Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Tool kit
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Thing Tool kit Reply with quote

Over the years I have picked up original VW tool kit parts....at least I think I have. Anyone know what came in the Thing kit?????any different than the comparable Bug. What I am missing ,of course , is the pouch. Any pics of the original pouch and the tools. I have the double ended screw driver, the spark plug socket, the wheel socket but I can't seem to find the 10mm/13mm open end wrench.....but I remember seeing it. I was thinking I might "reconstruct" a tool pouch. This is clearly not critical mass....just tinkering around in the wonderful Easter in SC. Which BTW was glorious. Very Happy Very Happy
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the original Thing tool kit and a list of its content on Samba at

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=198671

K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kman: Thanks for the info...I later found the same diagram in my parts book. Located my OE pliers, OE double screwdriver, spark plug/wheel lug socket and tommy bar.All in great shape after cleaning. Oddly my 13/10 open end wrench is acutally 13/8 and is marked that way. The wrench is marked Hazet V 10. I wonder where I came to get this? I also found a short (about 2") 13 mm socket that is made for use with the tommy bar. ???? Now I have picked this stuff up over many years and none of what I have was Thing specific....just VW parts from here and there. Wonder where I might find a 13/10 wrench....Mike Basso? Don't have to have it but would like to have an "original" tool kit. Will have to make a pouch.
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Tool kit Reply with quote

radioman wrote:
What I am missing, of course, is the pouch. Any pics of the original pouch and the tools.

http://www.geocities.com/pjmacua/mon181us.html

then go to "Year 2004" chapter.

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention the 8 x 13 wrench. That is the same one I have. I have a fair collection of VW tools but no 10 x 13 wrench and no tool sleeve. All the other tools you mention I too have and none came from Things. My tommy bar, spark plug/lug wrench, collection is good sized. I even have a late 50s wooden handled wide flat bladed screw driver. It is funny because they are not worth much but then again none of mine are for sale. They all came from cars I have owned over the years. Kubelken has a good supply of repro tool sleeves. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find new OEM VW tool kits (with the pouches, 10mm/13mm wrench, etc.) online at both CIP1 and BTLMEX. While they're not Thing-specific, they are genuine VW parts, and are pretty cheap - like $24 for the entire tool kit. I haven't seen any that include either a pliers or the hubcap bearclaw.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to share with you that the short 2" 13 mm socket that fits on the tommy bar was intended as a valve adjustment socket.

Speaking of tools I just found the coolest online source for Hazet and other "real" VW tools.

Check out

http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm

Or check out this link and focus on page 19 for the description of the 25 piece 73 accessory tool kit "in soft plastic pouch... Then go to page 18 to see a color picture of the kit.

http://www.webwrench.com/airaccess/1973catalog.shtml

Then go here

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VWToolKit.html

to see a picture of the tool kit..

K-mann
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmann: Cool stuff! Very Happy
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill for enjoying my journey of cool tools and such. Funny enough after all these years and as a result of my recent search, I actually just ordered the Hazet 100 mm 1/2" dirve CV 12 pt. puller. I can hardly wait to use it... i have been using the 6 pt. for all this time with no troubles////

K-mann
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: