Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Midwest engine builder
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Midwest engine builder Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a lead on a quality engine builder in the Midwest? or East coast?. I've talked to a lot of people near me (Michigan) without much luck. I've searched for strings on all the big ad guys and see nothing but horror stories. Looking for a turn-key 1915 for my bus. Building it myself is not an option. I'd rather use the time to finish other parts of the project. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Steve @ Serrano. It's in Ca., but I got an engine from him and even w/ shipping it was a helluva deal (and awesome customer service).
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, all I find is good stuff about Serrano's. Sounds like customer service is great. Definitely gonna call him. Can anyone fill me in on the quality of his assembled engines? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, all I find is good stuff about Serrano's. Sounds like customer service is great. Definitely gonna call him. Can anyone fill me in on the quality of his assembled engines? Thanks
fgrir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a close by engine builder in the midwest. IMO your best bet is Davisracing in Morristown,in. It's about 40 min southeast of Indianapolis. His customer service is unmatched. His # is 1-765-763-7709
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a bunch of guys in the Ddk in your area that could build that motor for you locally if you are interested in going that route. If you want some names and email addresses let me know.

Mike
59 single, 66 bug, 69 bus, 73 super
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that, quite a few guys from the Ddk in the lower Michigan area that can build a killer engine. No need to jack up your phone Bill with calls to Cali...
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to talk to someone face to face or a least close by. Pardon my ignorance, but what is DdK?
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ddk is a hipo vw club here in the midwest. Ddk - Die Deutschen Kameraden- The German Comrades. The clubs website is www.ddkvw.com

Mike
bandress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Krustybus,

I ordered a custom configured 1776 longblock from Steve at Serranos, and had it delivered to my home in Ypsilanti last November. I was concerned with the long distance communication, but everything has worked out great. I even had him take photos during assembly and got a complete set of cooling tin powdercoated. Steve was very responsive to all of my requests.

I was on a business trip to Calif. back in February and was able to stop by his shop and chat with him. He is doing a ton of internet business and gets great deals on his components based on the volume of parts he buys.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions about him.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fgrir wrote:
If you want a close by engine builder in the midwest. IMO your best bet is Davisracing in Morristown,in. It's about 40 min southeast of Indianapolis. His customer service is unmatched. His # is 1-765-763-7709

If your pretty close to Gary, I'd give him a shout and check with him.
He's got alot of Hi-Po type ones under his belt and is a reliable guy.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good quality type 1 engine call Davis Racing.
he has combos if you're looking for torque or H-P.
with dyno tuned turn key if you want.
He also is a big sponsor of the VW Nationals in June.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: