Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Post-New Twist (Tools/Parts/Materials list) FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Old Post-New Twist (Tools/Parts/Materials list) FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110394&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Old Post-New Twist (Tools/Parts/Materials list) FAQ[/url]

This post pops up every spring so I decided to create the a list of items to have for the do it yourself Road Warriors out there. I scoured the posts over the last couple years and came up with this list of tools, parts, and materials you may want to have with you while on the road. I made this from all the other past lists people created because I could never really find "complete" list that included the parts, tools, and materials you would want while roaming the country side.

I myself carry most of what Ive listed, and what I don't currently have Im going to get. My goal was to create a list of items that fulfilled a few requirements: Items that consistently break or are problematic and the needed tools for fixing, parts (or tools) that are hard to find while on the road which are show stoppers when it breaks and you don't have a spare (ie. Fan Belt), and things you need to have to drag yourself into a mechanic a town or the nearest parts store to get a replacement part. I would love to get feedback on this list, maybe refine it to the point it can be posted as a sticky without this lengthy preface.

In addition to specific tool/part/material feedback (ie. "your missing a ??? in the list") Id like to get input from people on "Roadside Fixes" to limp you back to the nearest parts store. In other words, if there is a way to fix or rig something to work for another hundred miles to get you to the parts store to pick up a common part like a fuel pump, or distributor there is no reason to take one! Ill accumulate those and maybe come up with a format and add them to the post. Maybe a format that includes: The Problem, The engine Type and year, Materials/Tools needed for fix, Expected results (How far can I go?) and a quick and dirty procedure finished by any warnings (ie. Foil on a fuse may ignite!) I do however agree that some items would be nice to just have a spare of or as I mentioned previously, hard to find in places like South Dakota so they should be included!

Ive also listed some tools and items below with (Type I) after it meaning that it pertains only to that engine. Please send or label (Type IV) items that pertain only to that engine too. I see a list for all bays as being the most useful for everyone in the "Bay Window Forum". I know this becomes a very "grey" area with what to bring, but I would like this list to be a VERY complete "minimalist" list which includes ALL tools needed to get most jobs done, but not extra un-needed tools or parts (Im not bringing a spare engine block with me, but if there is a remote chance Ill need a 22mm box wrench I should have it). Again this is an accumulation of many people's inputs, I included things Ive never carried but enough people mentioned it that I thought it necessary to add it.

Id like to thank everyone on the Samba who has provided info for this topic especially: Everette, Randy In Maine, Ratwell, krisw, toddb_67, bajatacoma, MrBubblehead, cobusdriver, aross229, amskeptic and many others as well as Mr. Bentley and Mr. Muir whom I also read through again because I really just get my info from you guys anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep this post to a minimum (ie. don't quote the list); instead PM me your edits or just list the part/tool/material and I will add them to the list below so we can eventually just sticky the list, otherwise keep it short and just reference what should be added or removed or changed. Ive tried to group items to make it easier to read but some things may need to be shifted around. Criticism is welcome, half this stuff is from you guys anyway. I do, however expect reasoning as to why something should be added or removed, this needs to be a general consensus. Ive already consulted some of the other guru's to make the initial post something fairly complete, but if something becomes a debate, Ill post it as a Poll for everyone to vote on in a seperate thread! Enjoy!

Green = Minimalist, Must Have Tools (so far...) Shoud fit a small tool box. Items necessary for the most common fixes, like a blown fuse or broken fan belt (Type 1 specific)
Red = Questionable, should these be removed??? Too easy to find at the nearest FLAPS or maybe the odds of it going bad aren't enough?

Tools:

-Screw drivers (1ea.-large/medium/small flathead/phillips + medium flathead/phillips shorties)
-3/8" Rachet, 3/8" to 1/2" Adapter, 3" and 6" Extensions
-3/8" Socket Set (8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19,30,36) + 13mm deep socket.
-21mm deep socket (for spark plugs)
-1/2" Breaker Bar
-Box Wrenches (7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21)
-Allen wrenches (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,17)
-XZN aka "Triple square" or Allen for CV Joint (6mm?)
-Crescent Wrench (small and Large 10")
-Pliers (Regular, Needle Nose, wirecutter, Channel Lock)
-Vice Grips (Regular, Needle Nose)
-Tire Gauge
-Hack Saw (extra blades)
-Magnetic Grabber
-Floor Jack/Lug Nut Wrench
-Hammer
-Utility Knife
-Scissors
-Metal Files (small; round and flat)
-Wire Brush
-Jumper Cables
-Flashlight/headlamp
-Tow Strap
-Tire Pump

Tuning Equiptment:

-Feeler Gauges (Spin out set with standard sizes)
-Tach Dwell Meter
-Timing Light
-Compression Tester
-voltmeter/light bulb tester

Parts:

-Fuel Line (3-5 ft)
-Fan Belt x 2 (Type 1)
-Fuses (A few of each 8 and 16 Amp)
-Ignition Coil
-Fuel Pump
-Fuel Filters (A few are good)
-Spark Plugs (Set of 4)
-Valve Cover Gaskets x2 pair
-Clutch Cable
-Throttle Cable
-Points/Condensor/Rotor and Distributor Cap or spare distributor
-Generator Brushes (Type 1)
-voltage Regulator
-Spare Tire
-Carb Rebuild Kit or Spare Carb or gasket material.
-Front Wheel Bearings
-Greased CV Joint
-Turn signal bulbs
-Headlight or Bulbs for H4's
-Oil change Kit (Gaskets and Washers)
-Hose clamps in various sizes

Materials:

-Road Flares
-Fire Extinguisher
-Moly. Grease
-Misc. screws,nuts,bolts,washers (8,10,13mm sizes useful)
-Waterless Handcleaner
-Rags
-Wood blocks (2x6's)
-Electrical Kit (Connectors, Ends, Wire 10g,14g x ~10ft, Elect. Tape)
-Oil (Enough for a complete change + a quart or two)
-Transmission fluid (2qts)
-Brake Fluid
-Carb cleaner
-Liquid Wrench
-crazy Glue
-Bailing Wire (30ft Roll)
-Duct Tape
-Mat to work on under bus

Other:

-Bentley Guide
-John Muir Guide
-AAA membership
-Cell phone
-Airs List

Last edited by Adventurewagen on Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:03 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the list of items is perfect? Shocked Ive got a couple PM's but nobody really has anything to say. I thought people would get into a hot debate over bringing something or not? Confused

You can post threads to this, I just asked not to re-quote the entire list over and over. Rolling Eyes

So lets hear it, if nobody really needs a list or if there is one already posted on a site somewhere Im not goint to try to sticky the list or have it added to the current one.
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have too many sockets in the 3/8" ratchet range.
8 9 mm. Are too small to exist or be usable.
19 30 36 mm. Are too large to exist or likely to lead to a broken ratchet.
orangekoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some latex/nitrile gloves, oil pan for changes, hylomar or other gasket sealant, first aid kit...just off the top of my head. I'm sure this will get longer and longer.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinfalls wrote:
I think you have too many sockets in the 3/8" ratchet range.
8 9 mm. Are too small to exist or be usable.
19 30 36 mm. Are too large to exist or likely to lead to a broken ratchet.

Im trying to think of where an 8 or 9mm socket would be used. Those may not be necessary, Ill try to find out. Like I said this is an accumulation from alot of sources. I think Muir listed an 8,9 in the mix along with the 19,30 and 36.

I would recommend the 19 for lug nuts and 36 for Type 1's, its used to get the nut off the back of the generator, which is really nice if you need to get to the fan shroud or other items quick without having to dismantle half your engine to get the generator/fan piece out.

As for the latex gloves, oil pan and first aid kit. Those are great items, maybe the gloves should be added, but they really aren't necessary. I mean if you break down and need to fix something and don't have gloves its not going to stop you from fixing it. Maybe another list should be created for useful items to have along on a trip. Id like to keep this list to just things to fix the bus.

Thanks guys!
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget your floaties. Just incase of water crossings. Laughing
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need floaties, but have you seen the top on my bus!!! Its one huge frickin floaty. Wink
mycoleptodiscus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: No offense but... Reply with quote

What does all that stuff weigh?? A couple hundred pounds Smile forget about bringing any cargo or passengers along Smile What about the kitchen sink-Oh wait, my Westy's already got one! Check Smile I'm all for American self-sufficiency, but how about a little trust in the kindness of strangers. If you REALLY needed alot of this stuff, my experience has been that there are enough nice people in the world who would drive you to an auto parts store/hardware store and back to your van to make most of the items above unnecessary. It's not that I'm knocking the above list, it's just a different philosophy. Just my 2 cents

3/8" metric sockets 7,10,13,17,19
combination wrenches 10,7,13,17,19
1 large high quality adj. wrench(for larger metric sizes)
metric allen(alt. adj. bolt)
headlamp(petzl)
voltmeter
Bentley
alt. belt
duct tape
mechanic's wire
fuses
headlight

This should all fit in a small toolbox.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its definately a preference thing. All my stuff fits in a medium tool box and a flat rubbermaid box which I put up above (2x3ft x 6in deep). I guess thats a disadvantage of a Westy in that you don't have as much big storage, but Im sure a couple small boxes would hold everything in the closet space provided.

I actually carry more than what was put together on the list, but when you live in the bus its nice to have lots of bits and pieces to use and it really doesn't take up too much space. And yes I do also have room to bring along my wife, my dog, clothing, food and lots of climbing gear!

So you gave a good mini list, maybe you can help. I though about highlighting items in the list as MUST have items. When I usually drive the bus I just bring my small tool box which is about 1/3 the tools list. I still want to create the master list. When I first started driving the bus around I brought every tool I owned and eventually realized things like a 16mm socket was useless and that I didn't need 50 screw drivers. So this list is somewhat to look at and say to yourself "Of the items I would bring is there anything Im missing or taking along thats extra"

Again, thanks for the input. Ill mod the list later today.
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB weld
2 part epoxy
Super glue

A few small pieces of aluminum/steel sheet metal for patch jobs

A small pry bar

A tire plug set... even if you have a spare... doesnt take up much room!

A source of fire, if they are matches... in a plastic bag.

A few quarts/gallons of water... to keep the mechanic from dehydrating.

How about some fuses... and some jumper wire in case you need to get moving and dont... ahem... care about the said device.

Some wire, crimp connections... and a crimper/stripper would be handy. Hmm... spare strippers...

Sorry, brains not thinking about parts any more.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a few glow sticks (you can get big 12" on on eBay for a few bucks)... they keep forever and I don't have to worry about dead batteries...
69_camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used small wrenches 7, 8, 9 when replacing my brake cylinder. now they sit in the bottom of my toolbox and arent taking up much room or weight.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One edit, if I may.

I have a T4 with a voltage regulator ('73) so it's not really a T1 only item.
Good list!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A roll of gasket material and a utility knife. That could proabably replace the carb rebuild kit too, and be more useful.

The list of wrenches seems extensive. I've only had to use a 7, 10, and 13 mm wrench so far. Sockets a few more...
panasonic90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the list a bit extensive, many of those things shouldn't be necessary if you check and tune your bay before a trip. How much does that list weight? how much space does it take?

What about clutch and gas cables?
74 bay ambulance
type 4 2lt carbs engine
69_camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark
sorry im pretty new to this...how would the gasket material and ute knife replace that?
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good replies, Ill edit the list. Ive just been working too much lately.

As for the excessiveness and weight of the list... If you could all read the post, all be it long winded it explains the thoroughness of the list and why I included what I did. (Im gonna take a picture of my tools and parts and attach them to the post) Sounds like alot, but its not too much.

For all of you who have the John Muir book you know he has a tool list in three stages. My list is basically every tool you could need while on the road including parts and materials with some updated tools and materials.

The eventual goal would be to maybe 'rate' or 'star' each item so you could choose your own list.

My other idea was to have a resource you could use to compare your own tool list against. If you were like me as I bought sets of tools they ALL went into the tool box. Then one day I thought "do I really need this 16mm socket" After determining their wasn't anything 16mm I chucked it into my shop box. Hence the completeness of the list.

If you don't think you want a spare CV boot or the bit to get them off, then you leave it out of the list. But if you run over a branch like me in middle of nowhere Wyoming and tear your CV boot, that little box with a spare boot and CV grease along with the rubber gloves becomes a god send!!! Hence my other points. Very Happy
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69_camper wrote:
DurocShark
sorry im pretty new to this...how would the gasket material and ute knife replace that?

An emergency repair to a carb is pretty much going to be a gasket replacement. Either to pull it apart or fix a leak. A rebuild kit isn't much more than gaskets and a needle and seat valve. A roll of gasket material and knife will let you make whatever gasket you need. Not just for a carb.

I recently made the gaskets for the intake manifolds and they work beautifully.
FlametopFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: bump Reply with quote

just wanted to bump this up to the top again, am re-tooling the old rolling workshop on the new bus/kombi/westie/van/micro/station wagon/thingy/bay window
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: