Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covering Walk Thru Bulkheads
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Covering Walk Thru Bulkheads Reply with quote

I have a 65 walk thru deluxe. I want to cover the partition behind the front seats but don't have anything to work off of. There are some photos around but if anyone has some that show more detail that would be a great help. Specifically, where are the seams, and how much is covered on the panel behind the seat?
Thanks

This a photo from Sewfine that shows the walk thru bulkhead area in question.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure from your post what you are looking for.

I stripped all the interior panels from a '67 Standard walk-thru last year. I'll include a picture below that shows the original walk-thru bulkhead panels compared to some reproduction ones. The original panels have been sold and I have the repros listed for sale here. I could take some dimensions from the repros if that helps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about the material that covers the metal partition behing the two front seats. Not the walk thru panels that screw to the partition.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I know what you mean.

This is the only picture I have in my files that shows the bulkhead panels removed but the material still on the bulkhead. Maybe it will help.

I pulled the material off the passenger side bulkhead but it didn't all come off in one piece. I still have a fairly large chunk of it and would be happy to let you borrow it if it would help. I did not try to pull the material off the driver's side. Send me a pm with your address if you want me to send the piece that I have left.

-Stan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another picture that I found which might help.

In this picture I have already stripped off the upper part of the upholstery from the passenger side bulkhead. You can see the white paint on the upper part of the bulkhead. Upholstery still remains on the rest of the passenger side bulkhead and is complete on the driver's side bulkhead.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this picture kind of shows it. the seam is near the middle of the transition. I can take better photos in a few weeks.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the seam on the curve. I also found a pic that shows a seam also going down the front that angles.

I see in the above photos it only wraps around and inch or two on top and doesn't cover the whole front side of the partition. Is that correct? I can't tell how much it wraps on the side. The same couple of inches?

Is it three pieces on each side?

Oh heck, any upholsteres out there with a patten Question Smile
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was trying to pull it off, it certainly seemed like it was all one piece. I think there is a major seam on the inside top corner that tore away easily. I'll take a look at the piece I salvaged tonight and see if it might help.

-Stan
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHG wrote:
I can see the seam on the curve. I also found a pic that shows a seam also going down the front that angles.

I see in the above photos it only wraps around and inch or two on top and doesn't cover the whole front side of the partition. Is that correct? I can't tell how much it wraps on the side. The same couple of inches?

Is it three pieces on each side?

Oh heck, any upholsteres out there with a patten Question Smile

Why don't you just ask Lenny at WCC? I'd send you pics of mine, but I'm gone till May...wanna wait?
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piece I have shows how the three seperate pieces come together pretty well.
This shows the top inner corner of the piece behind the passenger seat.

You can really see how it works on the backside.

Send me a pm if you want to borrow this piece or have me send higher res. photos as e-mail attachments.
-Stan
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stan Very Happy Those photos are great. I should be able to cobble something together now.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same question about my 65 walk thru bus. TMI is repopping salt n peppa but no one seems to be repopping the vinyl that goes over top of the bulkhead. I discovered mine were missing after i re pop rivetter the OG panels back in place. oh joy..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Covering Walk Thru Bulkheads Reply with quote

LHG wrote:
I have a 65 walk thru deluxe. I want to cover the partition behind the front seats but don't have anything to work off of. There are some photos around but if anyone has some that show more detail that would be a great help. Specifically, where are the seams, and how much is covered on the panel behind the seat?
Thanks

This a photo from Sewfine that shows the walk thru bulkhead area in question.

That's my bus there.
Sewfine has all this info on hand, and did a very workmanlike job.
As close to original as any I've seen.
Here's some other pix also taken before I detailed the dashboard:

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHG,

The scrap piece of upholstery I have is on it's way to you. You'll be able to tell a lot from it. Just return it when you are done. It looks like they used at least three pieces and the top layer is folded over about a 1/4 inch at the stitched seams.

Nice bus there J.dot, Sewfine does nice interiors. They did some seat covers for my Vanagon Westy several years ago that have held up well and still look good after 5 years.

-Stan
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pickens, while searching for photos of a finished bulkhead, I came across yours on the Sewfine website. I've been using that set for reference. Between the photos of yours, and the stuff Stan has supplied, my upholsterer buddy say he can do it. Thanks
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to wrap the bulkhead vinyl on my 65 walk thru deluxe and I'm looking for some more detailed pictures of this sewn vinyl, location of seams on tubing, the juntion of the 3 pcs in the corner behind the seat and behind the rivited on panel and where it terminates at the "B" pillars.

OG material pictures preferred...I'd love to check out an original interior W/T bus in person...anyone in the Phoenix, AZ area down for a visit?

Thanks,
Roy

www.azbusclub.org
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of my original drivers side bulkhead cover.
If you need more pictures, let me know, I still have them.
Right side is different in length and angle.
Christian

rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are perfect! Thank you.
It appears the vinyl is just cut flush at the "B" pillars with no sewn edge at all where the blukhead rail meets the headliner material?
Same at the bottoms of the triangle panel where it terminates under the walk thru side panel rubber.

www.azbusclub.org
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=917161

I have a 62 walkthth you could come check out if still needed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in the Dakota's was reproducing the pre sewn sections within the last year or two. Perhaps Everett coulde assist in finding the member? I tried a couple of different searches but came up empty.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: