Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Preloading also helps line up the diaphragm with the bolt holes.

There's no reason not to have all the bolts installed, but not tightened all the way, before preloading.

I agree and slightly preloading the diaphragm allows the bolts to line up so much easier. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Here's my homemade pre-load fuel pump tool. I haven't tested the tool yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

This^ looks like it was made from something else (that's how professional it looks if completely-from-scratch homemade).

What is it made from, if not completely homemade?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
This^ looks like it was made from something else (that's how professional it looks if completely-from-scratch homemade).

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Fuel-Pump-Block-Off-Plate-Type-1-Engines-p/fuel-pump-block-off-cast.htm
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Fuel-Pump-Block-Off-Plate-Type-1-Engines-p/fuel-pump-block-off-cast.htm

Bingo. Smile

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Just wanted to share my jig I made from some plastic I had laying around. It already had a hole centered in it so I just played off that. Set a pin in the middle at 13mm and tapped two 8x1.25mm studs in it.

Clamps nicely in my hobby vice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

^^ That's slick

I have an original jig and find I don't use it. I prefer my bench vise. I put a punch in it 13MM above, push the body down to pull the diaphragm into position and tighten the 6 screws. Much faster.

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Yeah, I usually put them together without a jig... getting ready to build a few and came across this thread. I thought I’d whip one up with what I had laying around and try it out. I took apart one pump and it’s missing a small reed/check valve and the small retainer plate/screw... so I gotta find those pieces before I can play.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Yeah, I usually put them together without a jig... getting ready to build a few and came across this thread. I thought I’d whip one up with what I had laying around and try it out. I took apart one pump and it’s missing a small reed/check valve and the small retainer plate/screw... so I gotta find those pieces before I can play.

If you need the reed valve and retainer, PM me. I have tons and can drop one in the mail.

sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

This is how my fueltool look like. Took 5 minutes to make and have been used for many years.

M10 thread in the bakelite and in with a screw of right length.

kevincoupnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

I just rebuilt an original pierburg fuel pump for my 1967 bug. Thanks to all for the info on the preload requirement and jig. I found it easy to assemble the fuel pump, leaving the upper housing screws loose enough allow the diaphragm to move. After setting the preload on the bench jig, which will pull the diaphragm into the lower housing, you can tighten the screws.
64bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

Just to add to this thread for a 36hp pump at tdc the plunger is at the correct 35mm hieght so no tool needed. Also it put my ww diaphram at a relaxed fit so easy top install with it on the motor. It will be awhile before i can run it on my new build but anxious to see where my fuel pressure falls.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Home-made fuel pump rebuilding jig Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Just wanted to share my jig I made from some plastic I had laying around. It already had a hole centered in it so I just played off that. Set a pin in the middle at 13mm and tapped two 8x1.25mm studs in it.

Clamps nicely in my hobby vice.

That Poster in the back round has my 57 Oval from the 1992 Kelly Park Show. Oh yeah nice tool also... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: