Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arn't the "chrome" scrapers supposed to be highly
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tharmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Arn't the "chrome" scrapers supposed to be highly Reply with quote

... just got my left/right door scrapers with chrome molding, from Bus Depot. The "chrome" is really brushed aluminum... dull in it's shine. Isn't it supposed to look like real chrome???... nice and shiny??

Tom
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All genuine door trim in now aluminim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elwood-Bluesvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell- what you say?? genuine? is that really what we have to accept as the only thing available? this "sucks" can the origainal metal chrome be re-used with great care, if removed tenderly?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried to take the old one apart.

The aftermarket items fit very poorly...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsquirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY SCRAPERS HAD A THIN CLEAR PLASTIC ON IT THAT i HAD TO PEEL OFF....COULD THAT BE ON YOURS?
tharmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
MY SCRAPERS HAD A THIN CLEAR PLASTIC ON IT THAT i HAD TO PEEL OFF....COULD THAT BE ON YOURS?

Thanks for the reply.. you gave me hope for a minute... but alas... no clear plastic to peal off!! just dull aluminum... Where did you buy yours?

I called all 4-5 vendors I'm aware of and they all say now the are the dull brushed aluminum!

So I guess But Depot will have to change their description from "chrome" to "dull aluminum" outside scrapers.... I've never heard of dull "chrome"!!

Tom
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original factory scrapers were ALUMINUM not chrome. wolfsburgwest has them for 29 bucks which i think beats all others on price . no plastic to peel either. i have used them... no complaints. dont buy them from west coast metric. the rubber did not even contact my window! they also should not look like BRUSHED alum. it should be completely smooth and bright, but not polished to a mirror finish. should look the same as a section of undamaged belt trim (deluxe model- not found on camper)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tharmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
the original factory scrapers were ALUMINUM not chrome. wolfsburgwest has them for 29 bucks which i think beats all others on price . no plastic to peel either. i have used them... no complaints. dont buy them from west coast metric. the rubber did not even contact my window! they also should not look like BRUSHED alum. it should be completely smooth and bright, but not polished to a mirror finish. should look the same as a section of undamaged belt trim (deluxe model- not found on camper)

Thanks for the reply Dansvans. I know the originals were aluminum... but like you say, they were "bright"! I'm looking right now at the ones I just got the other day from Bus Depot and they are brushed aluminum, ugly in my opinion. I called every where I know (5 suppliers) including Wulfsburgwest... and they all said that the "chrome" look is no longer available. I would be so happy/relieved if you could tell me some different news!! Where can I get the "bright" scrapers???

If you want, I can try to post a digital picture of the brushed aluminum scraper.. (never have done this before). ... When did you last buy scrapers from Wulfsburgwest?? Rolling Eyes by the way, thats also what I paid for scrapers from Bus Depot.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a long journey down the disappointing trail of replacement parts.
I, too, railed powerlessly against the crap I was tacking onto my bus.
I still love driving it though!
Colin
tharmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood-Bluesvan wrote:
ratwell- what you say?? genuine? is that really what we have to accept as the only thing available? this "sucks" can the origainal metal chrome be re-used with great care, if removed tenderly?

Ellwood: Another thought on your comment above: I'm considering detatching the rubber from the metal on my new scrapers. The rubber is held onto the aluminum by 8 rivets. I could then take in the aluminum to an anodizing company I know of down town LA and have it "bright dipped". This process leave it almost like chrome. Then reattach with new rivits... I"m not sure about the new rivits on the rubber... have to check into that...
Any thoughts out there on this idea?? thanks... Tom
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two suppliers of the outer scrapers, both in Brazil. One version is genuine Volkswagen/Brazil, the other an aftermarket knockoff. The VW ones fit well, the aftermarket ones fit poorly and the clips tend to snap off. You can guess which one I carry. However, many suppliers (including some that relabel them under their own "premium" names) buy the aftermarket ones. The temptation to skimp here is great, as the aftermarket ones only wholesale for about $10 each and can fetch about $35 at retail. The genuine ones cost about double, and availability is a problem; I buy a hundred at a time when I can get them, because it can be months before I see them again.

Another problem with this item is shipping. The outer scrapers are very fragile, and it's an ongoing struggle to get them to customers' hands in one piece. I have to buy special boxes to ensure that they arrive in one piece. (Even so, a tiny bit of straightening is still often required, but in the event that they arrive badly bent I always insure them.) Some vendors charge extra "handling" fees to cover this extra packaging cost, but I include it in the price.

As for the chrome finish, I can't honestly say which has brighter "chrome." They're both a bit dull as I recall. VW tends to use the term "chrome" loosely. Witness the late Bus front emblem and Vanagon window moldings, both whose "chrome" is actually plastic. At least the scrapers use real metal! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tharmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron: From your explanation, obviously its not Bus Depot's fault. The suppliers just don't make the scrapers like they used to.

Why do you think they stopped making the scrapers with the "chrome" like appearance? I guess to keep the cost down... like everything else???

Thanks.. Tom
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do you think they stopped making the scrapers with the "chrome" like appearance?

Because the aluminum finish is what was used on Mexican and Brazilian Kombi's. Those, not original German busses, are what VW is making replacement parts for at this point. We should probably consider ourselves lucky; if it weren't for the need to provide parts for Brazilian and Mexican busses, VW would certainly have abandoned Bus replacement part manufacturing long ago. In fact, even the current "chrome" ones will probably soon go away, as later model Brazilian models used all-black ones. This will eventually leave the worse-fitting aftermarket knockoffs, or black OE replacements, as the only available options.

Last edited by Busdepot on Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a set of spares that I'll photograph against my original ones...
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thats bad news for me, i still have three new unattached bright ones. the fourth will not match the third. crap! no matter how frantically i work to keep ahead with the hoarding of desirable parts, one always gets by me, such is the old car hobby. i wonder if all window seal moulding has gone the same direction! oh no!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tharmon wrote:
Then reattach with new rivits... I"m not sure about the new rivits on the rubber... have to check into that...

Thinking, thinking, thinking . . . Rivets?? Nah, just slip the rubber back in and use some glue. Or fill the rivet/rubber holes with some God sent J B Weld...

Last year it was my karma to try to remove the outside 'aluminum' scrapers from a few junk yard buses to see if I could do it without damaging the 'aluminum'. After a few failures, I was twice successful.

BTW, it seems that the INSIDE rubbers, the ones that are just snapped on bare to the door, are a mirror to the dried up aluminum scraper rubbers. Since it is usually just the outside aluminum scraper rubbers that get dry rotted, I plan to drill out the rottened aluminum scraper rubbers from the salvaged frames and glue in the inside rubber from the other-side door.

Hints from Heloise -
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:
tharmon wrote:
Then reattach with new rivits... I"m not sure about the new rivits on the rubber... have to check into that...

Thinking, thinking, thinking . . . Rivets?? Nah, just slip the rubber back in and use some glue. Or fill the rivet/rubber holes with some God sent J B Weld...

Last year it was my karma to try to remove the outside 'aluminum' scrapers from a few junk yard buses to see if I could do it without damaging the 'aluminum'. After a few failures, I was twice successful.

BTW, it seems that the INSIDE rubbers, the ones that are just snapped on bare to the door, are a mirror to the dried up aluminum scraper rubbers. Since it is usually just the outside aluminum scraper rubbers that get dry rotted, I plan to drill out the rottened aluminum scraper rubbers from the salvaged frames and glue in the inside rubber from the other-side door.

Hints from Heloise -

...and then what happened? Did the glue trick work?
In coming days I'm going on a trip to the fastener store to see what can be found about stainless rivets that fit this application.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Arn't the "chrome" scrapers supposed to be highly Reply with quote

wow almost a 20 year old thread resurrected.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Arn't the "chrome" scrapers supposed to be highly Reply with quote

I often replace the rubber on OG trim, the inner R fits the left outer and vice versa, I use short all aluminum pop rivets and hammer them slightly after popping to flatten them a bit.

But lately not all inner scrapers are created equal, some don't have the molded swoosh on the rear end, those suck.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Arn't the "chrome" scrapers supposed to be highly Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I often replace the rubber on OG trim, the inner R fits the left outer and vice versa, I use short all aluminum pop rivets and hammer them slightly after popping to flatten them a bit.

But lately not all inner scrapers are created equal, some don't have the molded swoosh on the rear end, those suck.

I'm in the same boat. I like your plan, but am skeptical about the new rubber. Who is your source, and how would you rate 1 to 10?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: