Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Post-New Twist (Tools/Parts/Materials list) FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good deal. Now that we have the "edit" function I'll go back through and add stuff to the list.

To get things rolling again, what items from the list do you see as missing. Same rule applies as before, list the missing item and why you carry it and what it's used for.

A "six pack" isn't useful Cool, I think we've had alot of those threads already.

I'll try to start to color code items for the "minimalist list". How big should it be, enough items to fit inside a small tool box? Remember, you guys make the list, not me. What I've done to make the list is just compile the biggest lists previously posted and try to eliminate items nobody agreed on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FlametopFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To which are you referring as eseential: the bike or the girl?
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurewagen wrote:
-Torx-head (6mm for CV Joint)

It's a Triple Square. Not a Torx.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluggo wrote:
Adventurewagen wrote:

Not all of 'em. Especially if they were replaced by a PO.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Adventurewagen wrote:

I've seen triple square and allen head, never a torx.

I don't carry boxes full of spare parts, toolboxes full of tools, spare motors, transmission...none of it. I make sure my Bus is in tip top shape BEFORE I leave,and have never had a breakdown doing between 10 and 12K miles every summer daily driving my Bus. This also includes camping trips of 1200 miles + total. I've had one breakdown in the past 5 years, a coil crapped out on me in Erie, PA. $15 at autozone and I was back on the road. Fully charged cell phone and a AAA GOLD card are your best friends if trouble arises. Even my '62 15 window made an 1100 mile round trip camping last summer with 3 adults and all of our camping stuff in 97-100 degree heat and had no trouble whatsoever. Fix your Bus before you leave, not on the side of the highway 500 miles from home.

Last edited by VDubTech on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
DurocShark wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Adventurewagen wrote:

Same here. My originals were Allen. My replacements were Triple Square. And I just happened to be looking at Ratwells site about 10 minutes ago and it specifically states "CV joint tool. This is an XZN or "triple-square" bit. It's not a torx and essential. Some older cv joint bolts use hex (allen) head so be sure not to mix the two".
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
DurocShark wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Adventurewagen wrote:

I don't carry boxes full of spare parts, toolboxes full of tools, spare motors, transmission...none of it. I make sure my Bus is in tip top shape BEFORE I leave,and have never had a breakdown doing between 10 and 12K miles every summer daily driving my Bus. This also includes camping trips of 1200 miles + total. I've had one breakdown in the past 5 years, a coil crapped out on me in Erie, PA. $15 at autozone and I was back on the road. Fully charged cell phone and a AAA GOLD card are your best friends if trouble arises. Even my '62 15 window made an 1100 mile round trip camping last summer with 3 adults and all of our camping stuff in 97-100 degree heat and had no trouble whatsoever. Fix your Bus before you leave, not on the side of the highway 500 miles from home.

It's been corrected. I listed Triple square and Allen. Is 6mm correct for both sizes?

and yes, we all understand a good tuned bus should run for a very long time and you could go for miles without ever needing a part. But for the sake of conversation could we pretend that not everybody has new/replaced or good working parts on everything on their bus and may want to carry a hard to find spare and the tools to fix it while broken down in the middle of nowhere Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Fully charged cell phone and a AAA GOLD card are your best friends if trouble arises.

Agreed and added to the list. Now even you can pick a few items off the minimalist list and be happy Very Happy
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently you missed the point of my post...which was...to not breakdown in the middle of nowhere in the first place. I certainly haven't replaced nearly every mehcanical part on my Bus, quite the contrary actually. It has all new tune up parts, fuel lines,vacuum hoses, battery cables, and front brake pads. Everything else works just fine. I bought my Rivi this spring and have driven just over 9000 miles since putting it on the road in May. I have towed a U-Haul trailer full of parts 500 miles in a weekend to swap at shows. I drive my Bus daily, it is hardly babied. I would drive it anywhere, without a question in my mind. No idea how many actual miles are on it, it wasn't running when I Got it and the odometer gear was broken anyway. If you drive sensibly and know your vehicle and it's limits, there is no reason for you to be broken down in the middle of nowhere. Carrying around 500 pounds in used parts and 200 pounds of tools just isn't a necessary thing to do for me. Carry whatever puts your little mind at ease when leaving the house in your Bus. My '03 Altima coiuld break down in the middle of nowhere just as easily as the Bus, but I don't carry a trunk full of tools and parts in that when I take it out either. Whatever makes you comfortable....
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Evidently you missed the point of my post...which was...to not breakdown in the middle of nowhere in the first place. I certainly haven't replaced nearly every mehcanical part on my Bus, quite the contrary actually. It has all new tune up parts, fuel lines,vacuum hoses, battery cables, and front brake pads. Everything else works just fine. I bought my Rivi this spring and have driven just over 9000 miles since putting it on the road in May. I have towed a U-Haul trailer full of parts 500 miles in a weekend to swap at shows. I drive my Bus daily, it is hardly babied. I would drive it anywhere, without a question in my mind. No idea how many actual miles are on it, it wasn't running when I Got it and the odometer gear was broken anyway. If you drive sensibly and know your vehicle and it's limits, there is no reason for you to be broken down in the middle of nowhere. Carrying around 500 pounds in used parts and 200 pounds of tools just isn't a necessary thing to do for me. Carry whatever puts your little mind at ease when leaving the house in your Bus. My '03 Altima coiuld break down in the middle of nowhere just as easily as the Bus, but I don't carry a trunk full of tools and parts in that when I take it out either. Whatever makes you comfortable....

I thought I got your point exactly Sad . AAA card and Cell phone. The entire point of my post is to make a list not to discuss the merit of whether or we need a list or parts. I think you're a valuable asset to the community and value input on this subject. If you have edits you'd like to see please let me know, otherwise I just can't help you with your point unless I add another section called the "Nothing List" right above the minimalist list Twisted Evil My "little mind" was definately at ease when I burnt a wheel cylinder in South Dakota after 8k+ miles on the road one summer. A couple hours later + a beer or two and we were back on the road, no tow truck needed to be called on the cell phone that didn't have service anyway and our trip continued on without issue.

My goal is to have a bus in which I carry useful tools/parts/ and materials that I dont need to use ever. Some how though life and my VW along with other peoples VW's get other ideas. I'd appreciate help with the list, otherwise please let others work on it and stick to all the other threads. This is why the "list" thread never went anywhere in the first place, but somehow we get "What do I need to bring for my trip" threads ALL the stinking time!
captnbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the road and have missed alot of this but did stumbled across "twin falls" seperate thread evidently looking to build database "most used". I am a '77 westy 2.oL westy w/ hard core self reliant streak. With all due respect to "VDubTech" the difference between n '03 Altima and a '70's era bus is that there are not the many mechanics who can troubleshoot our systems. An '03 Altima is easy because you interrogate the ECU and it reports trouble codes, then you pull up the trouble shooting protocol on the computer and away you go. Not so us. Many mechanics today havn't got a clue how to trouble shoot carbs, much less 1st generation bosh F.I. I carry every F.I. component (ECU, airbox, etc.), drive train component (wheel bearings, CVC joints, boots, etc.), ignition (spare plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc.) plus the necessary tools (including scissor, push, and roller jacks). I can pull my engine in the middle of nowhere, spiff up valve & seats, replace rings, dress up a scuffing piston, replace a small end bearing, pop & replace seals and pretty much anything short of crunched main/big end bearings. All this stuff may indeed go 200lbs. (I doubt it) but when you're nowhere ask yourself "how much is it worth?" Having thought about this I think the core question is: "What would I like to have had so that I didn't have to get towed in for a $200 fix i could have done myself?" The bottom line is these debates are very much situation dependent. If your in CA where VW is still alive and well w/ numerous knowledgable mechanics to fix your problem due diligence and preparation is much deminished (assuming you have the bucks), Reality is there are many, many other places where your on you own (or can wait weeks while the mechanic "refreshes" his memory) and if you can't fix it you may be in for an unpleasant experience. Keep on truckin, Captnbilly is on the road and headin to "nowhere". (As to a precise list that's tantimount to an inventory. When I prep for Canada I'll see what I can do.)
Kursive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: old but bump worthy Reply with quote

Great thread, very useful green highlighted list; working to collect a proper set of road-side tools for when I get my bus back on the street.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Going on a trip, what parts are necessary to carry with me? Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
I have a 72 bus with a 2.0 914 swap in it.

I tried searching my but case is slightly different then others as its has the 914 in it (at least that's what I have determined it to be?).

For starters i'm replacing the points, getting a vw mechanic to look it over, changing out fuel lines and liquids.

Im planning on going down to Arizona from BC Canada, then over though California and up the coast home, so its going to be a decent length trip. I shouldn't have a problem finding shops in California if I need help, but I just want to have some spare parts just incase.

Here is a pic of my engine bay incase im mistaken on it being a 914 motor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PS: I already replaced the gasket before you guys say it Smile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of oil with that oil cooler.

Good luck
Tcash
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked That's an oil cooler??? So all the heat from the oil goes to the cylinder heads Embarassed Embarassed Question Question At least you can check it for leaks easy enough- gotta crawl under my bus to check for cooler leaks, or just park on clean concrete.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Tools and Supplies Reply with quote

Thanks to mayor ratwell
VW Maintenance Toolkit

Thanks to DarrylD's
Travel Kit
Carrying case -
Plastic bag with fuses -
Fuel pump diaphragm -
Points -
Spark plug -
Exhaust valves -
Valve spring -
Valve keepers -
Valve adjusting screw -
Oil drain plug -
Spark plug connector (suppressor cap) -
V-belt -
Carb top gasket -
Turtle of Hope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Post-New Twist (Tools/Parts/Materials list) FAQ Reply with quote

"XZN aka "Triple square" or Allen for CV Joint (6mm?) "

I believe mine had 6mm allen and 8mm triple square.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Old Post-New Twist (Tools/Parts/Materials list) FAQ Reply with quote

You should roll under YOUR car with a pick , clean out the heads of the CV bolts, all 30 of them, and buy all of the tools needed to fit, or replace odd ones to rationalize what has been put on your Bus to a single tool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: