Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn not working
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Horn not working Reply with quote

'80 ac Vanagon
I recently replaced my non-working horn w/ a new one from BD. I didn't test it w/ 12 volts out of the box.(I know, I should have). I pulled the the horn button on the steering wheel and checked the connections and function - all seems good. Everything else works, no bad fuses. Where should I start trouble shooting?

jamie
Des Moines, Iowa Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure The ground wire is hooked to the steering collum as shown in the picture,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after I hooked this up my horn worked but sounded like it was sick or something like it wasn't getting enough voltage. So I just replaced it with a cheap air horn setup It is wired to a relay so low voltage will trigger it, works with my horn button, easy to install, cost about $15.00
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: checked grounds Reply with quote

I went out at lunch at checked the column ground wires - seem good, no horn. Removed horn button and manually connected horn wires, still nothing.
Which fuse runs the horn and what color is the horn wires?

jamie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jamie, I am new here but I have just went thru the no horn blues on an '83 that I just bought, worked days on it (the horn) in preparation for a N.Y.S. inspection. What I found was that the brass contact that is fastened to the underside of the steering wheel was worn out and not making contact with the stationary contact mounted on the top of the dir/wiper switch. The horn wire was yellow/black (hot) and brown (ground). On my '83 the last fuse on the right that also is for the B.U. lamps is the one for the horn. Does any one know where that contact on the steering wheel can be bought ? Thanks ,,,Peace,,, Craig
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttt, if thats allowed, I need to find a source for that dam horn contact on the steeering wheel, sometimes it works,,, sometimes it dont. Thanks,,, Peace, Craig
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy boyh volkscafe.com and gowesty.com have horn contacts.... Twisted Evil
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that information,,,,Peace,, Craig
Connie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, let me know when u get your brass horn contact, if you get your horn to work.. mine had the same prob. i replaced the brass ring, and still no horn. thanks, connie. Sad
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,, Yeah, it works now but not in every position of the steering wheel,, parts of the contact are missing and when the wheel stops where there is no contact left it doesnt work. Thats why I need to replace the contact. I hope that helps you out ,,, Peace,,Craig
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: update - horn works Reply with quote

I got the horn working this weekend. I took the steering wheel off to inspect the contact area. The brass contact that's connected to the turn signal cam assembly was broken off and and caused catastophic wear on the the brass contact ring that's a part of the steering wheel. I replaced the steering wheel and the the turn signal assembly w/ a good set from my donor vanagon. All is working great. I'm assuming that you can't fix the brass ring on the steering wheel - has anyone done this?

jamie foust
des moines, iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: