Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 Mango is home
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got most of the '61 Mango cleaned out. At least most of the smell is gone. The cargo floor is mostly solid with plenty of good OG paint. Notice the Mango overspray in the corner.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enkiel wrote:
wow.

btw, no pictures of the interior?

as requested, first shot of interior with middle seat in place
Mmmm Carmel Drool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately a nice middle seat
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking sweet man!....

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to see the super-swanky Ralph Loren car collection yesterday at the MFA in Boston. It was an open hood session so we got to see all the engines of the various Bentley's, Alfas, Jag, Porsches, M-Bs, Ferraris, etc.

It inspired me to have an open hood session of my own with the '61 Mango and pull the motor out. I need to fix a broken exhaust stud, clean out the gas tank, do some rust repair (battery tray is gone) and whatever else I can think of while the motor is out of the way. The 40hp motor is a runner though, so hopefully it will stay together.

KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's one way to get the gas in the carb.... Laughing

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 10/5/05

Been working on the front and back simultaneously. Gettin' more done now that the show season is winding down.
-Orig. motor has a new main seal and is ready for minor freshening up (plugs, points, wires, clutch, etc.) before re-installing
-Gas tank is cleaned, sealed and painted
-4 bias ply tires are mounted and all holding air in their tubes
-Rear clip is cut for right rear inner corner replacement metal

-Window frames on bus are all de-rusted, primed and painted with DuPont Nason paint (Seagull Grey) and ready for glass installation
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bus...Good fine
eroseme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks exactly like the Mango that my parents bought new in '61, in Sacramento, CA (except I think we had the small round mirrors). I got to drive it for 2 years when I turned 16 in '72. I have always wondered how it is referred to. Is it a Standard? Do you call it an 11 window, or what? By the time I got to drive it, my sisters had broken every pane of glass except the small back window. That interior shot really brings back the memories - it looks just like I remember!

Keep posting the photos. I've always wished for a photo of our old bus.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1961 Standard Microbus, can also be called a station wagon, standard, or Mango standard (reference to lower color; Mango green). Not usually referred to as an 11 window though.

You mean round mirrors like these:

Did your '61 also have the "big spoon" pop-out windows? I can't wait to feel the breeze with all 6 of mine open in the summertime.
eroseme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, only the way-back window popped out, and it was towards the rear. It did not pop out as far as yours does. We did not have the ariel, either. The middle seat looks pretty perfect to me. I took ours out because I hauled 3 motorcycles and friends to the motocross races every weekend. A 40hp bus stuffed with people and motos climbing these monster grades to get to the motocross tracks. What a great bus.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eroseme wrote:
As I recall, only the way-back window popped out, and it was towards the rear. It did not pop out as far as yours does. We did not have the ariel, either. The middle seat looks pretty perfect to me. I took ours out because I hauled 3 motorcycles and friends to the motocross races every weekend. A 40hp bus stuffed with people and motos climbing these monster grades to get to the motocross tracks. What a great bus.

What did you do with the middle seat?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-dot on the hunt............. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a little progress on the '61 Mango while the wife is away having a new baby Cool

Baby (Madelyn Rose) and Mom are doing just fine. Unfortunately the Mango won't be ready for the drive home from the hospital tomorrow.

I cut out the inner rear corner and treated some rust with Rust Mort. I've got a clip and repo battery tray to fit in now. Surprisingly the OG battery strap is still in fairly good shape.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
Made a little progress on the '61 Mango while the wife is away having a new baby 8)

Baby (Madelyn Rose) and Mom are doing just fine. Unfortunately the Mango won't be ready for the drive home from the hospital tomorrow.

Congratulations Stan!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
I cut out the inner rear corner and treated some rust with Rust Mort. I've got a clip and repo battery tray to fit in now. Surprisingly the OG battery strap is still in fairly good shape.

hope you have a title for that bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've got a title. I also still have the chassis plate that attaches to the upper part of engine shelf as well as the M-code plate. The replacement clip is from a later bus (with a different VIN#, of course). There was nothing left of the original VIN# in the rusty engine shelf.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
Yes I've got a title. I also still have the chassis plate that attaches to the upper part of engine shelf as well as the M-code plate. The replacement clip is from a later bus (with a different VIN#, of course). There was nothing left of the original VIN# in the rusty engine shelf.

as long as you have the title, they will likely never look at the vin.

there was a rusty original paint singlecab that I didn't buy last year because it no vin due to rust and there was no title. I figured that the DMV would not like that at all.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had to inspect my VIN in order to issue me a new title since I bought my bus out of state.

Lind wrote:
Stanagon wrote:

as long as you have the title, they will likely never look at the vin.

there was a rusty original paint singlecab that I didn't buy last year because it no vin due to rust and there was no title. I figured that the DMV would not like that at all.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

langsmer wrote:
Bias-plys are poop. They stoped making them for a reason! Smile

really? when did they stop making bias plys?

stan, congrats on the new bambeen!

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: