Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

taking engine out anything i should check or do while out
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: taking engine out anything i should check or do while out Reply with quote

Im taking the engine out of my 1980 2.0 fuel injected Vanagon to replace one head with a broken intake valve on cylinder 2. Just wondering if after 25 years I should do anything while the engines out. Check seals, wiring, gaskets, anything at all.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Check crankshaft endplay.
2) If it is leaking oil at the front main, replace that seal. Same with the rear seal. If you have to cart the engine down to the VW shop to have them do this 1&2, it is worth it.
3) Change out any fuel and vent lines that you can only get to with the engine out. Clamp them.
4) If you have to remove the clutch and flywheel, index them so that it goes on the way it came off.
5) General cleaning and painting. A day spent sandblasting and painting your tinwork is time well spent. You want that engine to as clean as it is ever going to be.
6) Make sure the heaters are working as good as they can. Check out the operation of the thermostat.
7) Replace the pushrod seals if they are leaking.
8) Never disassemble the fan for painting.
9) Replace all of the vacuum lines since they are all exposed anyway.
10) If the oil cooler seals are leaking, replace them and torque carefully.
11) Replace the engine to body seal if it is lame.
12) Clean up the tail light and side marker lights wiring.
13) Inspect and clean up the battery boxes.

I printed out ratwells engine removal in 20 easy steps at the baywindow forum. Very helpful and don't be afraid to make some notes on it and label everything. I clean all of the bolts tht I can on the bench grinder just because.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: