Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Middle seats
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

joefriday wrote:
What year is this seat? I've read the bar is thin with chrome ends is 61-63, thick with plastic ends 64-67. Not sure which this is. What type of seams are these? Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, 61-63 with sewn seams but with the wrong grab handle on top.

I think someone might have switched it as the handle on the fold-down portion looks like it squeezed in there, making the handle bow more than normal.

I would need a better photo to be sure.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Both handles are incorrect? The folding seat looks a bit squished.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Hmm, that actually looks like a 1964 style seat but with earlier style seamed upholstery.

1964 seat frame has the kicked out leg by the cargo door instead of straight down and the fold-down portion folds at an angle instead of straight down.
Angle example:

Does this match your seat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

I took a look at the seat last night and the passenger side door leg kicks out, and the back has a slight tilt when moved. It looks like it's a 64-67 with sewn seams. Thanks to both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
badassratbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

i have an october 55 and it appears to have the plates on the floor for a 4 leg any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

badassratbus wrote:
i have an october 55 and it appears to have the plates on the floor for a 4 leg any ideas?

Your Wolfsburg Bus should have the five floor plates. Post a picture of your floor. Let's see what you have.
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
My long 1963 seat has the same measurements as what you posted.

As far as I know the Bay Window long seat bolts right in with no modifications.

It's only the Bay Window short seat where the legs do not match up with the Split Bus center floor mounts.

Any pics of someone converting a full bay window middle seat to a split full middle? Interested to see how the grab handles attach to the frame and I'm assuming just removing the fold down latch mechanism works? Are the grab handles just screwed onto the frame? I have a 64 deluxe bulk head, produced in September 63. Thanks!
badassratbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

i was looking at picture of my floor the wrong way it is like the one in the picture, Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone -- I came across this thread yesterday while looking for something else.

Lind notes here that "most pre '64 walk throughs had full seats. virtually all '64-'67 walk throughs had 2/3 seats."

I wonder: does anyone know how many '64-'67 walk throughs had full middle seats? The notion that virtually all of them had 2/3 seats suggests it is not many.

(I ask because my very late 1967 21-window is a 247 model, a walk through with a full middle seat, with an M-Code plate to back this up.)

Thanks, Folks!
-Dave (Methusela)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

I don't think any counts are "known," only that 64-67 more commonly had the short seats.
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett.

I've owned the bus for years, and until recently I thought it was a 7-passenger model (the P.O. sourced a 2/3 seat for it many, many years ago thinking it was a 7-pass)...and now that I've finally begun the restoration, I joined Samba, learned to read M-Codes and chassis numbers, and found that I need to find a correct full seat...

Heck, until recently I didn't even know there were walk-through buses with full-length seats! I learn something new every time I come to Samba.

Again, thanks!
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Another middle seat question or 2. Is this a kombi seat, vs microbus? Based on fabric, and no ashtray? Is adding an ashtray simple? I suspect it would be easy and not considered hacking the seat. I don't want to be that guy.
Are there any other differences between a kombi and microbus middle seat? Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2023006
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

joefriday wrote:
Another middle seat question or 2. Is this a kombi seat, vs microbus? Based on fabric, and no ashtray? Is adding an ashtray simple? I suspect it would be easy and not considered hacking the seat. I don't want to be that guy.
Are there any other differences between a kombi and microbus middle seat? Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2023006

Kombi seat. Seat frame is the same, only upholstery is different for Kombi vs. other models.

I was not aware a Kombi seat did not have an ash tray?
It may just be missing from that seat.
Yes, it should be easy to add, if needed.
The bracket is simply riveted to the hard backboard inside the seat back.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, it should be easy to add, if needed.
The bracket is simply riveted to the hard backboard inside the seat back.

Page 40 of this thread has some pix I posted showing the middle seat ashtray mount, including this one.

FYI, my 1961 standard bus, non-walk thru, originally had a 2/3 middle seat. So any length middle seat, could be in any bus, walk-thru or not, from the factory. In my experience.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
FYI, my 1961 standard bus, non-walk thru, originally had a 2/3 middle seat. So any length middle seat, could be in any bus, walk-thru or not, from the factory. In my experience.

True.
You can typically look at the cargo floor or the model # on the M-code plate to see what it needs.
andy65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

I have I think an original set of LHD 1963 single flip seats, According to the tatty paper labels inside were manf oct 63, I think that's the original upholstery tho no grab rails ? but am new to VW and have no idea as to the rarity or value,can anyone advise ? (hope ive uploaded these right ) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=andy65
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Quote:
original set of LHD 1963 single flip seats

Yes, they could be from a '63 but they have been reupholstered as the colors do not look right to be original upholstery 1963 seats, if you are asking about that too.
The seats are the same from 58-63.
They are not rare but are desirable to someone who needs seats.
telleir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm currently restoring my 13 window bus. (Velvet green/Pearl White - Mesh Platinium)
The bus has factory 12V, so I guess it's (almost) a '67 model?
As seen on my m-code below, the bus had a 2/3 middle seat.

When I bought the bus, the middle seat was missing... (as always)
I recently acquired a '67 only middle seat for the bus.
Before I weld the the setup for this type of seat on my new floor, I want to be sure it's the correct one.

So in fact I want to know what type of 2/3 middle seat originally came with my bus. (<66 or 67 only)

Is there a way to figure this out?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Fred

telleir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

Gentle up... Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Middle seats Reply with quote

As far as I know it should have a 66 seat.

You can usually tell by the mounts on the cargo floor, is the cargo floor missing?

12v is an option and doesn't affect the seat.
I don't see the M-code for 12v on your M-code plate?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 50

Jump to: