Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Anchovy wrote:
Vintage photo I got from Germany:

Rear hatch, body bumpers, logos. Looks like a fat base mirror on the hinge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeff- What's wierd about that Bus is that it is a "short upper rear vent" Bus which means it's earlier than mid 1951 but it has two reflectors which I thought started in mid 1952. It also has flat lensed bubbles which is ultra cool and if its a 1951 then those taillights are flat out impossible to find. Basically, that is probably one of the first 15,000 Buses ever made right there.
Hey Brendan, I made those same observations. You can also see that the cargo door handle is removed and the deck lid either looks ajar or like it was poorly fixed. This may explain the "addition" of the second reflector. The brake light also looks like the block style rather than the smooth curved style lens. With the mirror mounted on the door hinge the bus has obviously been tampered with....POS!

I bet that the parts or service manager at a dealership was selling some extra crap to that bus owner. "here, buy some body mount rear bumper trim, and another reflector while you are at it" notice how the reflector on the passenger side appears to be mounted at a slight downward angle, like there was no base stamping for it. I also wonder if that hatch was a service instalation. that seems to me to be too early for a rear hatch to be factory.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Anchovy wrote:
Vintage photo I got from Germany:

Rear hatch, body bumpers, logos. Looks like a fat base mirror on the hinge.

Jeff- What's wierd about that Bus is that it is a "short upper rear vent" Bus which means it's earlier than mid 1951 but it has two reflectors which I thought started in mid 1952. It also has flat lensed bubbles which is ultra cool and if its a 1951 then those taillights are flat out impossible to find. Basically, that is probably one of the first 15,000 Buses ever made right there.

Hey Brendan, I made those same observations. You can also see that the cargo door handle is removed and the deck lid either looks ajar or like it was poorly fixed. This may explain the "addition" of the second reflector. The brake light also looks like the block style rather than the smooth curved style lens. With the mirror mounted on the door hinge the bus has obviously been tampered with....POS!

Jeff- Barndoor Panels sometimes came without cargo door handles. They would simply have a chrome latch hole cover identical to those on Single Cab Treasure chest doors. My '53 was that way when I got it. The latch cover was still intact on it even.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
It also has flat lensed bubbles which is ultra cool and if its a 1951 then those taillights are flat out impossible to find.

Not totally impossible to find (I assume you're talking flat glass lenses).

You are right, nothing is impossible to find. Without the chassis number, it's hard to know whether it should wear the 1950-1951 taillights with the flat bright red lenses or the later "1952-1953" type taillights with the dark red lenses. Either way, they would be hard to find, the earlier ones being exponentially harder to find for sure.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Scotty wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
It also has flat lensed bubbles which is ultra cool and if its a 1951 then those taillights are flat out impossible to find.

You are right, nothing is impossible to find. Without the chassis number, it's hard to know whether it should wear the 1950-1951 taillights with the flat bright red lenses or the later "1952-1953" type taillights with the dark red lenses. Either way, they would be hard to find, the earlier ones being exponentially harder to find for sure.

What's interesting is that "Barndoor" lenses were made for a variety of applications. Tail light (Hella) lenses for my 1954 are cheap on eBay when they are not listed as "barndoor", but you need to know how to search for them. The search (hint): The lenses are part of a universal assembly that is often used for tractors (traktor). There is a newer version with a bunch of additional writing on the lenses, but the old style lenses with the (K1*...) come up every couple weeks. The flat lenses are probably also available in the same way. Do the flat lenses have markings?
nvega
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what 51-53(Flat plastic) Lens looks like. The one on the right is a repro the other is German...50 and early 51 are glass...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Scotty wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:

In my experience the early bright glass tail lights have been easier to find than the dark plastic ones. There are more people who need the plastic lights than the glass ones. My friend has managed to buy 2 early glass lights on separate occasions, where I have only found 1 plastic light so far....

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty! I told you........hit the German Shows or the big ones. I did see a good handful at Hessisch. Though there were more flat glass taillights!! Weird huh! Any hoot........now I am on a quest to find me a pair of those flat plastic lenses for my 53. And I will find them!!! Hope your bus is coming along? Think you will have it at Bad Camberg??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure this is a crime scene. Big guy wearing a trench coat...large stain on the ground....BD get-away vehicle.

Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
Scotty! I told you........hit the German Shows or the big ones. I did see a good handful at Hessisch. Though there were more flat glass taillights!! Weird huh! Any hoot........now I am on a quest to find me a pair of those flat plastic lenses for my 53. And I will find them!!! Hope your bus is coming along? Think you will have it at Bad Camberg??

There was a guy at Spa who had one flat plastic light for 500 euros.... The bulb holder had been cut off the back, and the rim didn't have the hella logo..... I just can't afford that shiat! I'm still looking.

Right now my plan is to be driving to camberg. As soon as I get it back from welding I'm on it!

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Barndoor Mafia wrote:

There was a guy at Spa who had one flat plastic light for 500 euros.... The bulb holder had been cut off the back, and the rim didn't have the hella logo..... I just can't afford that shiat! I'm still looking.

Right now my plan is to be driving to camberg. As soon as I get it back from welding I'm on it!

That is $641.35 for those of you who don't speak "Euro". A true bargain...

Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Barndoor Mafia wrote:

Bargain my ARSE Linda! You must have a money tree in your back yard!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nvega
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little something...
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Barndoor Mafia wrote:

Bargain my ARSE Linda! You must have a money tree in your back yard!!!

SARCASM, son, sarcasm. I got you...

dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more vintage BD pics, 3 of 4 have logos:

Fire Kombi
http://www.brandweerbus.com/Neerijnen1_Medium.JPG
http://www.brandweerbus.com/Neerijnen2_Medium.JPG

Fire Panel
http://www.brandweerbus.com/Volkswagen_Kronenburg_1_Small.JPG
http://www.brandweerbus.com/Volkswagen_M-86101_Small.JPG
http://www.brandweerbus.com/Volkswagen_M-86101_1_Small.JPG
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I like the logo buses with the signs mounted to the roof like the one in the first photo.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered the DKF Newsletters
Top pic

4? BD DLXs, and 2 other BDs
Where are they now??
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Just discovered the DKF Newsletters
Top pic

4? BD DLXs, and 2 other BDs
Where are they now??

that pic rocks.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of Bat Man's ride before he got the bat mobile:

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty cool early dlx

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=304420
http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us.aspx
hadnt seen it before. anyone got any more pics
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RockStock"]pretty cool early dlx

Reminds me of the green flash...

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 285

Jump to: