Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seam Rust (Help?)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Seam Rust (Help?) Reply with quote

Well, I did some reading, a lot of reading, and I got up the balls to take out my evil soaked/wet/soggy fiberglass insualtion out of my Westy.

Of course I was too late, and yes, the vans rust from the inside out. We all know that - but now I am looking to "fix" some rust, or at least slow it down so I can later put the van in a cryogenitic state until they come out with a cure. Rolling Eyes

So, here's my game plan. Clean out seam rust on inside, coat/slather with POR 15, then coat with Kool-Patch as per - http://www.type2.com/library/heat/heat-soundproof.html
And add some foam board insualtion to keep down some noise.

But I have some questions.

Foam sealant, ya know the expanding stuff. Can I blow this crap down into the door-beams behind the driver and passenger. I have seam rust down in there, but have no way to get at it. Will this stuff (foam) - keep water out, and not expand and blow out metal?

I also found seam rust under the rear "fender" where the seam (factory) sealer is worn out. I plan to coat this with Kool-Patch as well after I clean it (and the rust) off. I'll paint the rust first, then coat with Kool-Patch.

I found major rust - (no biggie, I could stick my hand in it) behind the sink/stove from rotting fiberglass - I sealed up the flue-vent and ports with GE Silicone II (turned out pretty nice). The metal is shot, and well, its really really gone. I am honetly thinking of filling this with foam, and then cutting off the dead metal, zinc primer, paint, POR 15 the other metal I can't get to. Kool-Patch it, and then *screw* or *rivit* down a peice of sheet metal on top of it. I gotta do something to keep the critters out.

SO. My other question is what did VW use (or should I use) to replace the body seam filler. I hear Bondo is crap and I want to avoid it at all costs...

Any advice is welcome.

-Dan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that foam sealant once on a 59 Ford F-100 that was slowly dissolving into a pile of dust. When the sun hit the foam, it got hard and cracked. Good stop gap but not a permanant solution. Also it took out weak areas as it hardened....but, considering the area of rust, it was a good stop gap solution

Hemmings Motor News has a distributor has has some product that takes the rust, removes it, seals it, and you can paint over it.....

I'm going to give it a try myself when my twin Cortina GT's get over here from Ireland. I'm told one has rust on the rear deck and pan...

Before I begin to cut away and weld back. I'm gunna try the easy way out first Shocked
supplicationjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insulating spray foam is supposed to be closed cell and it is on the outside edges. In other words if you spray a blob on some wax paper and let it dry it will not absorb water because it has a hard outer shell BUT if you puncture that shell and hold it under water it will absorb water like a sponge! I'd use it on a house to seal and insulate but I don't know how it would work in a moving vehicle.

On the seam filler there are some really good paintable silicones made nowadays.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so foam is a bad idea.

I'm honestly thinking that the rust is SO bad on the drivers side (I mean, its a hole) that I doubt that its out of my scope of doing/$. I mean, I suck at body work.

I guess I am really just trying to keep it from rusting more, or slowing it down. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan give it a shot , we all learn from our mistakes Smile , try por 15 . it's very good and simple to use Very Happy ,just messy. Sad . have fun doing it Very Happy and good luck trying it .you can see my mistakes at the beach show in july.
supplicationjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good thread on Por 15 vs. Rust Bullet vs. Zero Rust from the body section.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63712

There's no easy way to fight certain death Mad
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct way would be stripping everything away from the rust area, cut out as much as you can, mig weld in new metal, clean as much of the remaining small rust areas as you can, then paint it all with a good coat of por-15.
I tried this once on a 280z I bought, and said to myself never again, the car was to far gone. After welding floor boards and frame rails in and spending way to much on rust converter that didn't work to well I starting finding thin spots in the back. So I gave up and used the foam and stuff like you are thinking about, sealed the car all up for winter driving for the next few years. Now of course I only used the foam and stuff to keep the car on the road a few more years. I knew when I was done with it it was going to the junkyard, I wasn't going to stick someone else with it. So that's where the poor little car went. Crying or Very sad
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the foam is out. That was my idea, and I am glad that I'm not going to try it.

Today I added some Rustolium (sp) "Rust Refomer" to some of the inner seams that I'll have a hard time cleaning out. So far it turned the rust into a black sealed mass. Rolling Eyes

I plan to paint it after waiting a few days and then I might POR-15 over it, but I feel that at least getting the rustulation (rusty insulation) out was a good first step.

While I can weld, I have a small gassless MIG. And I'm "OK" with it, my welds are pretty ugly but strong. And the fact is the seam on the drivers side is SO FAR GONE that I'll have to do some major reconstruction to get it back to normal... Rolling Eyes

On the upside, I don't drive the van at all in the winter. So road salt is not a factor (nor do I ever see it being one in the future as long as I own it..)

It just sucks that this really cool vehicle must fall prey to bad design that rots it apart 20 years down the road... Crying or Very sad
supplicationjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It just sucks that this really cool vehicle must fall prey to bad design that rots it apart 20 years down the road...

Yeah Dan but after 20 years, what manmade object doesn't require a little restoration? Besides on your vanagon at least the structural stuff is still good.......and those panels can be repaired. After watching some of the crap they resurrect on Overhaulin' I'm starting to think anything can be repaired.

I've been begging my wife to submit my westy for an overhaulin' but it hasn't been "stolen" yet Wink Ahhh I can see it now.... Chip Foose fits a 350 with no loss of clearance, better suspension, bitchin' stereo and no more rust Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for pointing that out. I guess after 20 years anything other then a stone would need maintaince.

I feel a little better, I mean, at least none of this is a "gee I wonder..." to me anymore.
supplicationjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan I'd love to know how you're rust battle is going. Although some seam rust can be caused by hook up leaks and leaks like you had, Terry K. told me that a lot of seam rust is caused by the sealer that VW originally used. He said it is breaking down and absorbing moisture. Terry said he cleaned out his seams, then blasted them, etched them, primed them and used 3M Automix Heavy-Bodied Seam Sealer

Two-part epoxy, heavy-body seam sealer for use in vertical or horizontal seams to match OEM sealers. Non-sagging, non-flowing, and excellent tooling. Fast cure-through. Paintable in 30 minutes to increase productivity. Apply directly over primed metal-matches OEM seams. Flexible over a wide range of temperatures. No shrinkage, cracking or outgassing. Work time = 10 minutes. Paintable = 30 minutes.

I'm going to be undertaking this on my van and will update.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can check out my website!

Turned out OK. Better yet, no more leaks = no more rust.

The trick is to take a deep breath and remove the cracked OEM seam sealer and then re-coat it (primer) then use a modern sealer.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/vanagon/

Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: