Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
After reading this thread and making my own jig, I preloaded the diaphragm and tightened up everything. I installed it on the engine and hooked up the fuel line and it leaked like crazy. I took it off and reinstalled the diaphragm without preloading it. Installed on the engine and hooked up the gas line, no leaks.

It looks like when I preload it there is not enough rubber sticking out to make a good seal. Has this happen to anyone else?

Why did this happen to this fellow?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

He probably used the wrong jig. There are at least two different specifications. The 36 hp jig is quite different than the 1300+. There ws something very wrong if he had no diaphragm seal showing between the two sealing halves.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Why did this happen to this fellow?

Probably because he was using an incorrectly-made diaphragm from one of the current rebuild kits.

Here's a photo of the bogus diaphragm from a kit obtained from Wolfsburg West, with a preload of about 10 mm. This is what a correctly made diaphragm should look
like with the specified 14 mm preload:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here's a photo of the same diaphragm with a little less than 14 mm (13.8 mm?) preload. Obviously, the pump can not be assembled without leakage like this:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

I bought some rebuild kits from Europe... hoping they were better than Brazilian.
Who knows... they may be Brazilian.

At any rate... I wanted to know more about what I bought & how it stacked up to original.

I picked out six APG pumps... a few round top & a few square top... just to mix it up.

All six of the pumps still had APG diaphragms.

Using Hooke's law (F=kx)... I figured the biggest thing to look at first was the spring.

I measured the spring free length.

Then I wanted to know how much force it takes to compress the spring a certain distance... since the spring applies a resisting force at a constant rate.

I put the diaphragm and calipers on the scale & zeroed it out.

Then I got a socket that fit over the pin & compressed it.
Took a reading off the scale and at the same time... held the calipers in the same fashion as when I measured the free length (not pushing down with the calipers).

It was tough to read two things at once... so I gave up on trying to do that.
I decided to just push the socket down... and put the caliper on it and ignore adjusting the caliper & read it later... just focusing on the scale reading and if the caliper was touching where it should. Looked for the reading where the caliper was just on the cusp of bobbing off the diaphragm.

Turns out... the new kit diaphragm pin is a fuzz over a 1/16"shorter than the original... and the spring stiffness is quite a bit stiffer

Using the old spring (as previously discussed) is the way to go.
It was time for dinner... so didn't delve into diaphragm stiffness differences... probably negligible (compared to the spring).

The actuating foot in the rebuild kit seems effectively the same as original.
When the pivoting axes are aligned... each end seems in basically the same place.

Here's a pic of the old & new diaphragms side by side.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

I'd be interested if you measured the pin length between the original and new one like in these photo's of the POS Wolfsburg West kit?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Springs removed for accurate measurement.

New = 33.13mm = 1.304"
Original= 35.25mm = 1.3875"

A difference of = 2.12mm or 0.0835" (just under 3/32")
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
... Turns out... the new kit diaphragm pin is a fuzz over a 1/16"shorter than the original... and the spring stiffness is quite a bit stiffer ...

I don't know what you're measuring to get "pin length", but it's probably meaningless. The effective pin length will be from the operating lever seat to some
reference point. The new kit's effective pin lengths are WAY shorter than 1/16" compared to stock. This creates much higher output pressure, along with the stiffer spring.
It also makes it pretty much impossible to assemble the pump with the correct preload.

Also, what you call the spring "free length" is NOT the free length. You have to take the spring off the diaphragm to measure that.

EDIT: I have free length measurements of 10 stock and aftermarket springs. Nine of them are in the range 29-31 mm. The spring from an aftermarket Airtex pump was 40 mm.
except for the last, I don't think spring length is much of an issue.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
easy e wrote:
... Turns out... the new kit diaphragm pin is a fuzz over a 1/16"shorter than the original... and the spring stiffness is quite a bit stiffer ...

I don't know what you're measuring to get "pin length", but it's probably meaningless. The effective pin length will be from the operating lever seat to some
reference point. The new kit's effective pin lengths are WAY shorter than 1/16" compared to stock. This creates much higher output pressure, along with the stiffer spring.
It also makes it pretty much impossible to assemble the pump with the correct preload.

Also, what you call the spring "free length" is NOT the free length. You have to take the spring off the diaphragm to measure that.

EDIT: I have free length measurements of 10 stock and aftermarket springs. Nine of them are in the range 29-31 mm. The spring from an aftermarket Airtex pump was 40 mm.
except for the last, I don't think spring length is much of an issue.

Evan,

Just ignore Kreemo. This is his normal BS. He offers no value in his posts. He simply comes on the site to "correct" people's posts in a condescending way while usually not knowing what he's talking about.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

The effective pin length is from pin tip to the upper surface of the upper diaphragm plate.
Ya, I was lazy & playing horseshoes... because the source of significant error is in the force measurement (freehanding the scale).

Please feel free to improve on the results, approach... I encourage you.

The free length is a fuzz below where I measured... the top of retaining disc.
But, it's lost in the noise because of the scale accuracy thing.

Consistency in approach provides the qualitative aspect ("the take away"), so please don't take jabs at the decimal place & number of significant digits.

Repeat the process to your desired level of accuracy & the spring rate ratio will be virtually identical. I numbered the diaphragms, per column 1. I'd be happy to mail them to you, if you'd like to give us a similar presentation & provide the spring rate ratio to compare to mine.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Bill.
I don't mind being challenged in the slightest.
I get challenged everyday & do the same.
The truth always comes out.
I've extended my offer for him to accept, or not.
piperj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

easy e:I ran into these same issues a couple years back when I rebuilt my stock pump with WW kit. I ended up leaving the pump with the new kit installed on the pretensioning jig for a few days and it did stretch a bit; enough to get the top assembled with enough of the diaphragm showing around the edge and not leak. It seems we need to get kits that really work; let us know if you find a worth while source or amended tensioning technique. This is a good thread to keep updated.
Silvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Some great stuff here. Tagging it for future reference. New to air-cooled, trying to find a good rebuild kit for my Early 61 40HP.

Vw's currently caretaking
61 Beetle - Pastel blue
79 Scirocco - Kolibri Green
80 Scirocco S - Alpine white - Drake built 1.8 W/ Stage II Callaway.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Does this look right for the diaphragm with 14mm preload?...

I've been rebuilding this for the 1600 dual port engine in my Splitty Single Cab.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

I've been rebuilding this for the 1600 dual port engine in my Splitty Single Cab.

It does though that kit you are using is not a very good one compared to the new Wolfsburg West kit.

See this thread. I just did a review of the new Wolfsburg West kit.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8610307#8610307

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work on that detailed drawing.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

It does though that kit you are using is not a very good one compared to the new Wolfsburg West kit.

Thanks for confirming.

I don't think the WW kit from your link is available over here yet. VW Heritage stock WW's pump kits, but the image on their website is of the kit that has a black plastic retainer on the diaphragm spring. All the kits available over here look like that.

I've used the diaphragms and washers from the new kit, but reused all the springs etc. that were in the pump. Those parts all looked to be original. The diaphragm that came out was the type with the doughnut of gasket around the central disk.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Thanks for confirming.

I don't think the WW kit from your link is available over here yet. VW Heritage stock WW's pump kits, but the image on their website is of the kit that has a black plastic retainer on the diaphragm spring. All the kits available over here look like that.

I've used the diaphragms and washers from the new kit, but reused all the springs etc. that were in the pump. Those parts all looked to be original. The diaphragm that came out was the type with the doughnut of gasket around the central disk.

The biggest issue with those aftermarket kits that look like yours sold here in the USA was the main diaphragm pin was too short by a 1/4". It made preloading the diaphragm impossible and putting the top on a challenge. If folks were able to do that, the diaphragm was under a ton of pressure. It would pull the assembly apart or rip the diaphragm. Those two pictures show the length difference.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

Thanks for confirming.

The biggest issue with those aftermarket kits that look like yours sold here in the USA was the main diaphragm pin was too short by a 1/4". It made preloading the diaphragm impossible and putting the top on a challenge. If folks were able to do that, the diaphragm was under a ton of pressure. It would pull the assembly apart or rip the diaphragm. Those two pictures show the length difference.

Looks like I'm going to have to order from WW. I hadn't realised that the kit I'd started building the pump with was incomplete (all the top-end parts were missing). The replacement kit was also incomplete. The vendor checked and all their kits are incomplete! They won't have complete kits until mid-December, so I tried a different vendor.

That vendor shipped me a BBT kit, but when I assembled the pump it wouldn't pump properly. It has the problem with the too-short diaphragm shaft. I checked the other kits and they are also too short.

So, once I have confirmation that I'll be getting full refunds, I'll order a WW kit.

Edit - the kit in the link above shows the WW kit for the round-topped pump (without the integral filter). Are their square-topped pump rebuild kits now correct too?

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

Edit - the kit in the link above shows the WW kit for the round-topped pump (without the integral filter). Are their square-topped pump rebuild kits now correct too?

What parts are you missing? I NEVER change anything in a square top pump rebuild other than the upper and lower diaphragm assemblies and gaskets. The hard parts like the rocker, pin and springs are usually perfect. The valves are usually fine too though I resurface the inlet flap.

I haven't seen their complete kit for the square top yet, so I can't tell you what's in it or not. I know I've seen seen a square top rebuild kit that had the correct replacement valves in it.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

What parts are you missing? I NEVER change anything in a square top pump rebuild other than the upper and lower diaphragm assemblies and gaskets. The hard parts like the rocker, pin and springs are usually perfect. The valves are usually fine too though I resurface the inlet flap.

I haven't seen their complete kit for the square top yet, so I can't tell you what's in it or not. I know I've seen seen a square top rebuild kit that had the correct replacement valves in it.

The parts that were missing from the kits I got from the first vendor were the upper diaphragm, gasket and filter. All the kits suffered with the 'too short lower diaphragm shaft' problem though.

A comment from my wife reminded me that I'm sure I've seen someone on here drill out the lower diaphragm shaft and replace it with a small diameter bolt and nuts (e.g. M3 diameter)

I may keep kit that I bought from the second vendor which has the upper diaphragm etc. and and try modifying the lower diaphragm. If that doesn't work, I'll order one of WW's new lower diaphragms

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: