages and disadvantages. Highbacks may help prevent whiplash (or worse) in a rear-end collision, and they'll give you a little more back support. Low backs will give you that stock look, and take up a little less space in your car. I personally find it a little easier to back up with lowbacks, since I usually twist my whole body around and look back, and I can grab on to the passenger seat & not have my own seat back in the way. That's just me, though.

In terms of seat-to-steering wheel clearance, lowbacks and highbacks will be exactly the same. VW used the same frames for the lower portions of both seats - the backs are the only real difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I noticed getting in and out of my Thing is due to my bad knees. The stock steering wheel and seats don't seem to be a problem. And for the record I'm 5'11" 235.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat / Steering Wheel Ergonomics Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. Today I procured a set of original Thing seats, and an inexpensive 14" steering wheel. Much better than the 12 incher that is in there now. Shocked If I love it, eventually I'll replace it with a better one.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going through the same thing a few years back- I wanted stock seats but they get pricey, so a buddy of mine gave me an original thing seat that had a rusted out bottom frame, and a 72 bug seat so that I could put the top of the thing seat onto the bottom of the bug seat since the tracks are the same. At least I would have one good thing seat. I ended up tearing both down and found that there is very little difference between the two. The main difference is the head rest insert on the bug seat, which can be easily taken off with a sawz-all, hacksaw, or torch. There were some extremely minor spring differences which could be easily covered and unnoticable by seat-covers, and the bug seats could be flipped forward for rear seat access. This aspect could be easily disengaged with a little work. For those out there that want original looking thing seats but can't find em, cut up some 70-72 (correct?) bug seats- worked for me...
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've got me worried.

The seats pictured below were sold to me as Thing seats. Check out the the inset photo. Does that mechanism belong on a thing seat, or is this a cut-down Bug seat as you described?

Thanks for your help.

— Spalding

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na, don't be worried, those are thing seats Very Happy - the seat conversion I was talking about would leave the seat-pulls higher up on the side of the seat back, a-la-bug. Those guys let the seat recline a little, not flip up. Sorry, I don't have pictures of the conversion. I could take pics now, but it looks just like a thing seat...
love,
Pinky
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky wrote:
Na, don't be worried, those are thing seats Very Happy - the seat conversion I was talking about would leave the seat-pulls higher up on the side of the seat back, a-la-bug. Those guys let the seat recline a little, not flip up. Sorry, I don't have pictures of the conversion. I could take pics now, but it looks just like a thing seat...
love,
Pinky

Thanks, that's a load off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: