Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tranny slips out of reverse
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mytype181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Tranny slips out of reverse Reply with quote

Hello,

Can I get some advise on the tranny reverse? When puting it in reverse it jumps out when I let off hte clutch just a little. All other gears are fine w/o any problems.

The previous owner did change out the shifter to an aftermarket one......could this have caused it to slip out of reverse f it was not installed correctly? Is it any easy fix, as far as replacing the original back in there might this solve the problem?

I hope that I have provideed enought details as to the problem to get some positive (fix) replies back.

Original tranny and engine (AMcase). Both rebuilt about 10k miles ago, there was no problems w/the reverse untill the aftermarket shifter was put in (this is what I was told)

Regards,
B.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reverse gear in a Type I transmission is notoriously week. I doubt its your shifter unless it just slips a little but doesn’t just pop right out of gear all the time.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definately worth trying to see if it's just a shifter adjustment though- transmission work is a black art and gets pricey (although for an old vw it's comporably cheap compared to other cars). Do a search on the forums and I'm sure you'll find something. It's an easy job; the first time I did it it took me an hour but I'm doing it in no time now. Anyway, hope that's all it is... good luck!!
Pinky
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: